Thread: Want to bring Kung Fu into MMA

Want to bring Kung Fu into MMA

longtime lurker here. Help me get into MMA! I want to bring wing chun that looks like wing chun (and other kung fu styles) into the light. I am training 4-5 days a week along side a job. This is a dream and I would first fight amateur then see where that takes me. Thanks. There are other vids on my youtube, though I am much improved.

http://www.gofundme.com/eao5co

Quote Originally Posted by xVCx View Post
    longtime lurker here. Help me get into MMA! I want to bring wing chun that looks like wing chun (and other kung fu styles) into the light. I am training 4-5 days a week along side a job. This is a dream and I would first fight amateur then see where that takes me. Thanks. There are other vids on my youtube, though I am much improved.

http://www.gofundme.com/eao5co
    Join a MMA gym, learn and train and take it from there.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I am already a member at a gym, the issue is that the training and privates and associated costs add up.

I am already a member at a gym, the issue is that the training and privates and associated costs add up.
    If you are a member of a MMA gym then your coach can help you get your fights, if he thinks you are ready.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Blog Entries
    I appreciate what you are trying to do and wish you the best of luck.
    in the video you are generating power in your strikes with your limbs only (arm punching and leg kicking). You need to engage your core muscles and hip into your strikes to get more explosive whole body power.

you also need to work alot on your distancing and timing.
    Last edited by kung fu fighter; 09-10-2014 at 11:24 AM.

I don't know that you have much choice in this. Running any sort of training facility costs $$$ and trainers have to make a living, and it is only reasonable that you as a user pay some of the costs. While there are exceptions, most combat sport trainers make modest livings and cannot afford to act like charities.

You might be able to arrange some sort of sponsorship arrangement, but until you get some sort of fight record this is most unlikely, and even then is unlikely to be much more than free clothes, supplements, training equipment or similar.

I've managed to get free use of a gym and reduced fees at another in exchange for teaching, but this only happened after about 15 years training and 10 years teaching (for Wing Chun) and reaching brown belt level (for BJJ). So I wouldn't expect this to happen anytime soon.

Training for competition in any sport usually requires a good amount of expense and sacrifice. No way around it.

If you want to blaze your own trail rather than follow the likely MMA coach's approach of boxing/MT, wrestling/judo, and bjj/sambo/catch, you may find it difficult to find a coach who will both let you do things your way and also give you a reduced rate for tuition.

You may want to consider training with a good MMA coach and following his methods, then when you have succeeded there adding your WC or modifying what you have to include WC.

There is standup fighting, clinch fighting and groundfighting. You need to have skills in all areas to succeed in MMA, but good MMA is more than just learning the other three disciplines. You can't just modularise it and swap out the kickboxing module and swap in a WC module. You have to have an integrated approach, and it is not easy to find a coach with this level of experience and understanding, let alone develop it as a student.

Alan Orr is an example of one coach who has succeeded in this area. You should look at what he does, maybe consider training with him. Some think he "isn't doing Wing Chun" but those people IMO aren't ever going to succeed in MMA.

"That being said where I differ from traditionalist martial artists who enter cage fighting competitions is that I am also training the martial arts that are already utilized within the competitions."

This is actually not at all unusual. I've been training BJJ alongside WC for 15 years and hold a BJJ black belt. Two schools and two lots of fees, plus working full time. Other forum members have had similar experiences.

My WC school is a Machado affiliate BJJ school, and we had a Persian wrestling coach operating out of our gym for a number of years. A few of our guys have had MMA fights with mixed success, but we are not trying to be an MMA gym. I've dabbled in MMA training at the BJJ school but at 59 I'm not ever going to get in the ring. I know plenty of other KF and karate guys who also train BJJ. And some do MMA and/or kickboxing.

You may also have to face the inconvenient possibility that, for the vast majority, boxing and MT provide more effective standup skills for MMA than Kung Fu does.

Best of luck in any case. Hope my reality sandwich isn't too hard to digest.
    Last edited by anerlich; 09-10-2014 at 04:23 PM.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Hi Guys

Does this mean that kung Fu and Traditional Karate , Tae Kwon Do will never be any good in Ultimate Fighting ? Why are there know practitioners useing Kung Fu , Karate , Tae Kwon Do in Ultimate Fighting ? And altering these systems from there orignal way they are used or look like makeing them look like Kickboxing or Brazillian Jujitsu doe snt even look like those systems any more there was a time in the mid ninties when Ultimate Fighting was first around that you seen traditional styles used in Ultimate Fighting so what happened ? I remember seeing a Ninja a White Tiger Karate Guy and even a Kung fu Guy Fighting in the mid nineties ultimate Fighting .

Quote Originally Posted by Firehawk4 View Post
    Does this mean that kung Fu and Traditional Karate , Tae Kwon Do will never be any good in Ultimate Fighting ? Why are there know practitioners useing Kung Fu , Karate , Tae Kwon Do in Ultimate Fighting ? And altering these systems from there orignal way they are used or look like makeing them look like Kickboxing or Brazillian Jujitsu doe snt even look like those systems any more there was a time in the mid ninties when Ultimate Fighting was first around that you seen traditional styles used in Ultimate Fighting so what happened ? I remember seeing a Ninja a White Tiger Karate Guy and even a Kung fu Guy Fighting in the mid nineties ultimate Fighting .
    If you know what Shotokan Karate and many other Japanese karate systems look like in action, you can see it very clearly when Lyoto Machida fights. Of course, MMA fighters must cross-train and can't do only one type of MA exclusively and succeed in the octagon. Other guys have successfully (and very dramatically) incorporated their TKD kicks into MMA. These guys began in those arts, and excelled at them before getting into MMA...and they have shown them to be effective in the the MMA context.

I've been eating this so called reality sandwich. I changed the video to some light sparring if you want to take a look. The main coach I am training with can get the fights as he is known in the MMA community. I do well against other striking arts though I plan to incorporate a bit of everything, but with the majority being what I'm most comfortable with which is wing chun.

Just out of curiosity, where do you train Wing Chun?