Thread: Kingdom

Kingdom

Been meaning to start a thread on this one for some time. Got inspired today with the Variety article I just posted on the Badlands thread.

09/12/2014
    Nick Jonas Will Be Nude And Possibly Gay For His Upcoming Role in 'Kingdom' - VIDEO
    By Kyler Geoffroy

During an appearance on Watch What Happens Live with Andy Cohen, Nick Jonas dropped a few juicy tidbits about his upcoming MMA drama series Kingdom - revealing that not only will there be "three or four sex scenes" involving "a lot of nudity," but that his character has a big storyline revolving around his sexuality.

"Is he like, bi-curious?" Andy asked. "We will see" Jonas teased.

Kingdom premiers October 9th and stars Nick Jonas, Frank Grillo, Kiele Sanchez, Matt Lauria, Jonathan Tucker, and Joanna Going. Check out the trailer, which features plenty of abs and tight shorts, HERE.

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Someone else will have to review this one...

...I ain't got DIRECTV.

Actor Frank Grillo Brings a Lifetime of Martial Arts Experience to ‘Kingdom’
    October 8, 2014
    Mick Hammond

After years building himself up as a support player in soap operas, primetime dramas and major motion pictures, actor Frank Grillo has experienced a breakthrough of late and has become a feature star.

Most recently, Grillo has taken on the starring role in Kingdom, a series running exclusively on DirecTV’s Audience Network, centered on a family amongst the backdrop of MMA.

Shortly before Kingdom’s premier on Audience Network, Grillo spoke to MMAWeekly.com about his real life connections to the sport, how training in various disciplines has affected his life and what people can expect when they tune into the show.

MMAWeekly.com: Firstly, Frank, for readers who might not know, you actually have a background in combat sports. Can you tell us about that?

Frank Grillo: Ever since I was a young boy, I was a wrestler, and then I started boxing when I was 18. When I was done with my wrestling career, I discovered Rickson Gracie while I was living in L.A. I trained with Rickson for many years and continued to box. I travelled around a little bit and did some competitions with the Gracie team. I came back to New York and trained with the Machado brothers. I’ve been training for the better part of 35 years. I actually just got back from training boxing and did about 15 rounds today. It’s a big part of my life.

MMAWeekly.com: Has training influenced your acting career?

Frank Grillo: My life as a martial artist, as a boxer, has shaped my career. It’s who I am as a man and a father and a friend and how I carry myself. It really has been influential in the roles that I take. I think it’s also an interesting way at my age that people see me. People see me as this guy now kind of like a Liam Neeson. He’s a good friend of mine and we often laugh and say how funny it is that this stuff is happening later in life. It’s a way a man carries themselves as a fighter. There are a lot of people that manufacture that, but there are not a lot of actors that can deliver that, I don’t think.

MMAWeekly.com: With roles in projects like Kingdom, it seems like your career has had something of a renaissance of late.

Frank Grillo: I don’t even think it’s a renaissance because I never really had a great career. I was patching together jobs; chugging along and having three kids I had to do things for money and so forth. I think what’s happened is that the floodgates opened after (the movie) Warrior. Hollywood kind of discovered who I was and it’s been a whirlwind ever since. It’s been a blessing and I’m really grateful for it.

MMAWeekly.com: We spoke with Kingdom’s producer/creator/writer Byron Balasco recently and he said the first time the two of you spoke, you just clicked. Can you tell us about that?

Frank Grillo: After Warrior – which I felt was a wonderful movie and really put a stake in the ground for MMA – I wasn’t interested in doing another MMA project, but my agent told me that they were interested in me. I told them, “Thank you, but I’ve been down that road and I’m not interested.” After about four times, I said, “All right, I’ll talk to the guy.”

I read the script the night before and I was really intrigued because it was very different than Warrior. It was deeper in many ways and it told the story of how I know the world of MMA to be and the struggle to be a professional fighter. I got on the phone with (Balasco) and it was like I was talking to myself. He understood the characters from a different point of view. Not as heroes, not as the Rockys of the world, but what it meant to grind out a living. He’s one of the best writers I’ve ever worked with, and I don’t think he realizes it yet. We had a great time making these 10 episodes.

MMAWeekly.com: Tell us about your role in Kingdom and what they can expect from the show.

Frank Grillo: The character’s name is Alvey Kulina, and like myself, predated the UFC. He was a big star of his generation, but once the UFC came around and became more organized and more mainstream, he had already kind of been aged out. I’ve got these two sons who are fighters, and I have this gym and train fighters, and I’m using my past experience and fame in the sport to try to break this gym and look for that one good fighter.

This is really like the Sopranos in that the Sopranos were really more about Tony’s family than the mafia, and this is the same thing. I have a girlfriend who was engaged to a fighter who was in jail and comes out and I start training him, so there’s this kind of weird triangle. I have one son who is a derelict, but a good fighter, and I’ve got to get him straight. Then I have another son who is a good fighter, but is very introverted.

Greg Jackson is a good friend of mine, so I get to spend a lot of time in New Mexico with Greg and get to be around these fighters and I really appreciate what these fighters go through and what their families go through. That’s what we’ve done (with Kingdom); it’s a very authentic slice of life for this level of MMA fighter.

MMAWeekly.com: Byron Balasco told us that you and the other actors did a great job in creating believable characters that viewers can really invest in.

Frank Grillo: If they don’t (buy into these characters) then the show doesn’t work. This isn’t like “there’s a fight every week” and blah, blah, blah; this is about characters. Any good TV show or film is about people being interesting and the kind of stories you tell.

Joe “Daddy” Stevenson was a technical advisor on the show, and he not only had an incredible career, but he had a real kind of tragic personal life and troubled personal life until recently. I’m more interested in hearing how he’s survived his personal life than him telling me about fighting. That’s what the show is really about.

MMAWeekly.com: Thanks for taking time out for us, Frank. Is there anything you’d like to say to our readers in conclusion?

Frank Grillo: The thing I’d like to say as an MMA fan and practitioner is that (Kingdom) really depicts the world and life in a really truly authentic way. The language is authentic, it gets abrasive at times, and it’s a slow burn. It’s not like there’s an explosion in the pilot and you follow the explosion; you’ve got to get to know these people. I say to people, give it a shot, watch it unfold and breathe a little bit like a fine wine.

MMAWeekly.com: A fine wine made by a bunch of sweaty guys in a gym beating the crap out of each other.

Frank Grillo: Yeah, exactly. [Laughs]
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Kingdom interview and vid

Emmy Breakouts ‘Kingdom’ Make ‘Unreasonable Commitment’ to Martial Arts Series: Watch Their #selfieinterview (Video)
    TV | By Steve Pond on June 23, 2015 @ 9:50 am Follow @stevepond

Frank Grillo, Matt Lauria and Jonathan Tucker of the DirecTV series say their work is “physical, and also deeply spiritual”

A version of this story first appeared in TheWrap Magazine’s Emmy Comedy-Drama Issue.

There’s a long history of movies about boxing, but how about a TV show about mixed martial arts? The DirecTV series “Kingdom” puts a twist on the cinematic pugilism we’re used to seeing, focusing on the denizens of a MMA gym in Venice, Calif. – but it doesn’t spare on the brutally realistic ring action. (Or, in many cases, cage action.)

Frank Grillo stars as the owner of the gym, with Jonathan Tucker and Nick Jonas playing his sons and Matt Lauria playing an ex-con trying to get back in the game. The night after a late shoot, Grillo, Tucker and Lauria showed up at TheWrap offices to talk about their literally hard-hitting drama.

TheWrap: How much of a toll does the show take on you physically?

Matt Lauria: I think generally we leave the set with the gas tank pretty empty. It’s a show that requires a level of investment and commitment. It’s sort of like an all-in thing.

Jonathan Tucker: Last season we said, “All in, all the time.”

Lauria: That was our mantra.

Tucker: This year Matt coined us a new one, which is…

Lauria: “Unreasonable commitment.”

See photos: The Evolution of Nick Jonas: From Purity Ring to Boxing Ring (Photos)

Frank Grillo: And by the way, it’s not just the guys that do this. We have an extensive number of background players, some ex professional fighters, amateur fighters, and these guys go full out all day long too. By the end of the day they are drenched and exhausted…

Tucker: It is physical, and it’s also deeply spiritual.

Why go to those lengths?

Grillo: It’s a matter of being as authentic as we can possibly be. We didn’t want to be a TV show about fighting, we wanted to really show people these men and woman, what their lives and struggles are on a daily basis.

Lauria: You shoot for 12, 14 hours, and then you go home, try and scrape up a dinner and hit the gym. You’re dead lifting until 11 o’clock and go home and have your smoothies and then you get up in the morning.

When the season is over, do you let yourself go, trade in the broccoli smoothies for donuts?

Grillo: Nope.

Lauria: I did this year, but I won’t next year.

Grillo: It’s one of the by-products of doing a show like this – if you want to, you get in amazing shape, and you tend to look better and feel better.

What is it about the fighting genre that makes it so great for drama?

Grillo: Great drama is born from conflict. And the world of combat sports is just filled with conflict. Personal conflict, professional conflict. There are so many stories to be told on so many different levels.

There’s usually poor economic conditions, you’re really fighting for very little money, and usually there’s something amiss with fighters. To be able to do this, there’s something wrong somewhere.

Tucker: And combat sports touch on the primal nature of being human. What it means to fight, to watch fighters, to make the sacrifices that people have been making since the dawn of time.
    I've lost track of this one. I don't have DirecTV.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Season 2

Anyone watch this? I don't have DirecTV.

Kingdom season 2 gets a premiere date to return in October
    By Katy Finbow
    Sunday, Aug 9 2015, 4:57pm EDT

Season two of DirecTV's Kingdom will air on screens later this year.

The mixed martial arts-themed series will return for a second outing on the DirecTV Audience Network on October 14, it was announced at the TCA press tour.

© Endemol

Kingdom cast members including Nick Jonas, Frank Grillo, Jonathan Tucker, Matt Lauria and Kiele Sanchez will all return for the new episodes.

The show is a family drama set within the world of mixed martial arts in Venice, California.

Earlier this year, Jonas told Digital Spy that he is excited for people to see where his character Nate Kulina is heading after he was revealed as gay during the season one finale.

The TCA @OfficialTCA

The new season of DirecTV’s “Kingdom” premieres on October 14 on Audience Network. #Kingdom #TCA15
    11:02 AM - 9 Aug 2015

20 20 Retweets
    He said: "I do know where it's going but I can't say because it's going to be a big reveal and surprise.

"It's great writing, really honest and personal, and I'm just excited for people to see it and be able to tell the story in the way we're telling it."

Kingdom will return for season two in October. Watch a trailer for season one below:
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips