Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Bodyguard

The Old Soldier

This one is a little confusing because Chan is starring with Brody in another upcoming flick, Dragon Blade.

Stephen Baldwin, Adrian Brody, Michael Madsen and Jackie Chan Head to Russia's Vladivostok
    7:02 AM PST 09/10/2014 by Vladimir Kozlov

Joel Ryan/Invision/AP
    Adrien Brody
    For a film festival and to shoot a new movie

Stephen Baldwin, Adrian Brody, Michael Madsen and Jackie Chan are scheduled to arrive in the city of Vladivostok, located in Russia's Far East, later this month.

Brody and Baldwin will do Q&A sessions at the Pacific Meridians international film festival, which is scheduled to run from Sept. 13-19. Madsen, meanwhile, will be a member of the international jury. Attracting Hollywood stars is vital for Pacific Meridians, one of the few film festivals in Russia's eastern part, as it seeks to raise its international profile.

Chan is headed to the Pacific port city to make his new movie, The Old Soldier, which is to be directed by Sammo Hung Kam-Bo, said the regional authorities, which are eager to attract foreign shoots to the region. The project will be the first major foreign shoot in Russia's Far East in years.

The movie is centered on the story of a thief who steals expensive jewelry in Vladivostok, after which Russian and U.S. law enforcement officials are after him. The movie is set to film in late September and October, and, apart from Chan, Andy Lowe and Hua Liu will star in the picture.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

The Bodyguard

How many films are titled Bodyguard? IMDB lists 5 already (although one is a sequel and another is 'My Bodyguard')

Lava Bear boards The Bodyguard

22 September, 2014 | By Jeremy Kay

David Linde’s company will co-produce the upcoming Andy Lau action thriller alongside Edko Films, Irresistible Films and Focus Films.

Sammo Hung directs and stars alongside Lau, who produces with Bill Kong, Chan Pui-wah and Ivy Ho.

The Bodyguard is currently shooting in Northern China and locations include Suifenhe Shi and Mudangjiang Shi in Heilongjiang Province as well as Vladivostok. Tnhe producers have earmarked a summer 2015 release.

Hung plays a retired bodyguard suffering from the onset of dementia who is called back into action when a young girl’s life is threatened.

Lava Bear’s David Linde (pictured) and Tory Metzger will serve as executive producers. Vice-president of production Jennifer Semler will also work on the project.

Lava Bear was most recently involved as executive producers on Zhang Yimou’s Coming Home – which premiered in Cannes and will open this winter through SPC – and The Flowers Of War.

“It’s intrinsic to Lava Bear that we grow where film is growing, and to do so with talented filmmakers,” said Linde. “To be working with Bill again, not to mention such iconic artists as Sammo Hung and Andy Lau, is simply thrilling.”

Kong added: “It is great to be working together with David and Andy again. The last time three of us were together was House Of The Flying Daggers, and I look forward to coming up with something even more special.”

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Hold the phone....

I think this might be The Old Soldier, just a working title. I'll merge later...

Sammo Hung returns to directing
    From Cinema Online Exclusively for Yahoo NewsroomBy Heidi Hsia | From Cinema Online Exclusively for Yahoo Newsroom – 9 hours ago

Sammo Hung returns to directing

23 Sep – Three years after his last directorial effort, action star Sammo Hung finally returns to the director's seat through his upcoming movie, "Old Guard".

According to Mingpao News, Sammo revealed that the movie, which had just recently wrapped up filming in Vladivostok, Russia, is an action-packed flick that also stars himself in the lead.

Asked if it was difficult to both direct and star in a movie, the actor replied, "It's not hard. It's extremely hard! I have succumbed to illness due to the difficult production, though I am now 99 percent recovered."

Sammo revealed that this time around, he has called in many favours from his friends, including Andy Lau, Karl Maka, Dean Shek, Yuen Wah, and Tsui Hark, with most of them willingly volunteering to take part.

However, Sammo said that good friend Jackie Chan was unable to make it due to his hectic schedule.

When asked if he has discussed Jaycee Chan's drug arrest with the action star, Sammo said that he has not done so, though admitted that the news shocked him.

"Everybody knows about the current situation. If I call, I wouldn't know what to say and he wouldn't know what to answer. Let him calm down for a bit, then we can have a chat," said Sammo.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

What was the original name of the Sonny Chiba film that was retitled The Bodyguard? I've only seen the goofy as hell English dub.

Quote Originally Posted by BigChris View Post
    What was the original name of the Sonny Chiba film that was retitled The Bodyguard? I've only seen the goofy as hell English dub.
    That was Karate Kiba.

I think this is the Old Soldier

Still not going to merge it quite yet though.

Lava Bear to Produce Chinese Action Thriller 'The Bodyguard' Starring Andy Lau
    7:56 AM PST 09/22/2014 by Tatiana Siegel

Andy Lau
    Currently in production in Northern China, the Sammo Hung-directed movie will be released in 2015

Continuing its push into Chinese production, Lava Bear Films has come on board to produce Sammo Hung's upcoming action thriller The Bodyguard. Lava Bear will co-produce with Edko Films, Irresistible Films and Focus Films.

The film, starring Hung and Chinese superstar Andy Lau follows a retired bodyguard (Hung) who has settled in the dark and unknown corner of the world where China, Russia and North Korea meet. Suffering from the beginnings of dementia, the bodyguard is befriended by a young girl whose life is threatened when her father (Lau) falls in with the local crime world. When the girl and her father disappear, the bodyguard must call upon his long forgotten skills to save the life of his young friend.

Currently in production in Northern China, the movie will be released in summer 2015.

Lava Bear's David Linde and Tory Metzger will serve as executive producers. Lava Bear most recently was involved as producers on Zhang Yimou's Coming Home, which premiered at the 2014 Cannes Film Festival and will be released by Sony Pictures Classics, as well as Yimou's Flowers of War, which earned more than $90 million in China and was the country's nominee for the foreign-language Academy Award.

Linde's work with Chinese filmmakers, including partnerships with Kong, spans nearly two decades, beginning with Chen Kaige's Palme d'Or winning Farewell My Concubine and continuing with Ang Lee's Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Jet Li's Fearless and Yimou's global hit Hero, among many others. Metzger also is no stranger to Chinese filmmakers. The former CAA agent Metzger once repped Lee.

The Bodyguard is being produced by Bill Kong (Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Hero), Lau (Firestorm, A Simple Life), Chan Pui-wah (Firestorm, A Simple Life) and Ivy Ho (Cold War, Rise of the Legend).

“It's intrinsic to Lava Bear that we grow where film is growing and to do so with talented filmmakers," Linde said. "To be working with Bill again, not to mention such iconic artists as Sammo Hung and Andy Lau, is simply thrilling."

Added Kong, "It is great to be working together with David and Andy again. The last time the three of us were together was House of the Flying Daggers, and I look forward to coming up with something even more special."

Lava Bear's Jennifer Semler will shepherd The Bodyguard for the production company.

Email: Tatiana.Siegel@THR.com
    Twitter: @TatianaSiegel27
    We do have a Chiba thread - Sonny-Chiba-Lives!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

first pic

Sammo Hung Lays Waste In First Shot From THE BODYGUARD
    Todd Brown, Founder and Editor

Make no mistake about it: Sammo Hung can still kick your ass. That seems to be the general message delivered by the first image from The Bodyguard, an upcoming big budget feature in which Hung serves as both director and action director while also starring alongside Andy Lau. And how welcome is a return by Andy Lau to this sort of high end production after a few years of generally bland output?

A retired bodyguard (Sammo Hung) settles down in a small town on the Russia-China border. He befriends a young girl whose life is threatened when her father (Andy Lau) falls in with the local crime world. When the girl and her father disappear, the bodyguard sets out on a ruthless trail to take down the mob and rescue the girl.

Still loyal to Sammo. I'd love to put him on our cover some day.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Teaser

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Opens April fools...in China

Sammo Hung, Andy Lau reunite in action flick
    By Xu Fan ( chinadaily.com.cn )
    Updated: 2016-01-22 16:10:16

Actor Andy Lau. [Photo provided to China Daily]

The Bodyguard, a Chinese film starring Hong Kong-based martial arts hero Sammo Hung and popular actor Andy Lau, is expected to be released on the mainland on April 1.
    The film narrates the story of a retired special force officer's return to action in the streets as he looks to rescue a kidnapped young girl from his neighborhood.

"It is an unlikely action thriller," 67-year-old Hung, who is also the film's action director, told reporters in Beijing recently.

The Bodyguard also brings Hung and Lau together in a film since the action epic Three Kingdoms: Resurrection of the Dragon eight years ago.

Lau, 55, also a producer of the new film, said the emotional element of The Bodyguard would distinguish it from traditional, "cold-blooded" thrillers, featuring criminal gangs.

Andy Lau (third from left) and Sammo Hung (third from right). [Photo provided to China Daily]

The new action flick bears a resemblance with Luc Besson's 1994 hit Leon: The Professional.

As the Chinese film's story is set in a small town along the country's border with Russia, most of the scenes were shot in Northeast China's Heilongjiang province and the coastal Russian city of Vladivostok.

Edko, a Hong Kong-based studio that produced the country's biggest box-office success, Monster Hunt, is the new film's main producer.

Looking forward to seeing Sammo in action again.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Opens April 1, 2016

Note that there is now another film coming out this year titled The Bodyguard.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post

Note that there is now another film coming out this year titled The Bodyguard.
    This looks like it could be a good one. I'm also excited to see those other "little fortunes." I am a bit surprised at how old Dean Shek (Shek Tin) looks.

THE BODYGUARD《我的特工爷爷》Trailer #2

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I'm eager for this one

It looks very promising.

Sammo Hung kicks butt in The Bodyguard
    MARCH 29, 2016
    BY SETO KIT YAN

At 64, legendary Hong Kong action star Sammo Hung is still a force to be reckoned with in the action genre. Effortlessly agile, swift and flexible despite an expansive girth and a huge frame, Hung continues to command loads of respect as a classy martial arts icon of Chinese action cinema.

Since he made his film debut in 1961, Hung has churned out more than 230 movies, from the hardcore martial arts films of the 1970s and the action comedies of the 1980s, to the kung fu epics of the 1990s and modern action cinema of the new millennium.

This year, Hung is also back in the director’s chair for the first time in 19 years since his 1997 releases – Jackie Chan’s Mr Nice Guy and Jet Li’s Once Upon A Time In China And America.

Hung’s latest action flick is The Bodyguard, in which he plays a retired bodyguard who has settled in a remote corner of the world at the border where China, Russia and North Korea meet.

He meets a young girl (Chen Pei Yan) whose life is threatened when her gambling-addict father (played by Andy Lau) gets into trouble with the local crime underworld. Things take a turn for the worse, when the girl and her father disappear, forcing the bodyguard to call on his skills to find and protect them.

Apart from being the star, Hung also slips back easily into the roles of the film director and action choreographer in The Bodyguard. As a veteran filmmaker whose grandfather (Hung Chung Ho) was a film director and grandmother (Chin Tsi Ang) was Chinese martial arts cinema’s first female action star, Hung says he does not find it too difficult to balance his workload.

“I started taking on multiple roles when I was 27, ranging from a mix of scriptwriting, directing, acting, and I have been doing them for the past 20 to 30 years. I took a 10-year break in between, and now I’m just picking up where I left off. I find that taking on multiple roles isn’t that difficult. Even more so while shooting a good film!” responded Hung, whose is best known for his award-winning action choreography in recent martial arts movies like Ip Man (2008) and Ip Man 2 (2010).

In a recent email interview, Hung describes the character he plays as “someone who was part of the special forces when he was younger”.

“Due to an unexpected turn of events, he was relocated to the outskirts upon retirement. Circumstances cause him to once again put his special forces skills into good use, while he struggles with everyday life as he begins to suffer from Alzheimer’s.

‘Hey, stop trying ot hit me. Here, hit HIM instead.’ Sammo Hung stars in The Bodyguard. Photo: RAM Entertainment

“Though my character used to be part of the special forces, I didn’t focus on the experience of being a soldier. I instead chose to focus on his life after leaving the military – from how he would act, to how he would think and how he would try to cope with Alzheimer’s. We might not be talking about his military days, but we want to understand how the man copes with his circumstances, and the path he chooses to follow instead,” said the veteran actor.

Hung is also the action director for 2016 releases such as Aaron Kwok’s The Monkey King 2 and Benny Chan’s The Deadly Reclaim.

Another reason that is making movie fans excited are the star-studded supporting roles by multiple generations of top names and distinguished heavyweights in Chinese cinema. Among those making special appearances are Hong Kong’s Andy Lau (who replaced Jackie Chan, who pulled out due to his son Jaycee Chan’s drug scandal), Tsui Hark, Karl Maka, Dean Shek, Taiwan’s Eddie Peng and Jack Kao, China’s Hu Jun, Feng Shaofeng and Song Jia, as well as Hung’s childhood friends from the 7 Little Fortunes such as Yuen Biao, Yuen Wah, Yuen Qiu, Yuen Ting, and Yuen Po.

How did his friends react when he invited them to be part of the film? “I don’t actually know what they say about me behind my back! I think they have a degree of confidence in my film. They probably didn’t expect that I would invite them to be part of the film, and I’m very thankful to have such great friends that they showed up without hesitation. Shooting a film surrounded by good friends is a joy, and doesn’t come by often enough,” said Hung.

The Bodyguard opens April 1.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

If this movie is even half of what Sammo's work was in his heyday, it should still be a very good watch. With him at the director's helm, choreographing AND starring, I can't wait.

April fools

This bested b v s but it's getting some lackluster reviews in the trades. Who can muster the first forum review here?

China Box Office: Sammo Hung’s ‘Bodyguard’ Beats Up ‘Batman v Superman’
    Patrick Frater Asia Bureau Chief

China Box Office: 'Bodyguard' Beats UpCOURTESY OF EDKO FILMS
    APRIL 3, 2016 | 08:19PM PT

Two new Chinese movie releases and a still strong “Zootopia” this weekend dashed expectations that “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice” would be a breakout hit in China this year.

“Batman v Superman” occupied fourth spot of the Chinese box office on each of Friday, Saturday and Sunday, but ranked third over the three-day period, earning $12.6 million (RMB81.8 million,) narrowly ahead of “Zootopia” which earned $12.5 million (RMB81.4 million.)

That represented a 78% drop from the superheroes’ first weekend. After 10 days “Batman v Superman” stands on a cumulative of $86.2 million (RMB560 million.)

Action drama “My Beloved Bodyguard” (aka “The Bodyguard”) debuted on top and scored $25.2 million (RMB164 million.) Directed by veteran martial arts star Sammo Hung, and starring Hung and Andy Lau, the Hong Kong-Chinese co-produced film claimed top spot on each day.

In second spot on each of the three days was dark comedy “Chongqing Hotpot.” It earned $21.8 million (RMB138 million) over three days.

Local youth drama “Who Sleeps My Bro” opened in third place on Friday, but failed to expand over the two following days. It earned $10.4 million (RMB67.5 million) for fifth place.

“Zootopia” had a quiet Friday, but enjoyed a large bounce as it brought in family audiences over the weekend proper. On Saturday and Sunday it placed third ahead of “Batman v Superman.” After 17 days “Zootopia” has extended the record for an animation film on Chinese screens with a cumulative of $219 million (RMB1.43 billion.)

The weekend is a minor holiday known as Tomb Sweeping Holiday (aka ‘Qingming’) and Monday is observed by many people. But it is traditionally a time for family activities – such as visiting and tending the graves of ancestors – and box office typically does not receive much of a boost.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips