Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
One day I asked my teacher, "What's lighting speed?" He said, "When you feel that your eyes balls are going to fly out of your eye sockets."

Why do we need to train MA? We will need to solve problems. What kind of problems do we need to solve? 90% of the time, it's just a fast speed full power punch toward our head. If that's the case, why don't we try to deal with fast powerful head punches 100 times daily? Is that the best way to train?

If we train

- slow then everything will look fast.
- fast then everything will not look that fast any more.

People may say that it's impossible to catch a fast jab. But if we try to catch fast jab 100 times daily, we will find that our successful ration of catching a fast jab will get better and better everyday. Soon that fast jab will no longer look too fast. Our bodies will finally get used to that "lighting speed". When we have achieved that, everything will look slow after that.
Dude,

You are stuck in your POV and it is obvious nothing will change that.
To be unable or unwilling to look at another viewpoint is like a horse with Blinders on.
As I said before, we will have to agree to disagree.

Perhaps, if you trained in Wing Chun you may have a better perspective.
Then again, perhaps you do know more than Yip Man did, after all, you seem to think there is little to no value in moving slowly. Yet Yip Man did seem to see value in moving slowly. Then again, what did he know compared to someone who does not even train Wing Chun?

Oh, as to being unable to do a throw slowly, it would depend on the throw.
When I did Judo we regularly trained throws at varied speeds. Take a Hip throw for example, you can move in slowly and then balance the opponent right at the instant of the actual throw. You can even, in some cases of throws, complete the throw at less than full speed and do so safely. This is part of the reason for the grips taught, your grip and release can allow you to perform the throw and even "guide" the person thrown or "uke". In many instances the person performing the throw is responsible for guiding the person being thrown. Another reason for learning to be able to direct the person being thrown so that they cannot fall safely, or at least not as easily, in actual application for combat.