Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wing Chun Esoterica

Wing Chun Esoterica

I would like to use this thread as a platform to bring up odd, unusual and interesting topics concerning people's more esoteric views and thoughts on Wing Chun outside of mainstream thought.

Angry

Here is something I find myself pondering.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1RlwzKAcnI

This is the Siu Lim Tau Sei Mun form of the Chan Wah Shun/Chan Yiu Min line. Of particular interest is the Sei Mun part which starts at 107.

I find that it bears quite a resemblance in concept as well as choreography to this well known Okinawan Kata.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fO9HJdf5z4

Even phonetically their names sound similar, is this coincidence or could they at one time have come from the same now lost well spring?

Your thoughts.

p.s. Whats up with the little angry emoji, is that a moderator thing?

Quote Originally Posted by dlcox View Post
    Here is something I find myself pondering.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1RlwzKAcnI

This is the Siu Lim Tau Sei Mun form of the Chan Wah Shun/Chan Yiu Min line. Of particular interest is the Sei Mun part which starts at 107.

I find that it bears quite a resemblance in concept as well as choreography to this well known Okinawan Kata.

Even phonetically their names sound similar, is this coincidence or could they at one time have come from the same now lost well spring?

Your thoughts.

p.s. Whats up with the little angry emoji, is that a moderator thing?
    I studied Isshinryu and Go Ju Ryu, both of which have versions of that kata, (Isshinryu's being derived of Go Ju Ryu's.)
    It is commonly taught that the kata came from China. Really, the majority of classical Okinawan kata is probably from China and were "Okinawanized," there are certainly plenty of sensei that say so.

As to the emoticon, you probably accidentally clicked one in the "post icons" table that appears under the text body when you post. That puts them at the heading of your post...I've accidentally done that before and I don't think you can edit that part later.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

good post

[QUOTE=dlcox;1277054]Here is something I find myself pondering.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1RlwzKAcnI

Your thoughts.
    good post dave interesting!
    sincerly, eddie

Did not see much similarity in the Chan Wah SLT set and the Okinawan set other than an established rhythm in the performance of both sets.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmStriker View Post
    Did not see much similarity in the Chan Wah SLT set and the Okinawan set other than an established rhythm in the performance of both sets.
    Camera angle plays a part IMO, making it a bit more difficult to clearly see some movements. I think that they have enough in common to be distant cousins. Another factor that comes into play is the structure and choreography. All that aside the oral legends of both systems claim a similar origin, if this is true will never be known but still interesting to ponder.

i dont know anything about wing chun erotica, but maybe if you do chi sao with a gay person they get turned on.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    i dont know anything about wing chun erotica, but maybe if you do chi sao with a gay person they get turned on.
    There's a good chance you'll end up with "sticky hands" by doing that.

Blog Entries
    There's a good chance you'll end up with "sticky hands" by doing that.
    I think the

- WC sticky hands,
    - Taiji push hands, and
    - Shuai-Chiao grip fight,

should all be integrated together.

- A punch to the face is a strike,
    - A push on the neck is a throw,

How to make that happen require pretty much the same training.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

I think the

- WC sticky hands,
    - Taiji push hands, and

Totally agree. When you add grips and strikes and ankle picks and things like that in, I find the body of techniques in form make a heck of a lot more sense.

I think the

- WC sticky hands,
    - Taiji push hands, and

- A punch to the face is a strike,
    - A push on the neck is a throw,

How to make that happen require pretty much the same training.
    Personally I have found that by integrating Sticking Hands, Pushing Hands & Pummeling Hands that I have more options and variety.

Yim Hung Challenges Ip Man

An interesting view of gender and it's impact on TCMA, as well as an unusual story concerning Yip Man.

Enjoy

http://chinesemartialstudies.com/201...rtial-culture/

Family Feud

Interesting article concerning the little known brother of William Cheung.

http://davidcheungwingchun.com/about-gm-david-cheung/

What was the feud about? What secrets does William's brother hold?
    Last edited by dlcox; 10-01-2014 at 01:01 AM.

Interesting article concerning the little known brother of William Cheung.

http://davidcheungwingchun.com/about-gm-david-cheung/

What was the feud about? What secrets does William's brother hold?
    I have heard a lot of interesting stories from David .About secrets , there are some but I cannot tell anything publicly. What I can tell first dispute with William was about money in 1984 when David came to Serbia instead of William who was afraid for his life after receiving several death threats . Anyway , David is really knowledgeable and not only that he can really fight , he has real skill . He also have great sense of humor , one time we enter a chinese store in one town in Serbia , a big Chinese guy with a scar on his face who was obviously the owner started to talk with David and after couple of words, guy was obviously scared , he started to retreat step by step and to yell on Chinese . I asked David what happened and he said that guy asked him if he is a police officer sent by Chinese embassy . I asked what is the problem , why all that yelling and David said he told the guy he is an inspector sent by the embassy , I automatically pictured my self in a scene similar to Jackie Chan's moves, chased by 15 Chinese guys with butcher knives . I told that to David and he laugh and said just use what i taught you. He is a good guy, excellent kung fu teacher but little strange or better word is unusual person

Quote Originally Posted by zuti car View Post
    I have heard a lot of interesting stories from David .About secrets , there are some but I cannot tell anything publicly. What I can tell first dispute with William was about money in 1984 when David came to Serbia instead of William who was afraid for his life after receiving several death threats . Anyway , David is really knowledgeable and not only that he can really fight , he has real skill . He also have great sense of humor , one time we enter a chinese store in one town in Serbia , a big Chinese guy with a scar on his face who was obviously the owner started to talk with David and after couple of words, guy was obviously scared , he started to retreat step by step and to yell on Chinese . I asked David what happened and he said that guy asked him if he is a police officer sent by Chinese embassy . I asked what is the problem , why all that yelling and David said he told the guy he is an inspector sent by the embassy , I automatically pictured my self in a scene similar to Jackie Chan's moves, chased by 15 Chinese guys with butcher knives . I told that to David and he laugh and said just use what i taught you. He is a good guy, excellent kung fu teacher but little strange or better word is unusual person
    so he lied to illegal immigrant about being from gvt to scare him for fun. sounds like a poosy to me.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC