Thread: Lionheart remake

Lionheart remake

srsly?

We have threads for the remakes of Kickboxer and Bloodsport. No threads whatsoever on TimeCop at this writing.

A remake of Van Damme’s Lionheart might be in the works
    By Editorial Staff on September 28, 2014

With a new incarnation of “Kickboxer” headed before the cameras, and both “Bloodsport” and “TimeCop” getting the redo treatment sometime soon too, it’d seem the back catalog of Jean-Claude Van Damme is now a free-for-all in regards to Hollywood remakers.

Albert Pyun, director of Van Damme’s “Cyborg”, says he’s been approached to direct a remake of “Lionheart” (aka “Wrong Bet”) – but unlike the other JC remakes that are in the works, this one would again feature the Muscles from Brussels.

“I’ve been approached about directing a remake of Van Damme’s “Lionheart” with Van Damme by the rights holding distributor”, the filmmaker posted on Facebook. “Not sure if I will do this as it doesn’t seem to be a film needing a remake. I guess I’d changed the Los angeles setting to Hong Kong, but I am not sure it fits in with what I do. But I told the rights holder I will consider it depending on how excited JCVD is about it. And if I can make it with my vision of it.”

The distributor doesn’t own the sequel rights, only the remake rights.

“I’m not sure a remake is in order except it would be nice to see JCVD flex those martial art muscles again, especially against MMA fighters!”, Pyun adds. “If I don’t feel I can bring something new and better to it, I’ll pass.”

Pyun is also developing a film based on ‘Napoleon’, which he wants Van Damme to star in. That film would shoot next April, if it gets the go-ahead.

“The Napoleon shoot has to be set for next April due to weather in Croatia or Bulgaria. I think the distrib wants this remake or, in my case, re-imagining, to shoot this year.”

Pyun says that if he decides to do the “Lionheart” redo, he hopes to get Sheldon Lettich, who wrote and directed the original “Lionheart”, back to write the remake. He’d also like Sasha Mitchell, who played Van Damme’s brother in “Kickboxer II : The Road Back”, to co-star in the film.

What do you think, folks? Is a “Lionheart” remake a good idea?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I guess in a world of remakes, they're gonna do what they're gonna do.

I won't be watching it, though. The original Lionheart wasn't even good, IMO. Even though it's difficult to think of new ideas in MA/action films, you'd think they could try a bit harder than falling back on remakes or, as he says, 're-imaginings'.

I thought Keanu Reeves "Taiji Guy" was the re-make of LionHeart? ("I just needed to see if you had it in you" " I was willing to sacrifice my whole criminal empire just to see if you had it in you").
    Last edited by PalmStriker; 09-29-2014 at 07:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmStriker View Post
    I thought Keanu Reeves "Taiji Guy" was the re-make of LionHeart? ("I just needed to see if you had it in you" " I was willing to sacrifice my whole criminal empire just to see if you had it in you").
    Surprisingly, I enjoyed Man of Tai Chi. It was entertaining enough, and the high point for me was Keanu's bizarre, robotic "kung fu movie villain laugh". When he did it, I wasn't sure if he was spoofing/paying homage to KF movie villains or himself. Or if he was trying to be menacing and failed badly. But it's fun and better than expected, IMO.

I liked Man of Tai Chi way more than most of Van Damme's movies. The only two Van Damme movies I really like are No Retreat, No Surrender and JCVD, and I like each for wildly different reasons.