Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rush Hour TV series

Rush Hour TV series

‘Rush Hour’ To Be Remade As Action Series From Bill Lawrence & Brett Ratner
    by Nellie Andreeva • tip
    September 30, 2014 2:00pm

A big series project is about to hit the markeplace — a Rush Hour hourlong action comedy based on the blockbuster movie franchise. I’ve learned that Warner Bros. TV has closed deals for the project, which will be co-written/executive produced by one of studio’s top showrunners, Bill Lawrence. The movie franchise’s director Brett Ratner and producer Arthur Sarkissian will serve as executive producers.

Written by Cougar Town co-creator Lawrence and the series’ executive producer/showrunner Blake McCormick, Rush Hour is expected to stay close to the premiere of the original movie, "Rush Hour 3" Los Angeles Premiere - Arrivalswith a stoic, by-the-book Hong Kong police officer, played in the features by Jackie Chan, assigned to a case in Los Angeles, where he’s forced to work with a ****y black LAPD officer, originally played by Chris Tucker, who has no interest in a partner. WBTV declined comment.

Produced by Warner Bros. subsidiary New Line Cinema, Rush Hour was a sleeper hit when it came out in 1998, launching a successful three-movie franchise that has grossed more than $500 million domestically and more than $845 million worldwide. (Below is the trailer foe the original movie). There had been a lot of talk about doing another sequel, with Chan indicating as recently as last month that Warner Bros. was still interested in doing a fourth Rush Hour film, but there is nothing actively in the works.

Rush Hour, from WBTV and Lawrence’s studio-based Doozer, marks a second big project for Doozer this season. A comedy from Tommy Johnagin, Justin Halpern and Patrick Schumacker recently landed a pilot production commitment from CBS. The ICM Partners-repped company also has series Undateable on NBC as well as Cougar Town and Ground Floor on TBS.

Before joining Cougar Town, McCormick, repped by UTA and Kaplan Perrone, worked on Fox’s King Of The Hill. Last season, Lawrence and McCormick teamed for another hourlong action buddy comedy, Chasing Skips, which had a put pilot commitment at Fox.

Rush Hour joins another big movie title, Minority Report, which was sold as a series to Fox with a put pilot commitment. Ratner has strong ties with Warner Bros. on the feature side. He and his RatPac Entertainment partner James Packer have a first-look deal at the studio. And the duo, along with Steven Mnuchin, have a $450 million deal to co-finance the entire slate of Warner Bros films.
    Rush Hour 1
    Rush Hour 2
    Rush Hour 3
    Rush Hour 4
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

An update

With all of the new martial-arts oriented TV shows, I keep forgetting about this one.

Bill Lawrence Talks RUSH HOUR Series, Martial Arts, Character Names
    Fred Topel
    January 16, 2015
    Exclusive, Featured, Interviews, News

TV producer Bill Lawrence was at the Television Critics Association press tour today for his NBC comedy Undateable. After the panel, in which his cast riffed on my flashy red shirt, I asked Lawrence about the Rush Hour TV series he’s developing. He confirmed that it will have martial arts and it will still be the characters Det. Lee and Carter, whom Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker played in the movie.

“New plot, same characters, a little younger, a little different, fish out of water,” Lawrence said. “It’s a cool script. I’m psyched about it.”

There’s got to be a relatively small pool of martial artists who would do television. The script is not picked up to pilot yet, but if it is, Lawrence said he would cast an actor and teach him martial arts.

Rush Hour Chris Tucker and Jackie Chan 1998 New Line Cinema

“The character will be a martial artist but you know how TV works,” Lawrence said. “I’m going to go with the best actor and then I’ll make anything work.”

Lawrence’s forte in TV has been comedy like Scrubs, Cougar Town, Ground Floor and Undateable. He gets the tone of a buddy cop movie though.

“My favorite genre is action-comedy. Midnight Run, favorite movie, Beverly Hills Cop, any of those old movies that had stakes but were still funny. I don’t think anybody’s done one in a while. I’m dying to. It might not work but the closest I cam was I was supposed to write and direct the new version of Fletch at some point but I bailed on it in the middle of it. The movie business is complicated.”

When Rush Hour came out in 1998, Jackie Chan’s old Peking Opera School buddy Sammo Hung had a TV show on the air. Martial Law eventually mimicked Rush Hour by pairing Hung with Arsenio Hall. I’m still waiting for Martial Law to come out on DVD, but Rush Hour will be a comedy first.

“I thought it was a great show,” Lawrence said of Martial Law. “I don’t think it had the same kind of comedy elements that we have but I thought it was really good.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

not picked up to pilot yet

BILL LAWRENCE TALKS RUSH HOUR SERIES, MARTIAL ARTS, CHARACTER NAMES
    Fred Topel January 16, 2015 Exclusive, Featured, Interviews, News

TV producer Bill Lawrence was at the Television Critics Association press tour today for his NBC comedy Undateable. After the panel, in which his cast riffed on my flashy red shirt, I asked Lawrence about the Rush Hour TV series he’s developing. He confirmed that it will have martial arts and it will still be the characters Det. Lee and Carter, whom Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker played in the movie.

“New plot, same characters, a little younger, a little different, fish out of water,” Lawrence said. “It’s a cool script. I’m psyched about it.”

There’s got to be a relatively small pool of martial artists who would do television. The script is not picked up to pilot yet, but if it is, Lawrence said he would cast an actor and teach him martial arts.

“The character will be a martial artist but you know how TV works,” Lawrence said. “I’m going to go with the best actor and then I’ll make anything work.”

Lawrence’s forte in TV has been comedy like Scrubs, Cougar Town, Ground Floor and Undateable. He gets the tone of a buddy cop movie though.

“My favorite genre is action-comedy. Midnight Run, favorite movie, Beverly Hills Cop, any of those old movies that had stakes but were still funny. I don’t think anybody’s done one in a while. I’m dying to. It might not work but the closest I cam was I was supposed to write and direct the new version of Fletch at some point but I bailed on it in the middle of it. The movie business is complicated.”

When Rush Hour came out in 1998, Jackie Chan’s old Peking Opera School buddy Sammo Hung had a TV show on the air. Martial Law eventually mimicked Rush Hour by pairing Hung with Arsenio Hall. I’m still waiting for Martial Law to come out on DVD, but Rush Hour will be a comedy first.

“I thought it was a great show,” Lawrence said of Martial Law. “I don’t think it had the same kind of comedy elements that we have but I thought it was really good.”
    'cast an actor and teach him martial arts'? srsly?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I take that back...

CBS picked up the pilot

Rush Hour’, Greg Garcia’s ‘Super Clyde’, Bill Wrubel Pilot Ordered By CBS
    by Nellie Andreeva
    January 26, 2015 8:00pm

Rush Hour TV Show Jackie Chan

Following Minority Report‘s order by Fox, the other series remake of a blockbuster movie this season is getting a pilot green light. CBS has picked up Rush Hour, co-written and executive produced by Bill Lawrence. It was one of three pilot orders at the network, along with Greg Garcia’s single-camera comedy Super Clyde and Bill Wrubel’s multi-camera Joe Time.

Hourlong action comedy Rush Hour, which had a pilot production commitment, was written by Cougar Town co-creator Lawrence and the series’ executive producer/showrunner McCormick and executive produced by the New Line movies’ director Brett Ratner and producer Arthur Sarkissian. Staying close to the premise of the original movie, the show centers on a stoic, by-the-book Hong Kong police officer (played in the features by Jackie Chan) assigned to a case in Los Angeles, where he’s forced to work with a ****y black LAPD officer (originally played by Chris Tucker) who has no interest in a partner.

Warner Bros TV and Lawrence’s studio-based Doozer are producing, with Lawrence, McCormick, Sarkissian and Ratner exec producing alongside Doozer’s Jeff Ingold. This marks Doozer’s second pilot order at CBS this season, along with a comedy starring Tommy Johnagin.

Super Clyde, from CBS TV Studios and Garcia’s Amigos de Garcia, is a remake of the pilot Garcia originally did at CBS in the 2013 cycle. That season, the first under his overall deal at CBS TV Studios, Garcia received two pilot orders from the network, one for Super Clyde and one for The Millers. The Millers, a multi-camera multi-generational sitcom, was a safer bet, while the single-camera, high-concept Super Clyde — about a meek, unassuming fast-food worker who finds his calling — was considered more of a long shot.

CBS went ahead with The Millers, which went to a second season before being canceled this fall, making Garcia suddenly available for pilot season with little time to develop. He turned to Super Clyde, a project he has been very fond of, so much so that he got CBS and CBS TV Studios to release the busted pilot in fall 2013. “I’m really proud of this show,” he wrote to his contacts at the time. “Mike Fresco did an amazing job directing, and the cast is great: Rupert Grint, Stephen Fry, Tyler Labine and Justine Lupe.”

Bill Wrubel’s Joe Time (formerly The Good Life), from WBTV, had a pilot production commitment. Written/executive produced by former Modern Family executive producer Wrubel in his first season after leaving the Emmy-winning ABC/20th TV series for an overall deal at WBTV, centers on Joe, a family man who struggles with the fact that everyone around him is pursuing their dreams and enjoying their lives more than he is.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jon Foo takes over for Jackie

This would work if they cast Kevin Hart as Carter.

Jon Foo To Play Detective Lee In ‘Rush Hour’ CBS Pilot
    by Nellie Andreeva
    March 3, 2015 2:29pm

The 1998 Rush Hour movie helped make Hong Kong film star and martial arts wiz Jackie Chan a household name in America, jumpstarting a successful Hollywood career. Now CBS’ TV adaptation of the hit movie franchise is looking to do the same for Jon Foo, who has landed the Detective Lee role played in the movies by Chan.

Written/executive produced by Bill Lawrence and Blake McCormick and directed/exec produced by Jon Turteltaub, CBS’ Rush Hour pilot centers on Lee (Foo), a stoic, by-the-book Hong Kong police officer assigned to a case in Los Angeles, where he’s forced to work with a ****y black LAPD officer, Carter (originally played by Chris Tucker), who has no interest in a partner. A top detective with the Hong Kong police department, Detective Lee is a dedicated professional and master martial artist, a man of few words who knows how to get the job done.

The movies’ director Brett Ratner and producer Arthur Sarkissian also executive produce with Jeff Ingold for Warner Bros TV and Lawrence’s studio-based Doozer.

Like Chan, British actor Foo, who is of Chinese and Irish descent, is a trained martial artist who has done stunt work and built a resume as an international action star. In the U.S., he is probably best known for his role in the 2010 feature Tekken. Foo is repped by Schumacher Management and attorney Lev Ginsburg.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Cbs

May 08, 2015 12:45pm PT by Lesley Goldberg , Lacey Rose
    CBS Orders 'Rush Hour,' 'Limitless,' 'Criminal Minds' Spinoff, Medical Drama, 2 Comedies

Courtesy of Everett Collection

Jane Lynch starrer 'Angel From Hell' and 'Life in Pieces' will join the previously ordered 'Supergirl' as the network bets big on existing properties.

With its May 13 upfront presentation mere days away, CBS has begun doling out the remainder of its series orders.

The network, the most tight-lipped of the broadcast bunch, placed its first big bet on Warner Bros. Television's Supergirl with a midweek order. Now, it’s following that with drama orders to adaptations of Rush Hour and Limitless, its Criminal Minds spinoff, and medical entry Code Black. Those join comedies Angel From Hell and Life in Pieces has having made the cut from the nearly 20 produced this past pilot season.

The orders comes as the network is giving a Super Bowl-lifted NBC a run for its money among the coveted 18-49 demographic as the 2014-15 season comes to a close. Among total viewers, CBS — home to hits including The Big Bang Theory, new addition Thursday Night Football and the NCIS franchise — will finish the season as the most watched network for the 12th time in 13 seasons. But the year wasn’t without significant hurdles, including the net’s ongoing struggles to launch a comedy that doesn’t have Chuck Lorre’s name attached and a collection of series, including Stalker, CSI: Cyber and even beloved The Good Wife, that haven’t impressed in the ratings. More worrisome, the traditional syndication market that’s long played a key role in CBS’ billion-dollar franchise formula is waning.

Looking ahead, CBS has ordered the following:

Medical drama Code Black is set in the busiest and most notorious ER in the nation, where the staff confronts a broken system in order to protect their ideals and the patients who need them the most. The series, from Intelligence's Michael Seitzman, is based on the feature documentary produced and directed by Ryan McGarry.

From ABC Studios, the cast includes Marcia Gay Harden — who replaced lead Maggie Grace when the pilot was retooled — as well as Bonnie Somerville, Raza Jaffrey and Luis Guzman. Marti Noxon (Lifetime's Unreal, Bravo's Girlfriend's Guide to Divorce) executive produces alongside Linda Goldstein-Knowlton, McGarry and David Semel, who directed the pilot.

Code Black was one of multiple medical dramas developed this season — and nudged out CBS TV's LFE for the slot — as CBS' Nina Tassler has made the genre a high priority for the network.

The new member of the Criminal Minds franchise — now titled Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders — aired Feb. 8 as a planted spinoff of the flagship, which is awaiting a renewal. The drama focuses on a division of the FBI that helps American citizens who find themselves in danger abroad.

The drama, from Criminal Minds showrunner Erica Messer, is also exec produced by Mark Gordon and Nick Pepper. The series, co-starring Gary Sinise, Daniel Henney and Tyler James Williams, is a co-production between ABC Studios and CBS Television Studios. Missing from the cast is Anna Gunn, who had a central role in the backdoor pilot.

With the order, Criminal Minds rejoins CBS' roster of procedurals with multiple series on the air (NCIS, CSI).

Limitless, for its part, is based on the 2011 feature film of the same name and follows Brian Sinclair (Jake McDorman) as he discovers the power of the mysterious drug NZT, and is coerced into using his newfound drug-enhanced abilities to solve weekly cases for the FBI. Dexter's Jennifer Carpenter co-stars alongside Hill Harper and Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio.

Writer Craig Sweeny (Elementary) exec produces the CBS Television Studios drama alongside K/O Paper Products' Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci and Heather Kadin as well as Bradley Cooper and Todd Phillips, with Cooper rumored to cameo in the pilot. Relativity's Ryan Kavanaugh, Tucker Tooley and Tom Forman will also executive produce. The company's Andrew Marcus and Ray Ricord will co-executive produce. The pickup gives Kurtzman/Orci four shows on the broadcast schedule next season: Hawaii Five-0 and Scorpion at CBS as well as Fox's Sleepy Hollow.

Rush Hour, meanwhile, is produced by Warner Bros. Television and is based on the New Line feature film trilogy of the same name. The series revolves around a stoic, by-the-book Hong Kong police officer (Jon Foo) who is assigned to a case in Los Angeles, where he's forced to work with a ****y African-American LAPD officer (Justin Hires, 21 Jump Street) who has no interest in a partner.

Bill Lawrence and Blake McCormick (Cougar Town) penned the pilot and exec produce alongside Doozer's Jeff Ingold and the film's Brett Ratner, Arthur Sarkissian and Jon Turteltaub, who directed the pilot. Aimee Garcia and Wendie Malick co-star. (Lawrence also had a CBS comedy pilot starring Tommy Johnagin in contention, though sources tell THR that it's no longer going forward.) The pickup could give Lawrence two shows on the schedule next season should NBC renew sop****re comedy Undateable.

All four dramas are based on existing formats, giving CBS a leg-up with marketing. For their part, Rush Hour and Limitless were among the crush of remakes to be developed this season as networks bet on existing fan bases to lure new viewers in an increasingly crowed scripted landscape. CBS' pair of remakes join ABC's Uncle Buck with Fox also expected to order its Minority Report drama to series.

On the CBS comedy side, the network has picked up two half-hours — both single-camera vehicles.

Angel From Hell was one of two comedies Tad Quill (Samantha Who) had in the works at the network (the other, Taxi-22, is not yet considered dead). The comedy centers on Amy (Glee's Jane Lynch), who when she enters Allison's (Maggie Lawson) life, claims to be her guardian angel and together they form an unlikely friendship — though Allison can’t be sure if Amy is an angel or just nuts. Kyle Bornheimer and Kevin Pollak co-star in the comedy from CBS Television Studios.

Rounding out the orders is Life in Pieces, from superproducer Aaron Kaplan. The comedy, written on spec by Better Off Ted's Justin Adler and picked up straight to pilot, is a comedy about one family told through the separate stories of its different family members. The ensemble cast includes Dianne Wiest, James Brolin, Zoe Lister Jones, Colin Hanks, Angelique Cabral, Thomas Sadoski and Betsy Brandt.

The order gives Kaplan at least six shows on the air: ABC's Secrets and Lies, HBO's Divorce, ABC Family's Kevin From Work and Chasing Life, as well as Nick's Instant Mom. Meanwhile, of Kaplan's six pilots this season, he still has NBC's Strange Calls in the mix and is awaiting word on a second-season order for Mysteries of Laura.

With the pickups, CBS' total orders for next season are five dramas and two comedies. The network ordered six and two, respectively, last year.

Keep up with all the renewals, cancellations and new series orders with THR's handy Scorecard.

Email: Lesley.Goldberg@THR.com
    Twitter: @Snoodit
    I re-watched RH1 and was really struck by Jackie dropping the N-word, just prior to the pool hall fight. That sort of humor feels really dated today.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I never liked the Rush Hour movies. I've seen each of them once. The only part in any of them I really liked was the scene in RH1* where Jackie briefly spars with Don Cheadle, before they both make fun of Chris Tucker. As I remember, it was a very short scene, but I'd never seen Cheadle do any MA before or since, and it looked to me like he had training.

*or maybe it was RH2...
    Last edited by Jimbo; 05-11-2015 at 12:19 PM.

a showrunner

'Psych' Creator Set as 'Rush Hour' Showrunner for CBS

Steve Franks AP Images
    Steve Franks will oversee the freshman drama and work alongside Bill Lawrence.

Steve Franks is headed to Rush Hour.

The Psych creator has been tapped to serve as showrunner on CBS' TV adaption of the movie franchise, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Rush Hour, produced by Warner Bros. Television, is based on the New Line feature film trilogy of the same name. The series revolves around a stoic, by-the-book Hong Kong police officer (Jon Foo) who is assigned to a case in Los Angeles, where he's forced to work with a ****y African-American LAPD officer (Justin Hires, 21 Jump Street) who has no interest in a partner.

Franks will oversee the midseason drama and executive produce alongside Bill Lawrence and Blake McCormick (Cougar Town), who penned the pilot. Exec producers include Doozer's Jeff Ingold and the film's Brett Ratner, Arthur Sarkissian and Jon Turteltaub, the latter of whom who directed the pilot.

Franks most recently penned Fox's Rivers Cuomo semi-autobiographical single-camera comedy Detour, which did not move forward at the network. Rush Hour marks his follow-up since USA Network's Psych ended its 122-episode run last year after taking home the People's Choice Award for favorite cable TV comedy.

Franks' addition to Rush Hour comes as Lawrence will also be juggling the third season of NBC's Undateable, which is moving to fall for the first time with an all-live format.

Franks is repped by ICM Partners, Thruline Entertainment and Sloane Offer.
    I liked Psych. I only watched a few episodes of the early seasons however.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Sneak peek

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

New trailer

Same as the one above, more or less.

Looks like the pilot will be a redux of Rush Hour 1, which I just saw again last week because it was available as an in-flight movie. I bet Lee doesn't drop the N-word like he did in at the beginning of the pool hall fight in the original film.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

drawing the race card

Should I retract my "n-word' comment above? I think not.

Rush Hour team defends 'stereotypical' characters in tense exchange

Evelina Iaccino | 13 Gennaio 2016, 08:59

With African-American and Chinese stars, CBS's upcoming action-comedy "Rush Hour" boasts the network's most diverse cast to date, but on Tuesday at the Television Critics Association press tour in Pasadena, Calif., the show's cast and producers were hounded by a reporter who questioned the series' portrayal of diverse characters. The first movie played completely Jackie Chan's character just being a fish out of water and what we wanted to do is make sure that Justin's character also didn't culturally understand not only the type of person that Lee was but his attitude towards law enforcement and his seriousness and his code. Watching the pilot, I see you haven't done much to change those archetypes. But never fear - fan favourite director Brett Ratner is on board to executive produce.

On National Public Radio, you'll likely hear, if you have not already, critical discussion of CBS's decision to do this series based on a movie series that "took criticism for centering on two characters who were stereotypes": the "wisecracking black guy" and the "Asian guy with kung fu skills". There are some people that like comedians that are more Chris Tucker and Martin Lawrence.

"I am African-American. I am a comedian". "I do not think we are showing negative stereotypes on this show. A part of that is showing diversity". "Not only because it would offend people like yourself but because the audience wouldn't respond to it" said Lawrence.

"I think it's a valid question because were we to repeat the pilot week in, week out... Its one of the things that we drag through". It's created to put us on the offensive, but that's your prerogative.

That's when Lawrence (Cougar Town, Scrubs) stepped in: "I have a track record - I'm very proud of diversity on the writing staff, I'm very proud of the diversity on the show behind the cameras, very proud of the diversity in the crew - and I want to say that not in a defensive way". If you ever see my standup comedy, I'm kind of like that character.

Lawrence pointed out that while he thinks the "Rush Hour" pilot will pull viewers in, "shows change after the pilot". "We can't do the movie over and over for five years", Lawrence said, noting that John Foo's character, originated by Jackie Chan in the films, will become "lighter" and "funnier" as time goes on.

Lawrence also highlighted the importance of showcasing representations of diverse communities. I did not necessarily see that in this pilot. He also brought up Aimee Garcia's character being a single mother, which he is proud that his show represents. I'm pretty proud about the trajectory. "I think the show would fail", Lawrence continued.

Before the heated conversation began, cast member Wendie Malick unintentionally used ill-chosen words to describe her character, saying, "There are a few *****s in my armor".

Lawrence said the idea of doing a buddy cop show came first, folllowed by the idea of hanging it on the hit movie franchise.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Premieres this Thursday

I hope he's considerably funnier. I always found Tucker annoying.

Rush Hour Reboot: Justin Hires Hopes He's 'Half as Funny' As Chris Tucker
    By Ryan Schwartz / March 29 2016, 6:00 AM PDT

Justin Hires would like you to understand these words coming outta his mouth: “No one wants to see me do a Chris Tucker impersonation.”
    The star of CBS’ Rush Hour (premiering Thursday, March 31 at 10/9c) — from executive producers Brett Ratner (who directed the original 1998 action-comedy), Bill Lawrence and Blake McCormick (Cougar Town) — is not interested in some second-rate adaptation of the beloved Tucker/Jackie Chan film trilogy.
    “[Chris Tucker]’s already done Chris Tucker and he did it brilliantly,” he tells TVLine. “I knew I had to bring myself to this role.”
    Indeed, Hires is thrilled to reinvent a character once played by one of his heroes, who he first saw in 1995’s Friday and thought “was one of the funniest people” he had seen in his life. “I thought if I could be half as funny as this guy, perhaps I could have a career in Hollywood, and that’s exactly what I am: half as funny!”
    Below, Hires discusses the newly agile Detective Carter, what it was like to meet Tucker (twice!) and his bizarre connection to Kevin Hart.

TVLINE | How important was it for you to differentiate your version of Detective Carter from the version we’ve seen in all three films?

It was extremely important. I’ve been doing stand-up comedy for almost nine years, and when you’ve been doing it for that long, you develop your own comedic voice. I knew the success of this show relied on two things: for me and Jon Foo (who plays Lee) to bring our own personalities to the characters — for us not to do a Chris Tucker or Jackie Chan impersonation — and our chemistry.

TVLINE | Did you have the chance to speak with Tucker at any point during production?

No… I have, however, met Chris Tucker twice. When I did Stomp the Yard, [he] came on set one day and I said “I just want you to know that I’m standing next to you and I’m hoping your aura makes me funnier.” He started laughing and said, “You’re a pretty funny man.” Then about four years ago, I was performing at the Comedy Store [in L.A.] and [he] was sitting in the back. I stopped my show and said, “I just want you to know that you’re literally one of the reasons that I got into comedy. I think you’re hilarious and I love you.” Chris was like, “Ha, I love you too, man!”

TVLINE | Unlike the films, Carter doesn’t just serve as comic relief. He seems every bit as capable of fending off bad guys as Lee. Was that intentional?

That’s a question I asked the director. I know in the original films that some of the humor was that Carter wasn’t as agile as the Lee character. However, they told me, “If you’re athletic, just do it.” My first two loves are martial arts — I have a first degree black belt in karate — and comedy. I have that natural athleticism in me, and that’s something that’s different [than] Chris [Tucker] — not in a bad way, but my comedy is very physical.
    I’m only 5’6, so for it to be believable to the audience that I can take on these bad guys, I have to show that I can kick some ass. A fun fact is that Kevin Hart and I share the same stunt double… we’re little guys. [Laughs.] I feel good to know that I’m sharing the same stunt double as Kevin Hart.

Pictured L-R: Leon Lee as Jawing and John Foo as Detective Lee Photo: Cliff Lipson/CBS  ©2015 CBS Broadcasting, Inc. All Rights Reserved

TVLINE | Was co-star Jon Foo, who’s a professional martial artist, able to give you any pointers when it came time to film those fight sequences?

He taught me that real martial artists don’t have belts. [Laughs.] I haven’t practiced martial arts since maybe middle school; he’s been training nonstop and it shows. He showed me how a real martial artist fights on a set and it was a pleasure to watch.

TVLINE | Carter is also grounded by his friendship with Didi (played by Dexter vet Aimee Garcia), who essentially takes the place that Tania (played by the late Elizabeth Peña) had in the first film. What can you tell us about that relationship?

That’s my best friend on the show. That’s the way we’re setting it up, but I think… if we’re fortunate enough to have more seasons, that’s a relationship that could grow into something. As of now, she’s my ex-partner.

TVLINE | Much of the humor of Rush Hour draws from the culture clash between Carter and Lee, who’s fresh from Hong Kong. Obviously though, some of the jokes you were able to get away with in 1998 won’t slide in 2016. How does this version address their differences without offending anyone?

I think everyone in Hollywood is a little bit more sensitive to people’s backgrounds and cultural upbringings now, and I think in the dialogue we try to make sure that nothing is said that is going to be completely disrespectful to the other person’s culture. The good thing about a joke — a good joke — is that people allow things to slide. It’s when you say a joke that isn’t funny that the PC police come out in droves.

TVLINE | In one of the many promos CBS is running (as seen below), Lee tells Carter that he is already corrupting his soul. How might we start to see Lee “corrupt” Carter?

I think, if anything, Lee rubs off on Carter more so. Carter is just trying to solve these cases by any means necessary, however he does respect Lee tremendously. Lee gets the job done and he’s humble about it, and we will start to see that [rub] off. He’s still Carter, the charismatic, boisterous human being that he can be, but at the same time he realizes that you don’t have to be so loud and ****y to get the job done.

TVLINE | And what would you say to potential viewers who are on the fence about tuning in for another TV reboot?

We have drones, explosions, gun fights… it’s almost like watching a mini-movie every week on television. I completely understand the skepticism, but when people watch I think they’re gonna say, “You know, this is alright!” I think [they’re] going to be pleasantly surprised.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Premieres tonight

Most of the advanced reviews are tepid. I liked what this one had to say (plus I liked the gifs):

Will Jackie Chan Join The 'Rush Hour' Series? The CBS Reboot Won't Be The Same Without Him

Frederick M. Brown/Getty Images Entertainment/Getty Images

KELLY SCHREMPH 21 minutes ago ENTERTAINMENT

With only hours left until the Rush Hour reboot premiere, the countdown to another aspect of our ongoing '90s nostalgia has officially begun. But before we submerse ourselves into the depths of yet another TV adaptation, there are a few things that are undoubtedly on every fan's mind, primarily involving the stars who made this buddy cop dynamic so successful in the first place. Will Jackie Chan ever appear in the Rush Hour series, for example? Obviously, he wouldn't be able to assume his original role as Detective Lee, considering Jon Foo is currently cast in the role. But a seeing him return for a small cameo would be pretty cool, right? Unfortunately, the odds of that happening seems pretty unlikely, at least for the time being.

After combing through the vast reaches of the internet, I found there to be very little talk of having Chan or Chris Tucker appear on the show in any capacity. Variety.com reported back in 2014 that Chan admitted to being approached about a potential Rush Hour 4, but was unwilling to agree unless presented with a truly impressive script.

"Lately they want to make Rush Hour 4," Chan explained to the outlet. "I said ‘No, show me the script first. I don’t need another Rush Hour 4. You need Rush Hour 4. Show me the script.’ I don’t want to do a rubbish script just because they want to make the movie."

And that seems to be the extent of Chan's involvement in any aspect of the franchise, so I wouldn't bank on seeing him pop up in an episode anytime soon. But that's probably for the best and will allow the show a chance to step out of the films' shadow. However, that doesn't mean Chan's impressive action movies and comic flair won't still be missed, which why I've rounded up some of his best moments as Rush Hour's lovable Lee. Because while this may be the end of an era, that doesn't mean we can't go back and reminisce about what was.

1. When He Got In Touch With His Inner Dancer

Just two bros hanging out and busting a serious move.

2. When He Managed To Pull Off A Purple Bathrobe

And kick some serious butt in the process.

3. When He Threw Carter's Words Back At Him

Proving once and for all that he's just as sassy as his partner.

4. When He Reminded Carter About What Happens When You Assume

Upon first meeting, Carter jumped to the conclusion that Lee couldn't speak English — an assumption that Lee took his time in correcting in order to have a little fun with his new partner. Well played, my friend. Very well played.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

First forum review!

meh.

I like John Foo (and anyone is better than Tucker), but frankly, if you're going to redo a Jackie Chan film franchise for TV, the fight choreography needs to deliver. The fights were really unimpressive.

What made this even tougher for me was the fact that El Rey's Flying Five Finger One Armed Eight Pole Shaolin Exploding Death Touch Thursday was showing that wonderful 80s Shaw Brothers comedy, Lady Is the Boss. Rush Hour just couldn't hold a candle to Kara Hui, Gordon Liu and Lau Kar Leung, doing disco Kung Fu, dirt bike Kung Fu, and other absurd Fus. I found myself resenting having to flip back to Rush Hour after enjoying some Lady Is the Boss during CBS commercial breaks.

Every Random Fun Fact You Should Know About CBS Rush Hour Star Jon Foo
    By Jessica Radloff 22 Hours Ago

It's an exciting time for 33-year-old Jon Foo. Not only does the TV drama Rush Hour (based on the hit feature film franchise) premiere on CBS on March 31, but the show also marks Foo's first starring role ever. The London-born actor of Chinese and Irish descent has been a skilled martial artist and stuntman for years, but learning the ropes of a demanding television drama is an entirely different skill. "It was a very heavy workload," admits Foo. "I really had to break it down to day by day, hour by hour to handle the whole thing. [But] it was a great time, and I got to be creative, have some fun."

Having put down roots in Los Angeles ("I've found places to train here," he says), Foo is making himself at home and eager to see how audiences respond to Rush Hour on the small screen. But first, let's get to know Foo. Time to play 10 Fun Icebreakers!

1. You're half-Chinese/half-Irish. What are your favorite traditions from both nationalities?
    "In Ireland, we don't have much traditions other than being just ridiculously stupid and blaming it on being Irish. [Laughs] And the Chinese New Year is always a great time—and fireworks. That's probably one of the best [traditions]."

2. You obviously are quite talented at martial arts. What's one of your hidden talents?
    “I'm pretty good at picking out gifts that are almost insulting, but actually quite specific. Those are always well-received. I got one of the guys from the show a Godzilla toy because if you watch our show it will make sense. I also love to play guitar. I like to play funk and rock and anything that creates a good vibe."

3. You're playing Jackie Chan's role in Rush Hour. Have you met him, and if so, what have you learned from watching him? “Yeah, I sent my demo tape to Hong Kong when I was 19, and they invited me to go over to China to work on a few movies. I met him there. The first time I met him was up by the Yellow River in Northern China. He's extremely talented and is an inspiration to me. Jackie Chan is basically rhythm, and he has a lot of musicality in his movement, so [that’s what I learned from watching him].”

4. You were born in England. Have you ever met any of the Royal Family, and who would you most like to teach martial arts to?
    “I performed in the Royal Albert Hall, but there was no royalty at the time [there]. I've done a lot of performances around London. If I could teach any of the royal family, I would teach the Queen how to do a spinning back hook kick. It's quite simple, actually, but it could be taught.”

5. Bill Lawrence is the executive producer of Rush Hour. Of his former hit series (Scrubs, Cougar Town, and Spin City), which one is your favorite and why?
    “I know Scrubs the most. I like that one because it doesn't take itself too seriously. It's slapstick. Sometimes it’s reality, and sometimes it's complete fantasy. I think they have a good balance of the two, which was probably not too easy to achieve.”

6. You started learning kung fu when you were eight years old. Who did you practice on that you shouldn't have?
    “Maybe my younger sister. I was five years older than her. Well, the worst thing I did to her was trap in her a box. I put her in the box just for a little while actually, but somehow she remembers it. A lot of time she tells me she remembers being in a box. It was a cardboard box, like one that a TV would be in.”

7. You're taking salsa lessons with your costar Aimee Garcia. How’s that going, and what's your favorite dance movie of all time?
    “Aimee is always calling me up to do dance lessons. Next week she wants to learn Argentine Tango. I love dancing with Aimee. She's great and full of energy. I think she wants to be on Dancing With the Stars, and she wants more dancing on our show too. I don't really have a favorite dance movie. I've never really been a fan of dance movies to be honest. I did use to watch Dirty Dancing when I was in Ireland.”

8. You're not a big social media guy. Why have you been reluctant to embrace it?
    “If I could do something and stay creative with it, then yeah, I would post more. If I had a creative reason for it. Some people do some short movies or films or put in music, but I don't want to do selfies and whatnot. I want to have something offer, but I haven't figured that out yet.”

9. You don't have a car and take Uber everywhere. 1) Can you drive, and 2) what's the oddest conversation you've ever had with an Uber driver?
    “Yes, I can drive. I have a license. I've had some weird conversations with Uber drivers. Usually it's people just playing their mix tapes for me. There was one dude who is trying to make an opera of the bible, and he just bangs it on with the speakers on as loud as possible and the windows down, and there's this opera music with a full orchestra shooting out of the windows, and he’s just calm as a stone, and he’s trying to get me to critique to his operatic bible. I'm like, ‘Does it need to be at 100 decibels? Can I listen to it at normal levels?’ I'm getting a motorcycle real soon, so I’ll be cruising around.”

10. When you started making money doing stunts, what was your first big grown-up purchase and your first splurge purchase?
    “I've yet to grow up, so that hasn't happened yet. All of the purchases have been pretty much splurge purchases. I bought a $2,000 guitar. Back in the day, I would buy boxing gloves, training equipment, vacations, getaways, and training, rock-climbing, etc. I'd invest everything into physical progress to get better and better.”

Rush Hour premieres tonight on CBS at 10 P.M. ET.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Got through episode 2

You know, I'd like the show if it wasn't for the mediocre action sequences. There is some bromance chemistry between Foo and Hires and if not for the precedent Jackie films, the show would work.

SPOILER the 'I'm not Jackie' line was funny END SPOILER
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips