Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pan Gen 盘根

Pan Gen 盘根

Gene mentioned Pan Gen (盘根) in this thread. I'm not sure if it is a prominent or important among Shaolin lineages, as I've only learned the first two roads under the supervision of Wu Nanfang, and it's an introductory exercise in the same way "wu bu quan" is introductory to many modern wushu schools.

I've seen four roads of Pan Gen and I've been told there's a fifth. I have no idea how important the roads besides the first two are. I'm fairly satisfied with keeping these in my daily practice, but I'm curious to know what lineages/traditions they are associated with. Any Shaolin expects want to chime in?

Here are some clips of the first road:
    http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDk2NTc5OTI=.html

"I'm a highly ranked officer of his tong. HE is the Dragon Head. our BOSS. our LEADER. the Mountain Lord." - hskwarrior

Small bit of Pangen (er lu) buried in this longer clip (about 1:50-1:56).

Last edited by rett2; 10-02-2014 at 01:06 PM.

Long Pangen (yilu) instruction section starting about 8:07 here:

ancient tree curling roots refers to story of a demon tree that curls out its roots around peoples legs. hence the emphasis of curling and uprooting legs in chanwuyi

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by pazman View Post
    Gene mentioned Pan Gen (盘根) in this thread. I'm not sure if it is a prominent or important among Shaolin lineages, as I've only learned the first two roads under the supervision of Wu Nanfang, and it's an introductory exercise in the same way "wu bu quan" is introductory to many modern wushu schools.

I've seen four roads of Pan Gen and I've been told there's a fifth. I have no idea how important the roads besides the first two are. I'm fairly satisfied with keeping these in my daily practice, but I'm curious to know what lineages/traditions they are associated with. Any Shaolin expects want to chime in?

Here are some clips of the first road:
    http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDk2NTc5OTI=.html

It might also be worth mentioning these foundational movement practices assist in developing/understanding the relation between the roots of the "Three Sections" (SanJie), which is the basis for any coordinated movement. (each of the three sections of the body has a root part)

An excerpt from (I believe it's actually an adaptation from Agnes Chan's book, but maybe from one of De Jians other students):

The study of Xin Yi Ba includes many aspects of different theories and practical training, such as: the three sections (Ming San Jie), the four sensations (Qi Si Shao), guarding the five elements (Bi Wu Xing), The Three Voids -- as well as an understanding of the six combinations (Liu He).

Ming San Jie明三节 – the understanding of the three sections

The body has three main sections: hands to shoulders (upper section), chest to waist (middle section) and hips to feet (root section).

Each main section consists of three other sections:
    Upper section: hands (upper), elbows (middle) and shoulders (root).
    Middle section: chest (upper), heart (middle) and lower abdomen (root).
    Root section: feet (upper), knees (middle) and hips (root).

The relationship between the three sections has its own unique function. For example, when a movement is performed from one of the three sections, the other two sections must be in harmony in order to generate the power from the movement performed. This means any movements must be supported by the power generated from the whole body. This is explains how important it is for practitioners to understand the San Jie.
    Quote culled from: http://shaolinxinyi.blogspot.com/2009/04/xin-yi-ba.html

(Note Xinyiba here is not a reference to a particular TaoLu/form)

Continuation:

(Only 1 video allowed per post, so I have to post another for second part)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    Continuation:

(Only 1 video allowed per post, so I have to post another for second part)

Super cool, pazman. Thanks for getting this rolling!

I just learned this form from Shi Yantuo. It was the first time I was exposed to it, so I don't really know much about it beyond the movements. I'm not sure how many roads I have but will review the vids later to figure that out. I really like it and it has become part of my daily regimen, right after my baduanjin. It's very Taiji-like, and I've been meaning to get more internal.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I have been to a lot of places in SongShan and I have only seen this particular form 'PanGen' in the ChanWuYi/WuGuLun clan. I was surprised to hear Gene mention it, I didn't realise it was practiced outside those schools.

The name GuShuPanGen (An ancient tree with twisted roots) is used a lot within forms and theory, its a nice image.

Would be interesting to see if Genes form is the same or not.
    Last edited by RenDaHai; 10-05-2014 at 08:12 AM.
    問「武」。曰:「克。」未達。曰:「勝己之私之謂克。」

Quote Originally Posted by RenDaHai View Post
    I have been to a lot of places in SongShan and I have only seen this particular form 'PanGen' in the ChanWuYi/WuGuLun clan. I was surprised to hear Gene mention it, I didn't realise it was practiced outside those schools.

The name GuShuPanGen (An ancient tree with twisted roots) is used a lot within forms and theory, its a nice image.

Would be interesting to see if Genes form is the same or not.
    It's possible Master Wu even just made it up from foundational movements to aid in foundational practice repetition.

A student of Master De Jian who left and started his own school didn't even list it at all on the list of practices, gongs, forms, etc. so it's not clear that even Master Xing Xing (let alone Wu Shan Lin) taught it as a form.

List below from one of Master De Jians students who left to another temple and started his own school at another temple:
    FOUNDATION LEVEL
    Shaolin Basics (Ji ben gong)
    Stance training (Zhuang gong)
    House stance
    Bow and arrow stance
    Cat stance
    Unicom stance
    Pubu stance
    Han ji bu
    Stepping methods (Bu fa)
    Triangle steps (San jiao bu)
    Forward and Backward steps (Jin tui bu)
    Rat step (Dian bu)
    Single attacking movements (Gongfa)
    Lian huan zhang
    Gong bu chong quan
    Tiao da
    Bo da
    Pubu jia da
    Tao lu (Traditional forms)
    Xiao hong quan

INTERMEDIATE LEVEL
    Stance training(Zhuang gong)
    Zuo you yi zhong
    San bu hua yi
    Guo bu
    Che bu
    Single attacking movements(Gong fa)
    Ding zhou
    You zhang
    Ya shou
    Bai hu xi lian
    Shuang za quan
    Liao shou
    Shuang tui shan
    La gong shi
    Bai shi
    Tao lu (Traditional forms)
    Da hong quan
    Wu xin ba fa
    Xiao tong bi
    Tong chun quan
    Weapon forms
    Qi mei gun
    Lian huan dao
    Bu fa (stepping skills)
    Wu bu gui yi
    Que bu
    Jian bu
    Shaolin mei hua zhuang

ADVANCED LEVEL
    Internal Training
    Xu zhuang
    San xin tiao xi fa
    Yi jin jing
    Ba duan jing
    Tu na dao yin
    Shaolin Xinyi ba

Details of how they do yilu (at least) have changed over the last 7 years or so. You can see an earlier version here

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzkwMTAxMTI=.html

Withered Tree in Qing Era Shaolin

An image of Withered Tree Entwines Roots from the Qing. This appears in Shaolin Luohan Short Strikes. It is also a part of the training of Mantis Kung Fu

Withered Tree Entwines its Roots
    First Round; Rhinoceros gazes at the moon push both hands

Rhinoceros gazes at the moon push both hands.
    Turn your body twist your waist step in front of your chest.
    With a stealing step and wrapping hook lean against your knee.
    Pull in your elbows when entering and exiting.
    Turning requires the strength of both legs.
    Raise the qi and collect the breath in your mouth.

枯樹盤根式
    第一回犀牛望月推雙掌
    犀牛望月推雙手,
    翻身扭腰胸前走,
    偷步纏勾偏單膝,
    一出一入積雙肘,
    還轉須用兩腿力,
    提气呼吸收在口。
    Attached Images Attached Images  

It also appears in Ming era martial book Wu Bian as an attack of the legs using the meteor hammer.

下使枯樹盤根。
    When attacking the bottom use withered tree intwines the roots.

Quote Originally Posted by Tainan Mantis View Post
    It also appears in Ming era martial book Wu Bian as an attack of the legs using the meteor hammer.

下使枯樹盤根。
    When attacking the bottom use withered tree intwines the roots.
    I'm not sure exactly how this relates, but the application for the final move of Pan Gen Er Lu as I've been shown it involves grabbing an opponent's leg near the ankle and uprooting him.

Quote Originally Posted by rett2 View Post
    I'm not sure exactly how this relates, but the application for the final move of Pan Gen Er Lu as I've been shown it involves grabbing an opponent's leg near the ankle and uprooting him.
    Sounds like the name fits, where is that?