Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Yang Style Tai Chi

Repulsive Monkey Guest

HHmm

You can see how the lineage chart is somewhat biased as they have Cheng Man-ching as being not a direct student of Yang Cheng-fu. Even Chen Wei-ming recognized Cheng's skill and he was considered Yang Cheng-fu's most loyal and long serving disciple. I do understand that Yang family politics managed to shuffle people around to make their own family look good, this is the case with Cheng Man-ching I feel as it was with Tian Shao-ling who actually studied under Yang Shao-huo and it was said under Yang Chien-huo, however they didn't want him looking better than Yang Cheng-fu I guess

Sam Wiley Guest

Just for interest's sake...

Patriot asked where Erle Montaigue fits into the lineage. His first official teacher was Chu King Hung. Later, he had his form corrected by Yang Sau Chung. After leaving Chu, he found Chang Yiu Chun in Australia, a student of Yang Shao-hou. Chang became his main teacher.

"I put forth my power and he was broken.
    I withdrew my power and he was ground into fine dust."

-Aleister Crowley, The Vision and the Voice

fajinpower Guest

Yang Style Taiji.

Did anyone know the application in yang Taiji or how to get information on the applications in Taiji? Does anyone know the differences between the Taiji family style beside the forms itself. What is the differences between the family.

Some Yang Movement Set.
    How do you use them in combat?

1) Grasping Peacock Tail
    2) Single Whip
    3) Repulsive Monkey
    4) Brush Knee push hand
    5) Cloud Hands
    etc...

"Within stillness is movement, within movement is stillness; your body is a circles."

Sam Wiley Guest
    Bro, you've asked more than you can get from a forum. As for the applications for the form postures, you'll have to be shown them, as you simply cannot learn them from what is written, especially without pictures. Al Krych is a very good Taijiquan teacher in New Jersey that you might want to look up. His e-mail address is pr@nac.net

And as for the family style differences, there are many differences between the family styles. The forms are different, training methods are different...most things will be different. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than myself could give you a comparison list of the different family styles so you could understand a little better.

Xebsball Guest
    You will find some stuff here:
    http://www.geocities.com/~wahnam/

More specifcly:
    http://www.geocities.com/wahnam/comb/combat.html

----------------------------
    You brake my elbow i put your face in s.hit! HA HA HA, how about that, HA HA!

SolarStance Guest

Hmmm...

Dr. Yang Jwing-Mng has a series of books on Yang Style Taiji that have some very interesting application techniques for the postures you mentioned and more. Even some intricate chin-na for single whip, etc. You can find the books at most reputabale book stores, or order directly form Yang Publication Center--www.ymaa.com.
    This might be a good start. I found that the more I practise the postures the more applications come to light. But a book like this is great for a start.
    )))Solar Stance((( :)

Nexus Guest
    Tai Chi Chuan : 24 and 48 Postures With Martial Applications

by Shou-Yu Liang, Wen-Ching Wu, Denise Breiter (Editor)

Great book by someone who will be coming up to Alaska for the spring tai chi festival here in 2002!

- Nexus

fajinpower Guest

Thank You Everyone

All the info are very useful!

"Within stillness is movement, within movement is stillness; your body is a circles."

Ma_Xu_Zha Guest

Yang Training

studying applications is good for general purpose. what I have experienced is that most of my teachers show the applications out of push hands training and that study of form, push hands will develope hua jing which is necessary for the martial aspect. This comes from training hard with a good teacher, and having correct form. It is easy to display ming jing or obvious power, but the true goal is hua jing or hidden power. then the applications have true internal power within.

the suggested books above show some applications and may help to a degree, but a good teacher with sound knowledge will advance your practice.

RAF Guest
    Ma_Xu_Zha

Really excellent insight (training principle). I hope you will take the time to elaborate.

Thanks

MaFuYee Guest
    solarstance,
    - yjm's tai chi applications bite the big one.

ma2,
    - nice sounding post; but, you still haven't told him how to apply anything(!) - and, that was the question at hand...

also, i don't believe push hands alone, can really prepare you for actual fighting. (but, it sure does reduce the risk of liability.)

- neque mibi quisquam Judaeorum fabulas objiciat.

Ma_Xu_Zha Guest

mafuyee

There is nothing in the universe that says you have to believe what I mentioned about applications practiced out of push hands. Speaking from my own experience with many teachers there is great mistake in practicing rote applications. The taiji oral explanation for developing skill is something like ni na ting hua da fa - stick, adhere, neutralize, follow, attack and emit this is the heart of push hands. Applications practiced in a stop and go fashion have some functions, but in taiji one purpose is developing sensitivity and softness to react naturally and this is done with push hand training. All the techniques that pung_lu_ji_an is interested in are within the push hands method.

i have to get back to work will check later to claify if necessary.
    peace

bamboo_ leaf Guest
    “ i don't believe push hands alone, can really prepare you for actual fighting. (but, it sure does reduce the risk of liability.)”

Interesting what would you suggest doing to gain the skills needed to use TC?

:)

bamboo leaf

Nexus Guest
    I'd suggest eating rice!

Yang Style Tai Ji Quan

Out of the 10 routines of Yang Style taijiquan who practises the 6th "Xiao Jiu Tian" (Small 9 Heavens) often. Do you find the coling aspects advantages to your normal practise.