I've always thought this was the stupidest Buddhist tradition. When I was in Bodh Gaya, people tried to sell me fish to release in the lotus pond. I was like 'why don't you just release it yourself and get the good karma instead of selling it to me?'

Buddhist 'life release' breeds illegal animal trade in Hainan
Andy Hong and Staff Reporter
2014-10-08
08:57 (GMT+8)

Sea turtles released in Hainan, May 9. (Photo/Xinhua)

Businesses which cater to individuals wanting to perform the Buddhist practice of life release, or releasing animals back to nature for spiritual purposes, have been established on China's southern island province of Hainan, a place where endangered species are known to be bred illegally, China National Radio (CNR) reports.

In the coastal resort of Sanya, CNR reported the existence of a life release operation in the Buddhist-themed Nanshan Cultural Tourism Zone. Various species of fish and turtles are available for people to set free into the sea, with prices ranging from 39-1,999 yuan (US$6.35-$325). The most expensive are sea turtles, which can cost up to 50,000 yuan (US$8,150).

Workers there told CNR that the turtles are purchased from licensed farms and that they are not recaptured after being released.

However, a report by Shanghai-based online news agency the Paper said local fishermen had admitted to capturing the released sea turtles and selling them back for a profit.

One sea turtle breeder from a nearby town said that his farm is unlicensed since the turtles are protected animals in China and breeding them is not allowed. Yet he still sells smaller turtles to businesses for 1,000 yuan (US$162) and larger ones for 2,000 yuan (US$325). These are later priced to customers at 4,000 to 5,000 yuan (US$650-$815).