Thread: Daniel Wu: now a comic character - on Kickstarter - EVERMIND

Daniel Wu: now a comic character - on Kickstarter - EVERMIND

Our very own Daniel Wu is not going to be a comic character. Following in the footsteps of Keanu Reeves & James Hong.

Fresh off the heels of playing the Monkey King, Sun Wukong, in [not all cap "Disney+'s "] American Born Chinese series based on the eponymous graphic novel, Daniel Wu (WestWorld, Warcraft, Into the Badlands) joins forces with seasoned comic book creator Sean Chen (Iron Man, Wolverine, Batman Beyond) to launch their own graphic novel campaign, EVERMIND.

A science fiction graphic novel set in the near future follows renowned scientist Lucas Zhang, who develops breakthrough technology to control robots through the human mind. His invention becomes the tech stack that drives everything from theme park mascots to military mechs, but those two worlds are about to collide.
    PLUGO (formerly Design Sifu) author, illustrator, comic creator:@PLUGO on Twitter | @PLUGOarts on Instagram - but all the good stuff is on PLUGOarts.com

To Be Adapted For TV & Film

‘American Born Chinese’ Star Daniel Wu Developing Comic Book Series ‘Evermind’, Set To Be Adapted For TV & Film
    By Rosy Cordero
    Associate Editor, TV
    @SocialRosy

September 18, 2023 4:59pm

Getty

EXCLUSIVE: Daniel Wu (American Born Chinese, Badlands) is co-writing and developing a comic book series with veteran Marvel, DC and Valiant artist Sean Chen, with plans to adapt the property for film and TV starring Wu.

The project, Evermind, will debut via Kickstarter on Tuesday.

Evermind, from 247 Comics, tells the story of overlooked innovator Lucas Zhang (whose likeness is inspired by Wu), who has worked his entire life to push humanity beyond the bounds of physical limitations with his incredible developments in neurolink technology. But his quest for success has come at a cost. Now, in a desperate attempt to save his own humanity — and the life of his only child — Zhang unleashes a powerful new technology that is too dangerous to be trusted. Now he is selling out and cashing in, and his patented masterworks are serving only two purposes: destruction and desire.

“As a minority lead actor, no matter your level of previous success or notable roles, in Hollywood there are only so many parts you are going to be offered. So, I got to thinking, why should I wait around for that next opportunity, when I could just create and define it for myself?” Wu said in a statement to Deadline.

He continued, “I found the perfect collaborator in Sean, because he had two characters he had been drawing for years, but it was this partnership that helped build out the backstory, the world, and the motivations of the characters themselves. The best part of starting this journey in comics is that we aren’t confined by the same sort of budget that prohibits film and television. Kickstarter gives us the opportunity to prove the viability of this property for multiple mediums, and bring fans along for the entire ride.”

Added Chen, “At its heart, Evermind is about two people—a scientist father and his teenage daughter—who are driven apart by contrasting ideology and then forced together by incredible circumstances. I was really inspired by the story of Steve Jobs and his troubled relationship with his daughter, which was complicated and nuanced, and goes so much deeper than, ‘You were never there!’ This relationship is the story engine that plays out against a series of events where you wonder if the gulf between them will ever be closed and what will be the fate of the father’s soul.”
    So many comics are the stepping stones for TV & film now.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    So many comics are the stepping stones for TV & film now.
    We call it the Maybe Movie Model in the biz . . .
    PLUGO (formerly Design Sifu) author, illustrator, comic creator:@PLUGO on Twitter | @PLUGOarts on Instagram - but all the good stuff is on PLUGOarts.com