Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

New review on KungFuMagazine.com

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Actually saw it last night.
    Not bad.
    I liked the fight scenes, the flow using Jui Jitsu were crisp.
    I doubt it will win any awards, but it was definitely entertaining.
    I also liked William Dafoe.
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

John Wick Trailer GIF Set -

First time doing this, usually make GIFs off of Blu-ray or DVD, but John Wick comes out Feb 3. Made some GIFs from the trailers found on YouTube.

Keanu Reeves as John Wick uses a shooting style called "Central Axis Relock".

Enjoy!

Some more GIFs here if you want to check out more:

http://www.stickgrappler.net/2014/12...r-gif-set.html

John Wick 2

We'll split this off into a separate thread when it becomes more firm.

‘John Wick’ Directors Are Already Working on a Sequel (Exclusive)
    By Jason Guerrasio Feb 04, 2015

We’re happy to report that if you were completely blown away by the action and thrills in John Wick, the directors tell us they’re in the works on another one.

During our chat with Chad Stahelski and David Leitch for “Director’s Notebook,” the stuntmen turned directors revealed that they definitely want to give the fans what they want and are currently working on a sequel to their hit debut, which not only proved that Keanu Reeves is still a viable action star but introduced us to some spectacular new action sequences like “gun fu” and “car fu.”

“We’re in development right now,” Stahelski told us.

They didn’t go into any specifics on story or if Reeves would return, though Stahelski did hint, “If we could work with Keanu Reeves for 10 movies you’d have a really cool career.” The two admitted that pressure of a sequel isn’t coming up with more action, but keeping the character relatable.

“We have ideas for days and without blinking twice we know we can outdo the action from the original,” Stahelski said. “It’s the matter of story and how much you like the character. That’s always the most important. If there’s great action but you have a character that no one likes and doesn’t have charisma you’re not going to watch it. Look at any great action star, whether it’s Harrison Ford or Liam Neeson or Robert Downey Jr., pick a name, you love the guy first. Good action, bad action, you just love them in action. So we want to make sure we have a story and a character that everybody loves and then we’ll dress it with action that we promise will be awesome.”

“You gotta go on a journey with the guy and have to like the guy,” Leitch added.

Stahelski and Leitch are hot commodities in the action world at the moment as news broke last week that they are in early talks to helm Cowboy Ninja Viking, starring Chris Pratt.

John Wick is now available on Blu-ray. Look for our full interview with the directors later today.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Watching that now with de brudda - its pretty good
    "The perfect way to do, is to be" ~ Lao Tzu

woah...

...there are articles in Playboy.

There Is No Best Stunts Oscar And These Two Stuntmen (And ‘John Wick’ Directors) Call Foul
    By Marc Bernardin February 3, 2015

David Leitch and Chad Stahelski

According to the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, the Oscars “shall be given annually to honor outstanding achievements in theatrically released feature-length motion pictures.” Achievements in acting, directing, producing, costume design, documentaries, special effects, production design, etc. — 17 categories in all. But none of them are for stunts.

Stuntmen have been a staple of Hollywood for as long as there have been movies, but the Academy has never recognized their contributions to cinema. There are separate Oscars for Sound Design and Sound Editing, but nothing for people who risk lives and limb to get the perfect shot.

As we’re mere weeks away from the Oscars, we asked Chad Stahelski and David Leitch — veteran stuntmen, stunt coordinators and now directors, whose John Wick hits video and online services today — what they thought of the Academy’s continued lack of respect.

Do you guys think stunt professionals deserve to be recognized by the Academy?
    DAVID LEITCH: We’re gonna probably give you a split answer on that. Even though we have a company together, 87Eleven, we’ve known each other for 20 years, I think it’s not a cut and dry question. It’s like, how do you evaluate it? What movies would be recognized? Internationally or domestically? I truly believe that stunts should be recognized if all the other departments are recognized. It is sort of unnerving when you watch visual effects and special effects get nominated for films that there was a significant stunt element that made those effects look great. I think the award should go probably to the coordinator. But a lot of times the coordinator isn’t behind it, he’s just aggregating the talent. So maybe it should be the choreographer. It’s a hard question, but there’s a way to figure that out. I think it’s really sad that we’re not recognized.

CHAD STAHELSKI: Back in the day when the wardrobe supervisor did all the wardrobe, the stunt guy did all the stunts. Now it’s so cross-pollinated. Who comes up with the action design? There’s a pre-vis guy, there’s a storyboard guy, there’s a director, a producer, there’s a writer…you never know. People come in with a blank page and they go, “insert car chase here,” and then Dave and I will sit down and either write it, storyboard it, design it, or execute it. So is it our idea? Their idea? It’s a little messy how all the colors blend together at this point. I mean, yeah, stunts should be recognized. We’re in every trailer. We’re probably in at least in the top two or three largest parts of action movies. To ignore it is kind of silly.

LEITCH: There is sort of also this sort of bravado stunt men have had since the beginning. We’re the guys behind the guys and we don’t need the glory. And it’s not about the glory, it’s just about respecting an industry. People have given their lives to this industry to make movies compelling. Film is a collaborative artform, I don’t know why you wouldn’t recognize the stunt performers. I think it’s dumb. I’m not sure why [stunts aren’t recognized]. I really don’t. I think there’s an urban legend that back in the day one of the cowboy stuntmen had an altercation with a member of the Academy… But I really don’t know that whole story. It seems archaic and I don’t know why. You watch your contemporaries on Oscar night and you are like, “I know that special effects supervisor.” By the way, we provided him with about half of the physical content for the thing. The stunts they did were not easy. There might be huge wire descenders or putting people in…you know, real stunts that are enhanced by special effects. But it’s the visual effects that gets the award? Shouldn’t there be an award for people that put their lives on the line? To make movies good?

Speaking to that, can you guys imagine a time when, given the steady march of technological refinement, stunt men won’t be necessary? Can you imagine a time when it’s all just digital models and effects?
    LEITCH: I can. I hope not, but I can.
    STAHELSKI: They’re called cartoons.
    LEITCH: They’ve been saying for years that they’re gonna be able to digitally model people. I think there’ll always be a market budget-wise for organic stunts and organic action. People will always be able to tell the difference. But I don’t know. Until they can prove that you can do a digital guy well, I don’t know. I always smell a rat.
    STAHELSKI: Anybody can watch a mostly CG movie and anybody can watch On Golden Pond and tell you what the difference is. It’s like, [CG is] an art form that tries to draw on the humanity of it or tries to push you away from the humanity of it or make you feel something. It’s just another tool. Is it gonna be prevalent, just another tool in the box, another style or genre? Sure.

Is there the kind of holy grail of stunts?
    STAHELSKI: We get asked that a lot. “What’s your most dangerous stunt, what’s the toughest stunt?” For us it’s not about the individual gag, it’s about the tone and what we create with it. You can do one move, like Carrie Anne Moss doing the bullet time shot or Keanu doing the bullet time shot in the first Matrix. You can do one little gag like Harrison Ford shooting the swordsman in Raiders of the Lost Ark. You can create a sequence like Jackie Chan in Police Story at the mall. If you can create something like that, that people remember, and they’re like “Holy ****, I wanna be a stunt guy” — that’s the overall challenge for us. How do you create those memorable moments that make movies what they are? That’s the goal.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

It had some def moments and moves. Not bad and I was thinking probably better than the nick cage movie would be...
    "The perfect way to do, is to be" ~ Lao Tzu

Moving on

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I consider this the best American action film to come out in years. IMO, this is THE role for Keanu Reeves. I realize that Keanu gets a lot of criticism for his acting, but how many people can successfully headline a good movie?

But character-wise, the guy who really stood out for me in this movie was the Russian crime boss.

Of course it won't win any Academy Awards. How many action movies do? And besides, plenty of Academy Award-winning movies I've seen are some boring ****, well-made or not. For me, the mark of a good movie is how well I'm entertained by it, not by how much status or pretense is attached to it.

Dayum. I need to upgrade my iPhone.

John Wick director shoots epic snowball fight entirely on iPhone
    BY BUSTER HEIN • 1:20 PM, DECEMBER 2, 2019

Our snowball fights were never this amazing.
    Photo: Apple

David Leitch, the visionary director behind John Wick and Deadpool 2, teamed up with Apple for the latest “Shot on iPhone” ad that takes snowball fights to an all-new level.
    The 90-second ad, titled Snowbrawl, follows a young girl who teams up with her friends in a sprawling snowball fight against her older brother and his cronies. Packed with tons of action stunts and gorgeous slow-mo shots you wouldn’t expect to be shot on a phone, the new ad will have you hyped to shoot your own winter videos.
    Prepare to be blown away:

THREADS
    John Wick
    Deadpool 2
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I'm evolving this to the Wick World master thread

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Non-‘Continental’ TV Show & Anime John Wick

John Wick TV show, Chad Stahelski
    ‘John Wick’: Chad Stahelski Says A More Cinematic, Non-‘Continental’ TV Show Is In The Works, As Is An Anime Project
    Rodrigo Perez November 9, 2023 10:26 am News, Television

“John Wick” fans should note while “John Wick 5” is on hold until filmmaker Chad Stahelski and Keanu Reeves can crack a new story (more on that soon), that doesn’t mean “John Wick” the franchise is staying idle. As the mythology grows and world-building evolves, there’s still potential to do so much more. Stahelski recently joined Mike DeAngelo for an episode of The Discourse podcast— that full interview soon— and during the discussion, after talking about the possibilities of “John Wick 5,” Stahelski opened up to even more ‘Wick’-verse content in the works.

Yes, there was a recent prequel show, “The Continental,” but Stahelski wasn’t very involved in that series. Instead, he revealed he’s getting much more hands-on with another, totally separate ‘John Wick’ TV series spin-off that he is developing, that is not only trying to bridge cinema and TV and include more action but expands the characters and worldbuilding of the “John Wick” universe.

In the free-flowing conversation, our Discourse host said the audience hasn’t met the High Table yet and that would be something fun to see. Stahelski countered with the idea that you must be careful with revealing too much as it could fall into cliches he and his team dislike. “‘Austin Powers’ mocked it so well,” he said of the idea. “An actual table with the stereotypes tropes of evil from different ethnicities from all over the world. We’re never going to show the whole High Table; we’ll show the representatives, but we’ll always keep some of that [mystery].”

Through that conversation, Stahelski revealed there is much more ‘John Wick’-verse content in the works. “And now that we’ve got… Lionsgate is having us develop the ‘John Wick’ TV show, so we thought we could explore The High Table in that a little bit,” he revealed.

Wait, yet another series. Is that separate from “The Continental? “Yeah, that’s completely separate,” Stahelski said and then pointed to newer characters from “John Wick: Chapter 4” that could potentially be explored.

“Yeah, I love Donnie [Yen], I love Rina [Sawayama], love the Tracker (Shamier Anderson), and the TV show and the ancillaries will give us a chance to expand the kind of fun world we’ve created, and it doesn’t have to be John Wick, the character specific, you know what I mean so that we can explore all that stuff,” he said.”

“And I think TV is a better format for that, I think because people can jump into the backgrounds, you don’t have to spend so much time with the first act set up and all that,” he continued.

The filmmaker also revealed a “John Wick” anime project is in the works, and it also sounds like it could be a TV series. “So we’re really looking forward to that; we’re really excited about it because we’re doing that and a Japanese anime because I love Japanese anime so much,” he explained. “So to create all the cool stories that anime could achieve better than we could and the TV show to expand our world, we’ll still get our fix, you know what I mean? And we’ll still have all the fun.”

“Cause I think, for TV especially, world-building and action, those two have stayed pretty separate,” he explained. “But to try and combine them and give fans [both]? Look, I love the [TV] slow-burn too, but after six episodes, I would like something to happen in my TV shows, you know? So, to try and bring that to TV, what we do with features would be really exciting,”

So, how much input did he have into the recent “The Continental” series? Not that much, to be honest, he admitted, and it sounds like part of the reason he wants to create his own show.

“We were consulted a little bit to bring that particular creative team to show them the world that I was creating; it was very early in ‘John Wick 4,’ so we showed them some of our concepts,” Stahelski said. “And then, honestly? [My team and I] had very, very, very little to do with it other than helping that creative team look inside our little world, and we gave them a little tour of how we do things, and then they took it and made it their own so that was a separate creative team.”

What is the formula for what John Wick is exactly, and what makes it special? Stahelski says it’s the people involved.

“You try and write it down on paper what the sauce is, and it’s the people. I don’t know how else you explain it. And that’s why franchises change because the people change, the directors change, and the crew changes; I mean, how would you expect it not to change? But we’ve created a [static] creative hub of people who get it, and we all love the same thing.”

“I think the main secret of ‘John Wick’ is they’re not meant to be movies,” he admitted, expounding on how the franchise gets more fantastical, but that’s ok and the point. “I think that’s some of the critiques that the films don’t get. They’re meant to be love letters to things that—yes, we know it’s Bugs Bunny, it’s supposed to be ‘Lord of The Rings,’ it’s fantasy. Like, are you really going to question me about the existence of orcs, magic swords, or rope that unties itself and invisibility cloaks ? Yes, ‘John Wick’ has that too. The funny thing is bulletproof suits do exist. We’re doing a campfire tale. We’re a modern-day fantasy, so it’s supposed to be fun, and it’s supposed to be a little nutty.”

Fingers crossed, we’ll get some concrete details on both series in the upcoming months. Stay tuned for much more from this interview.
    John-Wick
    The-Continental-John-Wick-TV-show
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips