Thread: Fight Church

Fight Church

Follow the link for a trailer vid.
    'Fight Church' Documentary Features Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) In Evangelical Christianity
    Posted: 06/18/2012 1:01 pm Updated: 06/18/2012 3:01 pm

A new documentary called 'Fight Church' showcases Christians who, according to Gawker, like to "pummel each other in the name of Jesus."

The documentary, which is still in production, focuses on the unusual presence of Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) within Evangelical Christianity and explores the inherent tension of such a violent practice inside the church.

The Fight Church trailer above offers up some choice quotes such as: "The greatest examples in scripture of Jesus is as a fighter, that is the kind of Jesus that I would want to serve."; "My hope is that through the fight I can create a relationship with the person I am fighting and extend Christ to him."; "I'm gonna go in there and rip this kid's head off."; and the ultimate question: "Can you love your neighbor as yourself and at the same time knee him in the face as hard as you can?"

The Fight Church Facebook page describes the documentary as "following several pastors and popular fighters in their quest to reconcile their faith with a sport that many consider violent and barbaric."

The film is being directed by Academy Award winner Daniel Junge and Bryan Storkel, and produced by Film Harvest.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I assume they teach the use of the whip ?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

bah - after the Templars, it's all just pusyfooting;

besides, the greatest violence ever done in Jesus' name was clearly the Christian Rock movement and bands like Striper...

It's Stryper, with a Y

‘Fight Church’ Documentary to Examine Christianity in Mixed Martial Arts
    By Derek Ciapala | Yahoo! Contributor Network – 17 hours ago

Have you ever wondered how a mixed martial artist could thank God after a fight? Or have you ever found it a little strange that an athlete could enter the cage adorned from head to toe in Christian t-shirts and hats just as he or she is preparing to fight another human being?

Those are the questions that the makers of "Fight Church" are addressing. The movie's co-director, Daniel Junge, decided to take a look at how MMA and Christianity mix after "The Hammer" writer/producers Eben Kostbar and Joe McKelheer pitched the idea to him.

"I learned of this subject through Joe and Eben, who just finished a film called 'The Hammer,' which is a narrative MMA film," Junge said. "In the process of making that film, they ran into a pastor, Paul Burress, who helped them out a lot with the MMA scenes and by donating both time resources to the project. He is a former fighter himself, not in the UFC, but in the early days of MMA."

"I've been nominated for two Oscars and recently won one for my film 'Saving Face,'" Junge said. "I get a lot of friends saying, 'You should do a film on X, Y, or Z,' and invariably it's not very interesting. But Joe and Eben said, 'We know this guy who is a preacher - he's a pastor, and he teaches mixed martial arts in his church. Do you think that's interesting?' And I said, 'Well, yeah, of course that sounds great.' So our first shoot was there in Rochester with Paul, and we shot with a lot of different subjects around the country who are in this world that is a confluence between Christianity and mixed martial arts."

Burress's story was particularly appealing to Junge and his crew because the pastor has been able to not only maintain a Christian lifestyle while taking part in the MMA world but also grow his faith in the process.

"I was filming 'The Hammer,' and Paul was such a huge support," Kostbar said. "He's such a nice guy who has this separate lifestyle with his fighting, and then he mentioned that he had this church. And it was just interesting, not only because he lives in both worlds as a fighter and he trains fighters and being strong in his faith, but he is also such a nice, genuine guy. I came to this with some cynicism for sure, about whether these two worlds do overlap and whether they are appropriate to overlap. Meeting Paul - I knew we had to film with Paul because he's such an earnest and likable guy, and he fully believes that the two worlds can co-exist."

Burress was the first person that the "Fight Church" crew filmed, but he hasn't been the only one. Junge and his team have traveled across the country and filmed fighters such as UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson and middleweight Jared Hamman. The crew plans to film at least 20 fighters and pastors, while following three or four of them over a period of time in hopes of finding out how well they live out their answers to questions about faith and MMA.

"We're not coming with a strong point of view whether this is right or wrong," Junge said. "We want viewers to come to their own conclusions, but we want to tell an intimate story with the people in this world and let viewers decide how they feel about it."

Junge and Kostbar both look at this film as an opportunity to investigate a contentious topic that few people have addressed. They want to understand how fighters can enter an MMA cage and do everything in their power to knock someone out or submit them. It's important for them to look at how fighters have dealt with this on a daily basis. It's also important that people don't expect "Fight Church" to be a movie filmed from a Christian perspective. For Junge, it's about the issues, not the actual religion.

"To be frank, the film isn't being made for Christians, nor is it being made for atheists or agnostics," Junge said. "The film is for anyone who is intrigued by these seemingly contradictory worlds overlapping and coming to their own conclusions about how they feel about it."

Look for the movie to complete filming in late 2012. You can find out more about "Fight Church" on the film's Facebook page or on Twitter @FightChurchFilm.
    This could find a place on our Martial Arts & Religion thread eventually.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Debuts at the Independent Film Festival Boston

Babson grads find match made in Heaven: Christianity & Mixed Martial Arts
    By admin | Published: April 9, 2014

Babson College MBA alumni Chris LeSchack, Paul Proctor, Maxwell Chang, and A**** Ghevaria shared executive producer duties for a new film called “Fight Church” that debuts April 24-26 at the Independent Film Festival Boston. Fight Church asks the question: “Can you really love your neighbor as yourself and then punch him in the face?” It is a feature documentary about the confluence of Christianity and Mixed Martial Arts.

Boston showings: Thursday, April 24 7:45pm Somerville Theatre; Saturday, April 26 6:30pm Somerville Theatre

Fight Church was produced in association with iMogul, a crowdsourcing and investment platform which connects screenwriters and independent film producers with investors.
    The real question is 'Can you really punch your neighbor in the face as yourself?"
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

On iTunes, On Demand and Digital HD

Bryan Storkel
    ENTERTAINMENT 09.16.14
    Jesus Said Knock You Out: In ‘Fight Church’ Christians Beat Thy Neighbor
    The first rule of Fight Church is that if god-fearing Christians beat each other into a bloody pulp, they still praise the Lord in Sunday mass.

The pastor and his congregants sat around the TV and watched as fists began to fly and blood began to splatter. Two men, literally in a cage, were attacking each other while the pastor and his friends cheered. At one point the stronger one was holding down his opponent and repeatedly smashing his fist into the other guy’s face. By the time a winner was proclaimed, his opponent was laying on the ground, bloodied, his face battered and swollen, as the room full of churchgoers shouted and high-fived each other.

The first time I ever watched Mixed Martial Arts was on television at a church-sponsored fight night party that my brother-in-law had invited me to while I was visiting family in Michigan.

Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) is a form of fighting that has become increasingly popular over the past decade. It is likely the fastest growing sport in America. A simple description of MMA is that it is a combat sport that combines many different styles of fighting, or martial arts, into one event. Participants use these fighting techniques to force their opponent to give up (and tap-out) or better yet, just knock him out cold.

When I first heard about the sport, I assumed that it was a “no holds barred” cage match where pretty much anything goes. This was my impression walking into that monthly church fight night. The church members explained to me that this was not the case. There were rules. And we were not going to watch somebody die that night.

I sat through the first two or three fights, but I couldn’t stick with it. There was too much blood for my liking and in spite of the organized structure and rules, it still seemed a bit too barbaric for me. It wasn’t long before I joined the wives and children in the kitchen, and then spent the next couple hours devouring the spread of homemade meatballs and assorted cheeses.

I left that night with a strong impression of MMA. It was a violent and barbaric sport and I wanted nothing to do with it.

Fast-forward five years. I was touring the film festival circuit with my latest film, Holy Rollers: The True Story of Card Counting Christians. The film features a group of pastors who had formed a card-counting team and won millions in Vegas.

Some refer to the Book of Revelation, which they say depicts Jesus as a bloodied warrior on a horse, coming to bring judgment on the world.

It was at a festival in Denver that Daniel Junge walked up to me and introduced himself. He told me he was beginning work on a new project about cage-fighting pastors and that we should talk. A week or so later he called me to ask if I wanted to direct Fight Church with him.

My instant reaction was, “No thanks, I’m not interested in fighting pastors or even fighting in general.” I’d had my fill that night in Michigan. I knew I couldn’t stomach the fighting and I didn’t see how a pastor could co-exist in both worlds. Gambling pastors were one thing, but fighting pastors? How could someone actively preach the love of Jesus while promoting such a violent activity?

In spite of this, I was eager to dive into another film, and it didn’t take long for me to agree to the project.

Two and a half years later, here we are. Our film is officially releasing today and available to the world to watch and discuss. I’ve spent almost three years with cage-fighting pastors (in person and in my edit bay) and in the process I have learned a great deal and arrived at some new conclusions.

First and foremost, I still don’t like fighting. I don’t enjoy watching it. Regardless of the morality of the sport, I’m just not a fan.

However, even though my personal opinion of the sport hasn’t changed, I’ve come to the realization that I no longer have a moral issue with fighting. If two consenting adults want to enter a cage and fight each other for sport, then there is no right or wrong, good or bad, in my opinion. It is not as if they are beating people up on the street. Both of these men have trained for this fight for months and they both know what they are getting into.

I also don’t think that it conflicts with their faith per se. There was not a single Bible verse quoted to me, for or against MMA, that I believe applies to this situation.

From what I can tell, pretty much any verse in the Bible that talks about fighting is talking about situations of war, or enemies, or someone attacking you. I think using the Bible to back up your love or hate for a sport is kind of silly. No one is quoting Bible verses to explain why they play tennis or enjoy a good game of golf. This should be no different. On the other hand, I do understand that they find themselves compelled to justify what they do more than a Christian tennis player would, due to the controversial nature of what they’re doing.

I think there is actually a deeper issue here. I have discovered that many Christian fighters actually seem to have shaped their basic concept of Christianity around their love for fighting. Because they frequently use the Bible to relate fighting and Christianity, many of them have formed a very bold picture of who Jesus was. Some of them have said that Jesus was a fighter because he told Peter to sell his cloak and buy a sword (Luke 22:36). Some refer to the Book of Revelation, which they say depicts Jesus as a bloodied warrior on a horse, coming to bring judgment on the world.

I personally don’t believe that Jesus was a fighter, and I have a hard time linking anything in Jesus’ life and ministry with any sport or violence. He loved children. He healed the sick. He talked about turning the other cheek. He was always looking out for the underdog and the outcast. I don’t see a warrior or a fighter at all.

In spite of all this, I have noticed some positive aspects to fighting. I’ve seen how much training goes into it and I now recognize it as a true sport. The amount of discipline and perseverance that it takes to train for a fight is incredible. Most fighters only take a few fights a year. They train for months for just one fight. And that’s four hours a day in the gym, five-to-six days a week. Not to mention the diet to cut weight while still building muscle. I’ve also seen the relationships that are built out of the training. I’d love to train for a fight…and then run out the door the night of the event.

The thing that attracted me to this project in the first place was the idea of Christianity and fighting, two things that seemingly don’t fit, being paired together. These pastors are going against the traditions of the church and trying something different. Ever since I was young, I’ve been taught that there is one right way, and I’ve always felt a little guilty when I started to question the “truth.” These pastors are questioning traditional “truths” and that has ruffled some feathers because it’s something that seems wrong on the surface.

As I’ve attended film festival screenings of Fight Church over the past few months, I’ve been somewhat concerned with how quickly people will often jump on the bandwagon of the fighting pastors and agree with their justifications and methodologies. At times, I’ve wondered if we are helping feed something that I don’t completely agree with. My hope with this film is that people will join the discussion and not just retain their preconceived notions. That everyone who watches it will leave with new ideas and continue thinking about and discussing the concepts of the film for some time to come.

As for myself, I think I’ve had my share of fighting pastors for awhile. And I won’t be accepting invitations to a church fight night anytime soon.

Fight Church is available now on iTunes, On Demand and Digital HD.
    Well, I do like the Book of Revelation....
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips