Thread: When you should branch out of the martial art system you have learnt?

When you should branch out of the martial art system you have learnt?

The question is on why. Be cautious, this topic of discussion can be explosive.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong

The sole reason I took up MA as a kid was to learn to fight better. It wasn't about systems or upholding a particular school. All I knew about MA were judo and karate; I wasn't aware of styles or substyles. If I never had the curiosity to look beyond my systems(s), I never would have gotten into CMA, or gained the experiences I have overall. Ironically, it was my Kenpo karate teacher who taught his students to be open to and explore other systems. Not to "collect styles" but to gain experiences and find what's best for yourself.

Most people who have an immediate need to learn MA have no ideas or plans to 'carry on a system' or be bound by it. Some may say otherwise, but MA's original purpose was to prevail or at least have an edge in fighting or combat. All other benefits were and are secondary to that. However, these other benefits can be crucial to helping maintain your interest and dedication as the decades roll by.

For many, the 'one style only for life' is perfect. Very few people train even one MA for a lifetime, let alone investigate more than one. But systems were created by people. What was enough for some people in their situation is not enough for others in different times or places. I would not have found my present core system if I hadn't ever looked outside of what I started in. All your experiences add up to who you are as a MAist. If you can make something work for you, and can make it part of your arsenal, why nitpick about where it comes from? Being style-centric can turn you into a slave rather than being free in your responses.

That said, I do believe it's important to have a 'base' or 'core' MA system. If you're like me, you may find that that core system is not the first MA system you trained in.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 10-18-2014 at 10:12 AM.

When you are looking for something that isn't offered in the style you learned.
    No style has it all. It's natural to want to look at new stuff too.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I would say add on.

We include or learn a bit a time within a system or plus something outside of a system.

It is more of integration of more stuff.

Branching out would mean all out in one time.

Well more of in sort of and not so much out.

To help the original topic of discussion I started, branch out here means to be the founder of a new system. So why do you want to do so?

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLau View Post
    To help the original topic of discussion I started, branch out here means to be the founder of a new system. So why do you want to do so?

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong
    Ah, well that wasn't made clear first time around.
    I am sure the reasons are many.

Many KungFu Sijo are what they are for many reasons.
    Some of them didn't even seek the title or work, but were asked for it or there by way of serendipity.
    I'm not interested in creating or reforming a style and calling myself founder.

Some style founders have no choice as they are good at what they do, but have inherited nothing from anyone else. Case in point, Bruce Lee and his Jun Fan Kung Fu. he had no style to claim, so he made his own as a system of basics drawn from typical TCMA and then he would take it next level by way of his concept of the way of the intercepting fist.

Another reason could be that you learn several things and hybridize them into one system that you categorize, organize and teach. For instance, something like Krav Maga which is a hybrid art of self defense.

There's probably other reasons too and also as likely that there are less than meritorious reasons for people to do so such as satisfying their person desire to be seen as and called "master" or for the money, etc. these reasons exist as well even though they are not good reasons.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I would never directly advice someone NOT to branch out, but it does raise some questions as to how impatient that person might be. Maybe I'm wrong, but I like to believe that most styles if patient enough will satisfy most, if not all, aspects of fighting, self-defense, and self cultivation. If you are impatient then you will most likely never reach your goal.

I guess one just has to ask himself why he feels the NEED to branch out.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLau View Post

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong
    whatever you practice or take in, it takes time to integrate and refine.

A style is a convenient way to group some core practices. Each individual will take in and mold whatever thruout his life time.

A style happened in several generations or longer to mold and define.

IF something is "distinct" enough over time, the historian will group practitioners and their practices into a new style.

Let me use music as an example.

Some celtic/irish music combined with new life on Kentucky mountains, some jazz, over time we call the new style blue grass music as sub genre of American country music.

etc etc etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYTvj9Z_rlo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVpHOrk328s

1 Bill Monroe is the "father" or first representative to popularize. The music actually started with latter half of 19th century. Actually took of post WWW II in 1940s.

2 Allison Krauss is the present representative.

3 Man of constant sorrow is the representative tune.

4 A young band from Jersey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB8UTheTR7s

They covered old tunes and compiled new one.

Blue grass music any one ?

Hmm, thanks gentlemen for your good input. I figure that there are good reasons and not good ones for a student to branch out. A good reason is that up a certain point in time, he regards that the theories and techniques he is training are quite different from what he has learnt from. So he now gives the system a new name. Teaching it to other people will be an additional reason in order not to confuse the martial art world.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by SKM View Post
    I do not think it is necessarily a need. I think it has more to do with interest and opportunity. I looked at your profile and you list four different training styles that you claim to do. Is that branching out or are you actually branching in, feeding your energy core with things that interest and inspire you to train harder?
    Yes, this is true. Unfortunately, I have trained in multiple styles due to often relocating and training in what was available in a given location rather than due to the feeling of a style lacking an aspect of training. With that said, I definitely learned something interesting and unique from each style I was involved in.