Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu Yoga

Shooting in Dubai

Jackie Chan’s ‘Kung Fu Yoga’ Begins Shooting in Dubai

Top Photo Corporation/REX Shutterstock
    September 28, 2015 | 08:00AM PT
    Naman Ramachandran

LONDON — Director Stanley Tong has commenced principal photography at Dubai locations on “Kung Fu Yoga.” The film, starring Jackie Chan, is the first under the China-India co-production agreement that was signed in September 2014.

Filming will conclude on Oct. 30 and is expected to shoot at Indian locations at a later schedule.

The film is a co-production between China’s Taihe Entertainment and Shinework Media, and India’s Viacom 18.

UAE production services company AlKatraz Productions is handling the Dubai shoot logistics and the film has the support of the Dubai Film and TV Commission. Some 100 international crew members as well as local crews are involved in the production that will feature several car chases.

“We are greatly looking forward to filming parts of ‘Kung Fu Yoga’ in Dubai, and the locations we have selected perfectly complement the scenes we are shooting here,” Tong said. “Dubai’s iconic skyscrapers and attractions are recognized around the world, and we are excited to work closely with Dubai Film and TV Commission to ensure an enjoyable and successful filming time in Dubai.”

“We are very excited to welcome Jackie Chan and the team to Dubai,” Jamal Al Sharif, chairman of Dubai Film and TV Commission said. “The UAE is becoming an increasingly popular destination for Hollywood and Bollywood productions, and the filming of ‘Kung Fu Yoga’ in Dubai is another major boost for our film industry.”

Justin Lin’s “Star Trek Beyond” is another high profile international production that will shoot soon in the United Arab Emirates.

Viacom 18 is a joint venture between U.S. media conglomerate Viacom and India’s Network 18 Group. Taihe runs several film, television and music production companies in China. Shinework produces world cinema programs for the China Movie Channel and plays an assisting role for the State Administration of Press, Publication, Radio, Film & Television and the Film Bureau to promote international cultural communication between China and the world.
    I have high hopes for this project. I think Jackie could be an excellent Bollywood dancer.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

More K-pop

EXO Update: EXO Member Lay To Visit India For ‘Kung Fu Yoga’; Former EXO Member Tao and SM Entertainment Rift Rolling!
    Adelyn Torralba | Sep 28, 2015 12:45 AM EDT

SM Entertainment's Chinese-South Korean boy band EXO member Lay is reportedly selected as a cast member in the upcoming film "Kung Fu Yoga" with Jackie and Tiger Shroff. (Photo : Lay Fanclub)

There had been a lot of controversies about EXO lately, especially about members' leaving the said popular Kpop boy band. Rumors has it that apart from Luhan, Tao and Kris who already left the group, Chen and Lay is planning to follow their footsteps on parting ways with the Chinese-South Korean boy band EXO; however, Lay's agency already slammed the rumors and Chen has yet to give his official announcement.

Meanwhile, it can be noted that former EXO member Tao filed contract nullification lawsuit against SM Entertainment last month at the Seoul Central Court. Filing a lawsuit against SM was a path that he needs to do in order to terminate his contract and be released from the said agency; however, SM Entertainment filed a countersue the former EXO member and states that Tao is still under SM Entertainment when he released his solo album, Movie News Guide reported.

SM Entertainment's remarks led Huang Z. TAO Studio, Tao's own studio, to release their own official statement to defend the Chinese singer. It was revealed that SM Entertainment's statement contains fabricated information. Huang Z. TAO Studio claims that SM Entertainment discriminated their Chinese celebrities over their Korean talents, giving severe physical and mental stress to the former EXO member. Tao's studio also claims that the former EXO member sustained injuries during his celebrity promotions and activities for EXO. Tao made his actions by bringing up all these issues and his opinions to the agency but SM Entertainment didn't take any action and even delayed Tao's treatment, Allkpop revealed.

Tao's fight against SM Entertainment is still ongoing, and let's just wait what will happen next to this rift between the former EXO member and his former agency.

On other EXO news, Lay, born as Zhang Yixing, will reportedly visit India for the filming of "Kung Fu Yoga." It is said that the EXO-M member, sub-group of EXO, will share screen space with actors' Jackie Chan and Tiger Schroff. There's no information yet as to what character Lay will play, but the movie is said to be about the Chinese martial art Kung Fu and Indian's Yoga.

Given the YouTube vid, I wouldn't put too much credence in this article.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Sonu Sood & Dubai

Hong actor and director, Jackie Chan. Getty Images
    Jackie Chan spotted on Kung Fu Yoga set at Atlantis, The Palm
    Chris Newbould
    September 30, 2015 Updated: September 30, 2015 02:31 PM

It’s been one of the worst-kept secrets in Dubai. We’ve known Jackie Chan was heading to the city to shoot his latest movie, Kung Fu Yoga, for more a month, and on Sunday Dubai Film and TV Commission finally confirmed it.

The 61-year-old martial arts star arrived in the country about a week ago but there was no word on the locations that would be used. Dubai Film and Television Commission vaguely alluded to some “landmarks” featuring in key scenes, while insiders hinted at a car chase on The Boulevard.

Other than that, details have been kept tightly under wraps – unless you are staying at the Atlantis The Palm Resort. A letter distributed to guests at the weekend said: “We are very excited to be taking part in the filming of an epic new Kung Fu movie set for release in 2016. We would therefore like to warn you that filming will take place throughout the resort from September 28 to October 2015.

“Whilst the majority of the resort will be unaffected, we have put in place a number of temporary measures in order to minimise the disruption to your Atlantis experience. We thank you for your patience and we invite you to take this opportunity to watch filming take place.”

The letter ended with: “Please do not be alarmed during the Kung Fu fight scenes as this is part of the production.”

Perhaps management were reminded of the immortal words of Carl Douglas, who famously noted in his song Kung Fu Fighting: “Those kicks were fast as lightning. In fact, it was a little bit frightening.”

On Monday afternoon, Chan and the movie’s cast and crew, armed with an array of boom mics, lights and cameras, were in Atlantis filming in a roped-off, heavily secured area in front of the hotel’s iconic East Tower aquarium.

The crew was clearly trying to operate in as subtle a manner as a full-scale film production with an international superstar can – which isn’t very. About 30-40 technical crew members, a mix of Chinese workers and others from the UAE industry, mingled while wardrobe assistants wheeled rails of clothes (mostly shirts and suits) around the set.

A group of seven extras sat by a wall waiting for their moment in the limelight, while Chan, chatted amiably with cast and crew in a manner befitting a man who has steadfastly refused to play villains throughout his career.

It’s a common tactic for big movies to use pseudonyms or aliases to fool the public, and on this occasion notices advised passers-by of a promotional shoot for [Atlantis parent company] Kerzner International, avoiding any mention of Chan, the movie or even local producers Alkatraz Productions.

Rarely have so many “no photography” signs been seen in one place. They were on walls, on crowd barriers, on T-shirts and on high-visibility vests. Some of the crew even had sheets of A4 paper with the words “no camera” printed on them pinned them to their clothes, and the abundant security personnel were taking the rule very seriously indeed.

It seems the part of the memo about guests being welcome to watch filming hadn’t been shared with the guards – passers-by who dawdled too long were ushered into a lift in an adjacent corridor, or back in the direction from whence they had come, even though much of the filming took place behind a screen. Even without the screen getting a decent view through the massed ranks of film crew, security and equipment was no easy task.

We spent two days keeping tabs on the filming, and while the far from ideal conditions didn’t allow us to gather too much in the way of plot spoilers, here’s what we do know.

There will be a major fight in front of the aquarium, featuring Chan, his adversaries and a small briefcase that seems to be the cause of the dispute. The complex scene took hours to film and resulted in a spontaneous round of applause on the set when it finally wrapped.

Chan ends up with the briefcase, and attempts to pass it on to an unknown female co-star. Katrina Kaif, who was rumoured to have a role in the movie, has been removed from its IMDB listing and is filming Baar Baar Dekho in Glasgow, Scotland.

The characters then make their way down the East Tower corridor to the lobby, where a second crew had set up a huge camera jib, so expect some sweeping aerial shots of the fountain and cast.

As for the resort guests caught up in the filming, few seemed to be overawed by the star in their midst or impressed that a major film was being made in the vicinity.

Filipina Jennifer was more annoyed that she couldn’t get through a security cordon to meet her friend.

And a British guest told us: “It doesn’t really look like my sort of film. But my son-in-law’s a huge Jackie Chan fan so he’ll be pleased when we get home.”

Although a few youngsters had heard that Chan was around and tried – unsuccessfully – to snap shots of their hero, the response of most people was best described as mild intrigue.

cnewbould@thenational.ae

Sonu Sood to star opposite Jackie Chan in Hollywood film 'Kung Fu Yoga'
    PTI|30 Sep, 2015, 05.06PM IST

Actor Sonu Sood will be sharing the screen space with action star Jackie Chan in Hollywood film "Kung Fu Yoga", directed by Stanley Tong.

MUMBAI: Actor Sonu Sood will be sharing the screen space with action star Jackie Chan in Hollywood film "Kung Fu Yoga", directed by Stanley Tong.

"Kung Fu Yoga", an out-and-out action movie, will be shot in Dubai, Beijing and India.

Congratulating Sonu for his new venture, his "Happy New Year" director Farah Khan tweeted, "So happy for Jackie Chan who is starring with my friend @SonuSood in " Kung fu yoga"!! Truly Karate meets parathe!!"

The "Dabangg" actor, who is a fitness freak, replied, "Hahaha Farah. Don't be surprised if he gets addicted to paranthe... Then you have to make for us. Get ready."

Sonu started his career in movies with Tamil film "Kallazhagar" followed by his debut in Bollywood as Bhagat Singh in "Shaheed-E-Azam", which released in 2002 with two other movies on the freedom fighter "23rd March 1931: Shaheed" and "The Legend of Bhagat Singh".

The "Gabbar is Back" star earned recognition as Abhishek Bachchan's brother in Mani Ratnam's "Yuva" in 2004 and in "Aashiq Banaya Aapne" in 2005.
    wait...Karate meets parathe?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Ileana D’Cruz

Ileana D’Cruz cast opposite Jackie Chan in 'Kung Fu Yoga'
    Friday, 2 October 2015 - 6:15am IST | Place: Mumbai | Agency: dna | From the print edition
    Subhash K Jha

The actress is currently shooting in Dubai with the international star

The success of Barfi! and Main Tera Hero did nothing much for leading lady Ileana D’Cruz’s career in Bollywood. Whatever advantage she gained through the two films, was lost with her Saif Ali Khan-starrer Happy Ending.

Undeterred, Ileana has now bagged a role opposite Asia’s biggest action star Jackie Chan and and has flown to Dubai to shoot the film even as you read this. The project Kung Fu Yoga is directed by Stanley Tong, who earlier cast Mallika Sherawat with Chan in The Myth, where Ms Sherawat had a blink-and-miss role. Ileana has a lot more to do in Kung Fu Yoga, including some very cool stunts that Chan is personally supervising.

Says a source, “Ileana’s role in the movie is lengthier than Mallika’s in The Myth. She will be seen throughout the film.” Sonu Sood plays the main villain in the movie (and not a “parallel lead”, as Sood’s PR machinery would want us to believe). The makers are still on the lookout for a parallel lead with Jackie Chan. Hrithik Roshan had agreed, but opted out at the last minute.
    Mallika did NOT have a 'blink-and-miss' role in The Myth. She was the best thing in that film.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

There's a lot of news on the shoot in Dubai now.

Spotted: Jackie Chan in a traditional Arabic Kandura in Dubai!
    Published October 8th, 2015 - 15:08 GMT via SyndiGate.info

Action film star Jackie Chan got a taste of the popular camel racing while in town to shoot his latest Indian-Chinese co-production "Kung Fu Yoga." (Instagram)

Jackie Chan, who is currently shooting for his upcoming movie ‘Kung Fu Yoga’ in UAE, took time out of his busy schedule to enjoy camel racing.

Al Namoos, the camel racing site posted a picture on their Instagram site of Chan dressed in traditional Arabic attire.

Photo: Instagram

Why is Ileana Silent About Jackie Chan's Film? October 07 , 2015 | UPDATED 11:37 IST
    Ileana may not be busy shooting in India, but she is surely sizzling up things in Dubai. The dusky beauty is shooting for Jackie Chan film titled Kung Fu Yoga.

Ileana D'Cruz does not like to talk about her films till they are ready for the marquee.

The 'Barfi!' (2012) and 'Main Tera Hero' (2014) actress seems to be following the self-imposed diktat with her next project too.

The Kung Fu Yoga also stars Sonu Sood and his picture with Jackie Chan was out some time back.

The film is a suspense thriller which is set for release in 2106.
    Note to self - check out Barfi!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Greetings,

Wonder bras can be quite amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPvxuCGCsHU

mickey

I saw Barfi!

Barfi! delivered everything I expect from a good Bollywood film, except for a big dance number (there was a small one, but it doesn't really count). Ileana was stunning in it. Plus Barfi! starred Priyanka Chopra, playing way against type as an autistic woman and nailing it. Priyanka is a former Miss World and currently has the lead role in a TV show I've been enjoying, Quantico.

But back to Ileana, I do hope the rumors are true and she's in this.
    SEPTEMBER 25, 2015
    THE OTHER SIDE OF ILEANA D’CRUZ
    Text by Shashi Baliga. Photographs by Rohan Shrestha. Styling by Nisha Jhangiani. Make-up and hair by Daniel Bauer, Artist Factory India
    There are two versions of Ileana D’Cruz. Place a camera before her and she sizzles; take it away and she’s a free-spirited beach girl. Verve gets to see a bit of both

There are some life decisions Ileana D’Cruz has arrived at (some the hard way).

1. “It’s my job to be an actress; not to be an entertainer 24/7. I will perform only for the camera. I can’t make a scene to draw attention to myself; I can’t do that crazy ****.”

2. “I’m a very friendly person, but only if I’m sure that you’re okay with it and I’m not intruding into your space. Otherwise, I will not get in there.”

3. “You could be the best person in the world but there’s always someone who’s going to be disappointed in you. You’re always going to rub someone the wrong way whether you like it or not. You can’t please everyone.”

4. “I like to keep things a little private. You lose a little bit of that mystery and beauty if you keep harping on what’s very personal and precious to you.”

I couldn’t say I wasn’t warned.

Taking off her make-up post the photo shoot, Ileana sums it all up with the air of one whose mind will not be swerved: “One thing I’ve always told myself, and one thing I’ve always made sure of, is that I won’t change my individuality just to be a part of the film industry.”

Right, so it’ll have to be on her terms. But when she talks, she compensates that by not hiding behind words or acting coy; what a relief. She clams up only when it comes to the b-for-boyfriend word, so we’ll get to that last. But like most stars, when Ileana says ‘personal life’, what she means, is more specifically, her love life. The rest is open.

Especially her big break in Bollywood, Barfi. Lucky girl, everyone said, to kick off with such a blockbuster of a movie that kept the critics happy and saw her holding her own against Ranbir Kapoor and Priyanka Chopra. Hey, it wasn’t luck, it was all thanks to a lot of work and the story wasn’t all that easy, she insists. When she signed Barfi, she says, “So many people told me, ‘What a stupid choice you’ve made. Great that you’re doing a film with Ranbir, but when there’s Priyanka, what are you going to be doing?’ So, I said, we’ve both got very different roles and I think it all comes together very harmoniously, but they couldn’t buy that.” However, she went with her gut feel and, then, “They all had to shut up.”

But before that victory came what she calls a ‘breaking point’. “Nobody knows this but I had an emotional breakdown right before Barfi released. The intensity, the pressure, and the promotions — it all got to me. I couldn’t function. I felt, oh god, maybe I’ve made a big mistake.” When she saw the movie a week before its release, she cried, not just because it was so moving, but “out of self-pity; who was going to look at me?”

Ileana ran away, right out of the country, to stay with a friend — and switched off her phone. What, she missed all the excitement of the super-success of her Bollywood debut? “I was accessing my mail so I knew what was happening,” she clarifies, “but everyone said I was being really stupid, and maybe I was a coward to run away, but I just couldn’t deal with it.”

Clearly, Ileana does not quite operate like your typically ambitious Hindi film actress. She doesn’t get into the gossip columns too often, she isn’t seen much at film dos or parties; she doesn’t even seem to take her delicate, sharp-featured, golden-skinned beauty too seriously. Quite amazingly, for an actress sitting in front of a room-wide make-up mirror, she’s not checking out her angles or playing with her hair or even looking much in that direction. “I don’t think I’m beautiful or hot. I don’t even think I’m ladylike, though I’m getting there,” she laughs uproariously. “I think I’m goofy and incredibly clumsy. I’ve fallen twice already on the sets when the cameras weren’t rolling. Sometimes I think I’m a boy trapped in a girl’s body!” Some more full-throated laughter.

You won’t see her in too many Page 3 pictures because, when she’s in front of the paparazzi, she says, “A different persona comes over me. I’m not me-me. It feels weird posing like that, but it’s part of the job, so I do it.” She doesn’t mind the dressing up too much because she has stylists to do all the homework for her and pick the right clothes. “But sometimes it’s a pain; all you want to do is wear sweatpants and a big, baggy sweatshirt and go to the movies like that as opposed to wearing high-heeled shoes,” she admits. Still, the job demands it, so Ms Professional buckles down and does it.

Even if she doesn’t quite understand fashion (her assessment, not mine) and the pronouncements of the fashion police bewilder her. “They’ll be going, ‘Oh my god, that was gorgeous; it’s such an amazing fashion statement,’ and I’m looking at the girl and thinking, she doesn’t look good, she looked better in the simple outfit she was wearing earlier. Maybe I’m dumb but I don’t get that stuff. I’ve committed lots of fashion sins and hopefully they’ve forgiven me,” she giggles.

She doesn’t care much for the party circuit, either. She grew up in Goa; she’s more an outdoorsy beach girl than a party girl. She has never, repeat never, stepped into any of the clubs in Goa. But in Mumbai and for work, she makes some allowances. “I can do the social networking because it’s a professional requirement but I can’t do the whole party thing,” she declares. “I have an issue with people getting drunk around me; I have to get out of that situation. So I stay for an hour when everyone is sober but the minute everyone’s getting drunk, I’m out.”

Interesting strategy. So how does she deal with the, well, over-friendly types in the film industry, I ask. I think it’s an over-hyped situation,’ she replies, “this over-friendly, casting couch stuff.”

Hang on, I didn’t quite say casting couch, I butt in, but she argues, “Yeah, but it’s all varying degrees of the same thing if we’re talking over-friendliness, isn’t it?” Sure, go on, I say. “It happens if you encourage that kind of behaviour. I make sure people know what their limit is and that they don’t cross that line. I’d rather leave the industry if the norm were to be ‘friendly’. Yes, some people have their fun but it’s mutual. In any case, it happens everywhere. Actually, far worse happens in other industries.”

In fact, the people she’s worked in with in the Hindi film industry have been far from sleazy, she says. Anurag Basu, her Barfi director, is one she’s particularly fond of. “He’s really nice; a big bear brother of a person. He used to tell me, ‘You work so hard…chill, man, go get a life, get a couple of boyfriends!’” Co-star Ranbir Kapoor is another favourite. “I’d read so much about how he was a so-called Casanova, but it’s utter rubbish. He’s an incredibly decent guy and a very intense person. We had some very interesting conversations. He can be goofy too; there were a lot of pranks on sets when he was around.”

Saif Ali Khan, her Happy Ending co-star, is equally, if differently, ‘goofy’ (a word she uses often). To begin with, she decided to give him his space and kept her distance. “But he thought I was being incredibly formal with him and one day, he came up to me and said, (imitating him) ‘Why can’t we just be friends?’ He’s very generous as a person and wants you to have fun on the sets. Half the time he would go, ‘Enough of working, let’s all go out.’ He’s very childlike; in some ways he’s like a child in a man’s body.”

Happy Ending had some happy times for her, even if it bombed at the b-o. It even had a small cameo by Andrew Kneebone, the Australian boyfriend-she-won’t talk-about-to-the-press. She has no problems posting pictures of him on Instagram with gushy captions, she features upfront on his webpage (he’s a photographer); they attend events together. But her lips are zipped when a recorder or press camera is rolling. There’s been much speculation that the big rock she sports is an engagement ring, but say so, and first, she asks in a faux flat tone, “What about my ring?” Then she says, laughing now, but not giving in, “Everyone said it’s a beautiful ring and I agree.”

I let it go. Why would anyone want to push a young, happening actress into marriage or an engagement or talking about either, if she doesn’t want to? Not talking about a boyfriend is one unwritten Bollywood rule Ileana is following; let’s leave her to it.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Viacom 18 out

Viacom 18 Exits China-India Movie ‘Kung Fu Yoga’

Courtesy of F Media
    October 26, 2015 | 05:55AM PT
    Naman Ramachandran
    Patrick Frater
    Asia Bureau Chief

Viacom 18 has ended its participation in Jackie Chan-starring film “Kung Fu Yoga,” which recently began shooting in Dubai.

Reasons for Viacom18’s withdrawal are unclear. “We had every intent to collaborate with ‘Kung Fu Yoga.’ However things didn’t work out as planned,” said Viacom 18 in an emailed statement. “But we are optimistic about more such partnerships in the future.”

The film is directed by Stanley Tong (“Rumble In The Bronx,” “Jackie Chan’s First Strike”) and also stars Sonu Sood, actress Ileana, Hong Kong’s Aarif Rahman and Chinese character actor Zhang Guoli.

The withdrawal means that one of the very few film co-productions involving India and China, has lost its Indian partner. Viacom18 is one of the biggest Bollywood studios, has connections in Indian TV and is also one of the few Indian companies with its own multi-territory distribution structure.

The Chinese production companies Shinework Media and Taihe, did not respond to Variety’s enquiries.

The two countries have long been political rivals and their film industries have been at vastly different stages of development, though recently Chinese and Indian industry regulators have met and agreed to cooperate.

A number of producers have aspired to make a movie that can play in the world’s two most populous nations, but few have even got into production.

In September, Eros International, the powerhouse global distribution and production finance outfit, agreed to partner with China Film Corporation and Shanghai Film Group on “Monk Xuan Zang.” No production date has been announced.

Before that the Indian-originated action comedy “From Chandni Chowk to China” was an embarrassing 2009 flop for veteran producer Ramesh Sippy and Warner Bros. Another, trailed in consumer media since 2010, “Gold Struck,” to be produced by Hong Kong’s Lighthouse Productions, has also seen backers come and go.
    We discussed Chandni-Chowk-goes-to-China here.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Dubai is a wrap.

I should really try to watch something with Sonu Sood soon.

Bollywood actor Sonu Sood, part of the film’s cast, tweeted: “N the Dubai schedule of #kungfuyoga ends. Whole unit in the final shot. Will meet every1 in Beijing. Miss u all.” Screen shot from Sonu Sood's Twitter

Kung Fu Yoga wraps up Dubai shoot, headed to Beijing next

Jessica Hill

November 1, 2015 Updated: November 1, 2015 03:35 PM

The Dubai film shoot of Jackie Chan’s upcoming movie Kung Fu Yoga has wrapped up – in local fashion.

As a parting gift, Dubai Film & TV commission were given a kandura signed by Chan.

Chan had been pictured wearing a kandura during his time in Dubai.

Bollywood actor Sonu Sood, part of the film’s cast, tweeted: “N the Dubai schedule of #kungfuyoga ends. Whole unit in the final shot. Will meet every1 in Beijing. Miss u all.”

Scenes were shot last month in Dubai Marina Walk and Atlantis the Palm, and there was also a car chase in Business Bay.

Kung Fu Yoga reunites 61- year-old martial arts star Chan with director Stanley Tong, who was behind Rumble in the Bronx. Also appearing are EXO’s Lay and rising Hong Kong star Li Zhiting.

The film had originally been a joint venture between two Chinese production companies, Taihe Entertainment Corp and Shinework Media, and the US-Indian studio Viacom 18. Last Sunday’s Wall Street Journal reported that Viacom 18 had pulled out.

But Chan reassured the *public on Thursday: “Many companies are competing to dip their toes into this movie. The *filming will not stop.”

artslife@thenational.ae
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Picked up by Golden Network

AFM: Golden Network Kicks Off With Jackie Chan Movie Pair
    NOVEMBER 4, 2015 | 06:59AM PT
    Patrick Frater
    Asia Bureau Chief

Hong Kong’s Golden Network has picked up international rights to the next two independent films starring Jackie Chan.

It will handle $65 million action adventure “Kung Fu Yoga,” which is now in production under the direction of Stanley Tong, and the previously announced action comedy “Railroad Tigers.”

Chan, who alternates between studio and independent productions, remains a potent brand both in Chinese markets and in international territories. His last indie pictures, “Skiptrace” and “Dragon Blade,” carried budgets estimated at $32 million and $65 million, respectively, and were widely sold. “Dragon Blade” grossed $117 million in China in a Chinese New Year release.

Starring Chan, India’s Sonu Sood, Hong Kong’s Aarif Rahman, K-pop star Lay, and China’s Zhang Yi Xing and Miya Muqi, “Kung Fu Yoga” sees a Chinese archaeologist team up with an Indian professor to search for ancient treasures scattered between China, India and the Middle East.

Scenes in China and Dubai have already been shot. Indian sequences are expected to be completed next year.

The film was billed as one of the first co-productions to unite China and India, with the aim of getting a wide theatrical release in both of the world’s most populous nations. That ambition appeared to be derailed last month when major Indian studio Viacom18 pulled out of the project. However, Golden Network co-chief Clarence Tang says the picture remains on course to remain an Indian-Chinese co-venture. Currently the backers are Chan’s own Sparkle Roll Media Corp. and Beijing Taihe Entertainment.

Chan next shoots “Railroad Tigers” for director Ding Sheng, who previously worked with Chan on “Police Story 2013” and “Little Big Soldier.”

The film is a return to Jackie Chan’s cherished action comedies such as “Project A” and “Drunken Master II.” Due for release in second half of 2016, it is financed by Sparkle Roll, Shanghai Film Group and Beijing Going Zoom Media.

The 1941-set story sees Chan as a railroad worker who leads a team of freedom fighters to derail the Japanese war machine in China.

Golden Network is also continuing the martial arts riff — albeit in more hard-edged style — with “The Master.” The period story presents a conflict between one man’s personal ethics and the rules of “wuxia.”

Directed by Xu Haofeng (“Judge Archer,” “The Sword Identity”) and screenwriter of Wong Kar-wai’s “The Grandmaster,” “The Master” stars Liao Fan, Song Jia and Jiang Wenli.

Financed by by Beijing Century, Magilm Pictures and Heyi Pictures — the production arm of Youku Tudou — it gets a major release in China on Dec. 11.
    I must copy this to the Railroad Tigers thread.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Sonu Sood gushes over Jackie

Jackie Chan is a superhuman: Sonu Sood
    Sonu Sood, who is working with Jackie Chan in “Kung Fu Yoga”, says that the legendary actor is a superhero and he is delighted to work with him.
    By: IANS | Mumbai | Published:November 6, 2015 12:04 pm

Sonu Sood, who has signed on to play a key role in a Jackie Chan-starrer Indo-Chinese production “Kung Fu Yoga”, interacted with fans over a quick question and answer session on micro-blogging site Twitter.
    Bollywood actor Sonu Sood, who is working with Jackie Chan in “Kung Fu Yoga”, says that the legendary actor is a superhero and he is delighted to work with him

Sonu, who has signed on to play a key role in a Jackie Chan-starrer Indo-Chinese production “Kung Fu Yoga”, interacted with fans over a quick question and answer session on micro-blogging site twitter.
    When one of his fans asked him to share his experience on working with Jackie, Sonu tweeted: “Jackie is a superhuman, who pampers everyone on the sets…a delight to work with.”

“Kung Fu Yoga” is part of the three-film agreement signed between the two countries during Chinese President Xi Jinping’s visit to India last year.
    Directed by Stanley Tong, the action comedy film has been shot in Dubai. It will also be shot in Beijing and later in India.
    I found a film that stars Sonu Sood and Akki - it's in my Netflix queue now.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Amyra Dastur

And Ileana D’Cruz is out. This has been a crazy production but what else would you expect for a Sino-Indian collaboration?

Amyra Dastur signed for the Jackie Chan starrer ‘Kung Fu Yoga’
    Amyra Dastur has just bagged a Hollywood project in her kitty. The film is Jackie Chan starrer 'Kung Fu Yoga'.
    By: BollywoodHungama.com | Mumbai | Publishedecember 2, 2015 7:32 pm

Besides Jackie Chan and Amyra Dastur, ‘Kung Fu Yoga’ stars our very own desi munda Sonu Sood.

The petite and beautiful Amyra Dastur, who made her Bollywood debut with the forgettable Issaq and was last seen in the Emraan Hashmi starrer Mr.X, is reportedly now in seventh heaven these days. The reason? If Bollywood Hungama’s sources are to be believed, then, the soft spoken and gracious Amyra Dastur has just bagged a Hollywood project in her kitty.

Our source added that, the film in question is the Jackie Chan starrer Kung Fu Yoga. It is the same role that was previously supposed to be done by Ileana D’Cruz, who, for reasons best known to her, is no longer doing the film. Our source also added that there were many contenders for the role but Amyra was the best fit for the role.

Besides Jackie Chan and Amyra Dastur, ‘Kung Fu Yoga’ stars our very own desi munda Sonu Sood.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

bummed that I couldn't cut & paste the photo from this article

DEC 2, 2015
    ‘KUNG FU YOGA’ UPDATE: AMYRA DASTUR TO JOIN JACKIE CHAN AND SONU SOOD IN CHINA

The news of Aamir Khan’s exit from the casting of much-anticipated Chinese-Indian movie “Kung Fu Yoga” is old. However, the director Stanley Tong is still adding the casts for the movie that has the lead characters like Jackie Chan, Sonu Sood, Zhang Yixing, Aarif Lee aka Aarif Rahman just to name a few. But some recent reports claim that Amyra Dastur has joined the cast.

According to The Times of India, Ileana D’Cruz was supposed to join the cast of “Kung Fu Yoga” but things did not work out with the filmmakers. A large portion of the movie has already been shot with Chan and Sood and Dastur will shortly join the team for the next schedule in China. Although it is very early to say what sort of role Dastur will be playing in the movie, the publication is informed with one of its insiders that the “Issaq” actress shall be having a full-fledged role in the movie.

Before the rumor surrounding “Barfi!” actress D’Cruz joining Chan and Sood in “Kung Fu Yoga” rolled out, the filmmakers had purportedly approached Katrina Kaif for the role but she rejected the offer, as reported by ClapsnSlaps.com. Finally, the 22-year old Dastur, who was recently seen with Emraan Hashmi in the science fiction thriller movie “Mr. X,” bagged the offer.

It seems Dastur is having her high time in her career. While her role in “Kung Fu Yoga” is so far confirmed, IBN Live gives the update that she is said to have signed another yet-titled Telegu movie that would also star Vishnu Manchu and Raj Tarun.

The story of “Kung Fu Yoga” will grow surrounding the lost treasure of Magadha in Tibet and Chan’s character Jack (a professor of archeology at Xi’an-based Terracotta Warriors Museum) will be locating it.

Although the exact date for the release of “Kung Fu Yoga” is yet to be confirmed, but the fans can expect the movie to hit the big screen anytime in the next year.
    So Jackie is revisiting the character of Jack from the Myth? That would make sense as the centerpiece of that film was the India sequence. However, Bollywood tabloid news is notorious, so who knows?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More from Amyra

AMYRA JOINS JACKIE CHAN’S TREASURE HUNT
    By Avinash Lohana, Mumbai Mirror | Dec 10, 2015, 12.00 AM IST

Amyra joins Jackie Chan’s treasure hunt

After Ileana D'Cruz dropped out, invisible Emraan's visible girl has bagged the Indo-Chinese film.

Amyra Dastur has been shooting in Beijing for a week for Stanley Tong's Jackie Chan starrer, Kung Fu Yoga. She plays a desi girl with dark brown hair and several action scenes for which she underwent a four-day training in Kung Fu before reporting on the sets.

"We did gymnastics, cardio and cartwheels for at least eight hours on the first day since they wanted to check my stamina after which I trained for four hours daily," says the actress, admitting that she hadn't expected kung fu to be quite so difficult. "But since I am very fragile I need to be extra careful while doing the stunts. I've already bruised one of my fingers and have yet to perfect the back flip but I am working on it. Fortunately, my training as a dancer and a brief stint in kickboxing are coming in handy now."

The action-adventure film revolves around a treasure hunt involving Jackie Chang, Amyra, Sonu Sood and two top-ranking Chinese stars, Aarif Rahman and Zhang Yixing. The Indo-Chinese production will be dubbed in Hindi as well.

"After I wrap up the first schedule I will return to Mumbai on December 11 but will fly back a week later to start shooting with Jackie who plays an archaeologist. I am a huge fan of his and am really excited to be doing a film with Jackie. Sonu Sood tells me that he is the perfect gentleman. I just hope I don't break any bones while doing the action sequences with him," she laughs, adding that she's shown some of her songs from her previous film, Mr X, which featured Emraan Hashmi as an invisible man. "I'm also currently filming Ticket to Bollywood which also has some naach-gaana which I have replayed for Stanley."

Has she replaced Happy Ending actress, Ileana D'Cruz, who recently dropped out of the project? "No, I haven't replaced Ileana nor do I know the details of her exit. All I know is that a few changes have been made in the script post her exit," Amyra retorts.
    Oooh - four days of training in Kung Fu. That should be enough to get her ready for Jackie.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Disha Patani

Disha Patani, age 20
    Jackie, age 61
    Jackie = still da man.

DISHA PATANI TO STAR IN A JACKIE CHAN MOVIE
    TNN | Feb 9, 2016, 04.17PM IST

Disha Patani of Loafer fame is roped in by Stanley Tong, the director of Jackie Chan-starrer Kung Fu Yoga.There was room for two heroines, opposite Jackie Chan in 'Kung Fu Yoga'. And actresses Disha Patani and Amyra Dastur have landed the respective roles in the film.

Disha Patani will not only be seen displaying her action skills, but will also be seen playing Jackie Chan's love interest. Apparently, her experience in gymnastics did the trick. She plays an archaeology professor adept at expert level yoga and martial arts techniques that help Jackie Chan's character in his quest to find India's Magadha treasure in Tibet.

Disha recently returned from China after completing a schedule of her film with Jackie Chan. The actress is currently busy with dance practice till mid of February. After that, she will leave for the Iceland schedule of the Jackie Chan-starrer. Sonu Sood is also playing a key role in this Chinese action adventure film.

Disha is also playing the role of Dhoni's former girlfriend in the Neeraj Pandey directorial, MS Dhoni: the Untold Story, which is slated to hit the theatres on September 2.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips