Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vic Moore & Bruce Lee

Vic Moore & Bruce Lee

Just found this - had not heard this story..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nik8VQAcuGE

Nice clip Blacktiger, thanks.

Just goes to show, Bruce Lee was just human and we all know that he had a huge ego. It's too bad that they always showed that one clip and not the others (as Master Vic Moore said). That, to me, is an injustice to this man who has devoted his life to the martial arts and his craft. Give the man his due!

Greetings,

I saw this clip before. There was something I understood that made his statement about Bruce Lee being unable to block his punch truthful. Bruce Lee was nearsighted and that would have impaired his reaction time. Since this clip no one has come forward with the full demo of that event. And Bruce's nearsightedness may be the reason why he never competed and why he developed a fighting method that emphasized offense. So with regard to the WJM fight, it is clear that Bruce Lee was working with disadvantages that he took to task after the fight.

I believe Bruce Lee was definitely impressed by this guy. Vic Moore had a very serious match against a guy who practically dwarfed him. Moore won that match. The match may have been Bruce's inspiration in creating his fight scene with Kareem Abdul Jabbar in the "Game of Death"

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 10-23-2014 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Greetings,

I saw this clip before. There was something I understood that made his statement about Bruce Lee being unable to block his punch truthful. Bruce Lee was nearsighted and that would have impaired his reaction time. Since this clip no one has come forward with the full demo of that event. And Bruce's nearsightedness may be the reason why he never competed and why he developed a fighting method that emphasized offense. So with regard to the WJM fight, it is clear that Bruce Lee was working with disadvantages that he took to task after the fight.
    It's also possible that BL was simply unable to block his punch, regardless of his eyesight. BL wore contact lenses, but exactly when he began wearing them instead of glasses I'm not sure. I myself am nearsighted, and when I train with others and when I used to compete, I never wore corrective lenses. It's never affected my reaction time one way or another. I could even catch a moderately-thrown baseball or frisbee without lenses. So unless BL was blind as a bat without his contacts or glasses (and he most likely was wearing his contacts), it was likely a matter of BL lacking the ability to block his punches. He was human, after all, and there were and are some people out there with superior quickness, timing and distancing than BL. That's not a potshot at BL, it's simply a fact.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 10-23-2014 at 12:19 PM.

Greetings Jimbo,

I guess it would come to the degree of nearsightedness that Bruce Lee had. The glasses he had did not look thin.

It is interesting that you mentioned "blind as a bat". I thought something similar about the BL vs WJM fight. When it was described how Bruce was chasing WJM around, I thought, "like a bat with a sore throat , trying to hit something in the dark." It adds a very humorous aspect to the confrontation. And I did have a good laugh about it. But still, given whatever shortcomings, it was learning experience for both.

As for Vic Moore, he was a victim of the times. Will he have to wait for him to die for the truth to be finally shown?

I also agree with you about the quickness and that it was not unique to Bruce at the time. There will always be faster.

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 10-23-2014 at 01:51 PM.

Blog Entries
    Ok, just from watching the YT video...the impression I got was that he FOUGHT (beat 'em) them all. (~ 5:26 )

I have no desire to defend BL in any way...If he got whipped then that's what he got for showing off.

It's just that from the description master Moore gave of the speed test...I conclude it was NOT a fight, but just a simple test of reflexes. Which BL LOST..haha. Also, i'm just going to presume that he did fight and beat all the other champions though, I have no reason not to believe it unless someone else feels the need to post the contrary. Awesome for master Moore!

As for his recount of the story...I think it's totally plausible that it happened just that way. Only again, that's not a fight.

The reason I bring this up is because fighting is more than just simple tests of speed or reflexes (it's the whole package), that is obvious. I could just as easily point out growing up that I knew a guy that could be me in the classic hand slap game, but I could whip his arse in a fight. (having actually done it)
    http://cykwoon.freewebspace.com/
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Subitai

"O"..."Some people believe that you need to make another human being tap out to be a valid art. But I am constantly reminding them that I only have to defend myself and keep you from hurting me in order to Win."
    "O"..."The Hung Style practiced solely in methods of Antiquity would ultimately only be useful versus Similar skill sets"

The bottom line...

Yesterday I was wearing a Bruce Lee T-shirt. I have hundreds of T-shirts because I get a lot of them from my work, both professional and volunteer. I have several Bruce Lee T-shirts. Heck, you can get them at the mall.

I don't have a single Vic Moore T-shirt. Do they even make any?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

HAHAHAHAHA!

mickey

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post

I don't have a single Vic Moore T-shirt. Do they even make any?
    you do tempt me Gene Ching, you do temp me

vicmoretshirt.com
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

I found Mr Moore Chuck Norris story more interesting.

My Goal In Life Is To Be A Better Person Today Than I Was Yesterday. Martial Art Is One Of The Tools I Use To Achieve This.

The Equation For Good Kung Fu Is Based On Four Simple Principles Breathing, Relaxation, Continues Movement, Structure. Working Them Under Pressure Is What Good Kung Fu Training Is About.

You Have To Breath To Relax, You Have To Relax To Move, You Have To Move To Keep Structure

My Video Page
    http://www.youtube.com/user/dcrjradmonish

not that it matters much, but in the interests of comedy:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uByOGzaTRBM

B.Tunks, thanks for the video clip - it's definitely more comprehensive than the other one and calls into question Vic Moore's claim.

In the immortal words of Roper in Enter the Dragon - "Faked out again". What the deuce?

Greetings,

B.Tunks,

It is comedy because Bruce is nowhere close with that punch. And they even edited it at the beginning to where Bruce lee's punch seems to disappear, to give the impression of incredible speed.

Aside from this thread, I find the threads popping up that deconstruct Bruce Lee very interesting. It is as if he set a standard that no one can achieve; so, he has become a sort of outlier that must be destroyed. He never created his myth. Just as Vic Moore alleges, in his own way, the myth was built around him (this was said somewhere in this forum, I remember). Maybe the deconstruction of Bruce Lee is necessary to be free to find out who you really are through the liberation from expectations. Finding your own truth along your own path. Or, maybe, we have just grown tired of the bullsh!t.

mickey

I found Vic Moore's discussing the discrimination in the 1960s karate tournament/MA scene far more insightful than his discussion of Bruce Lee, TBH. He almost seems to be more upset about the BL speed demo than all the other, more serious stuff. In fact, he seems unreasonably upset about it. Whether he's telling the truth or not, 47 years have passed. It comes across as sour grapes. Complaining that all the guys he beat ended up in the movies, then criticizing the movies themselves gives the impression he's still upset that he wasn't put in movies. The movie thing wasn't all about race, since Jim Kelly, Ron Van Clief, and Carl Scott ended up in movies.

As far as pure speed goes, even BL could not have hit with "BL speed" if he were actually hitting to make real contact.

Good points Jimbo and SKM,

mickey