Thread: 4 training arguments demolished?

4 training arguments demolished?

http://www.t-nation.com/training/4-t...ments-resolved

A very interesting read in regards to strength training, diet, genetics and so forth.

An excerpt:

Genetics:

The 2007 study put 66 people of varying ages on a four-month lower-body strength training plan consisting of three exercises: squats, leg presses, and leg extensions. Each person was matched for level of effort as a percentage of their 1RM. A typical set was performed for 11 reps at 75% of 1RM.

At the end of the training period the subjects fell into three groups: those whose thigh muscle fibers grew 50% in size, those whose fibers grew 25%, and those who had no increase in muscle size at all.

Despite identical training, subjects had a range of 0% to 50% improvement. As David Epstein, author of The Sports Gene: Inside the Science of Extraordinary Athletic Performance said:

"...differences and trainability were immense. Seventeen weightlifters were extreme responders who added muscle furiously; 32 were moderate responders who had decent gains; and 17 were non-responders whose muscle fibers did not grow. It seems that some people's bodies are better primed to profit from weightlifting as the subjects who made up the extreme muscle growth group had the most satellite cells in the quadriceps, waiting to be activated and build the muscle."
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

It feels good to be a person who has an natural athletic-type body!

Quote Originally Posted by MarathonTmatt View Post
    It feels good to be a person who has an natural athletic-type body!
    Indeed, it is something that people that are "blessed" with a right body type for the sport they love should appreciate.

It is also important for people to understand how truly crucial genetics is.
    Sure there are ways around it, like PED's for example BUT the reality is that the 15% ( or so) of the population that is "athletically inclined", even they only go so far because in THOSE 15% we have the elite 2-3 % that comprise the ranks of pro and Olympic athletes.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Indeed, it is something that people that are "blessed" with a right body type for the sport they love should appreciate.

It is also important for people to understand how truly crucial genetics is.
    Sure there are ways around it, like PED's for example BUT the reality is that the 15% ( or so) of the population that is "athletically inclined", even they only go so far because in THOSE 15% we have the elite 2-3 % that comprise the ranks of pro and Olympic athletes.
    That is SUCH a good point! I feel that if I had a better diet I could push myself to a higher level. I am in-between jobs right now and more often than not just eat what is available, which isn't always the best thing. But still I have managed to be more athletic/ fit/ conditioned/ etc. than the average person which is still pretty good and I enjoy my martial arts training and am able to progress etc.

And on a side thought- how important is it for people to train in martial arts styles that fit their body types? (boxing, long fist, wing chun, karate, tae kwon do, white crane etc.) Just thought it would be interesting to hear people's responses to this if anyone bites.

Crossfit!

Kung Fu is good for you.