Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the #1 thing you look for when visiting an kung fu school for the first time?

What is the #1 thing you look for when visiting an kung fu school for the first time?

What is the #1 thing you look for when visiting a kung fu school for the first time?
    This question is asked under the assumption that the school offers a style you want to study.
    I understand that, ultimately, the decision comes down to a multitude of factors, but I am looking for just one thing. What's your top priority? The first major thing you look for when you open up the doors and visit a kung fu school for the first time that will have the most influence or impacting impression of the school.

- Is it the size of its class?
    - The location? (i.e; stand alone school, in the back of a magic and costume shop, in a plaza strip, someone's garage, etc.)
    - The price to join?
    - Awards and trophies that are showcased or lack thereof?
    - The appearance of the instructor?
    - The ability of its students.
    - It's lineage?
    - Is it independent or part of a larger organization?
    - etc.?

For me, it comes down to my first impression of the instructor, not in regards to his physical appearance, but his ability to communicate honestly with me. Are we able to immediately establish a trusting teacher/student relationship. Whether his school is filled with talented students or terrible students is irrelevant to my personal growth and study in a given school, I want to know if he can personally teach and communicate with me effectively.
    Last edited by Wuxia007; 10-31-2014 at 10:23 AM.

Hard to narrow it down to just one thing....

...but I always do look to see if they are using Tiger Claw gear.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I count the MILFs
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Greetings,

At one time, it was the weapons. It quickly evolved to looking for evidence of fighting and gloves.

mickey

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Greetings,

At one time, it was the weapons. It quickly evolved to looking for evidence of fighting and gloves.

mickey
    Was there any specific weapon or weapons you would look for? Or were you simply looking for the quantity?

One thing that I have gotten tired of when walking into a kung fu school and speaking to the Sifu for the first time is getting the overly used paraphrased quote/philosophy from Bruce Lee about "empty your cup". To me it's just become so expected and such a formulaic marketing technique of almost every sifu to try and capture the interests of potential new students. "Bruce Lee" and "empty your cup" have become such buzzwords in the kung fu school world.
    And I get it, there are still large majority of potential new students who have never visited a martial arts school before and therefore have never, or at least very rarely, came across the quote/philosophy. But it's like, there are other MA philosophies and great martial artists out there to rip off, lol.

One thing that I like is when a teacher is confident enough to let his senior students spar with outsiders who visit the club. If the senior students cant handle themselves against a stranger in class.... then they don't have much chance protecting themselves outside of class. I have seen some teachers who wont let outsiders do any kind of partner work with their own students... to me that just shows lack of confidence.

Also, I cant stand a teacher who spends the whole class dissing other styles.... it just old and boring.

I look at the people, what sort of shape they are in and what are they doing.
    Posture and how they carry themselves says a lot to me.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Greetings,

Wuxia007,

I was looking at weapons as empowerment. Realizing that I could not walk too far with a spear or knife, I started looking for empty hand fighting. If the NRA had a strong presence in NYC, I would have joined them first and foremost.

mickey

Quote Originally Posted by xiao yao View Post
    Also, I cant stand a teacher who spends the whole class dissing other styles.... it just old and boring.
    Xiao Yao,

I am right there with you. I have seen plenty of that and to me it raises a red flag that the instructor is likely a bit delusional as he romanticizes the style. Every style has its pros and cons and every style is effective for somebody. Just let the style speak for itself.

Empty your Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Wuxia007 View Post
    One thing that I have gotten tired of when walking into a kung fu school and speaking to the Sifu for the first time is getting the overly used paraphrased quote/philosophy from Bruce Lee about "empty your cup". To me it's just become so expected and such a formulaic marketing technique of almost every sifu to try and capture the interests of potential new students. "Bruce Lee" and "empty your cup" have become such buzzwords in the kung fu school world.
    Actually, the 'empty your cup' thing isn't Bruce Lee. It is a famous Zen Koan, attributed to the Japanese Master Nan-in of the Meiji era (1868-1912). Many of Lee's most famous words of wisdom were poached from Zen. I even wrote an article related to this. See An Iron Head Points to the Moon: Shaolin Wushuguan's Senior Master, Monk Shi Sugang (MAY+JUNE 2005).
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Safety factors and equipments

mattress, mitten, head gear and chest protector, knee covering

Posters for safety rules etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Wuxia007 View Post
    And I get it, there are still large majority of potential new students who have never visited a martial arts school before and therefore have never, or at least very rarely, came across the quote/philosophy. But it's like, there are other MA philosophies and great martial artists out there to rip off, lol.
    I've never had any teacher, Chinese style or otherwise, use the 'empty your cup' phrase with me. At most, they would ask if I had any previous training.

I'm also lucky that I've never had any teacher who constantly ragged on other styles. When I was very young, I did train for about 18 months under a Shi-to ryu karate sensei from Japan who on rare occasions made fun of other styles, mostly Chinese styles, and once I heard him criticize Korean vs. Japanese-style punching, but that's about it.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 11-03-2014 at 11:44 AM.

The students you should see first, whatever senior student appears and the master.

(But if I was honest, I would have to say the decor. If the wall hangings and rugs clash, I'm outta there!)
    Last edited by curenado; 11-03-2014 at 04:03 PM. Reason: punctuation
    "The perfect way to do, is to be" ~ Lao Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by xiao yao View Post
    One thing that I like is when a teacher is confident enough to let his senior students spar with outsiders who visit the club. If the senior students cant handle themselves against a stranger in class.... then they don't have much chance protecting themselves outside of class. I have seen some teachers who wont let outsiders do any kind of partner work with their own students... to me that just shows lack of confidence.

I take issue with this actually. This happened at our school about a month ago. A kid came in off the street (I mean an adult but a kid compared to me ) said he'd been doing MMA for a year and wanted to spar my best student. I feel as a teacher it is my responsibility to protect my students not only from their stupidity but the stupidity of others. Also if you're traveling around issuing challenges, then be a man (or woman I guess) and ask to fight the teacher. Which is ultimately what I told the kid, me or nobody. He decided to put gloves on... it didn't go so well for him.

Hopefully he will workshed some stuff before going around and trying to issue challenges again. I dunno.

I have no doubt that my students could have handled themselves against him (or anyone at that skill level), but I'm also not going to throw them to lions inside the school which is supposed to be the place they feel safe trying all the fake dance moves I'm teaching them.