Thread: What is the #1 thing you look for when visiting an kung fu school for the first time?

Threaded View

What is the #1 thing you look for when visiting an kung fu school for the first time?

What is the #1 thing you look for when visiting a kung fu school for the first time?
    This question is asked under the assumption that the school offers a style you want to study.
    I understand that, ultimately, the decision comes down to a multitude of factors, but I am looking for just one thing. What's your top priority? The first major thing you look for when you open up the doors and visit a kung fu school for the first time that will have the most influence or impacting impression of the school.

- Is it the size of its class?
    - The location? (i.e; stand alone school, in the back of a magic and costume shop, in a plaza strip, someone's garage, etc.)
    - The price to join?
    - Awards and trophies that are showcased or lack thereof?
    - The appearance of the instructor?
    - The ability of its students.
    - It's lineage?
    - Is it independent or part of a larger organization?
    - etc.?

For me, it comes down to my first impression of the instructor, not in regards to his physical appearance, but his ability to communicate honestly with me. Are we able to immediately establish a trusting teacher/student relationship. Whether his school is filled with talented students or terrible students is irrelevant to my personal growth and study in a given school, I want to know if he can personally teach and communicate with me effectively.
    Last edited by Wuxia007; 10-31-2014 at 10:23 AM.