Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is the #1 thing you look for when visiting an kung fu school for the first time?

Respect!!

Do the students and instructor respect each other, their art and the school. That, and of course what MK said.
    Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    point sparring is a great way to train

friendly exchange hands

1 set up rules of safety and end points for winning and losing.

2 a 3rd party to referee or mediate.

Safety first.

We want to learn from each other without injuries.

3 Insurance and all.

I would examine school's safety rules/protocol first.

Injury incidents and policy and insurance.

If the teacher is a bad ass or not. I know most of you won't agree with me but I only like training under a bad ass. I don't particularly care how great of a teacher they are. It doesn't matter. It did in the first few years but not anymore. My very first long term gong fu teacher was not the greatest of teachers, he wasn't bad just not great, but he is a total bad ass and I'm glad the way things turned out in the long run. Everyone learns differently, personally I learn best from.getting my ass kicked. Martially, I respect power and the ability to use that power. Its my job to make what you teach me work. Show me, watch me, test me, beat me. That's the best formula for me to learn, so for me to learn my best, you need to beat me, and to do that you need to be a bad ass.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    If the teacher is a bad ass or not. I know most of you won't agree with me but I only like training under a bad ass. I don't particularly care how great of a teacher they are. It doesn't matter. It did in the first few years but not anymore. My very first long term gong fu teacher was not the greatest of teachers, he wasn't bad just not great, but he is a total bad ass and I'm glad the way things turned out in the long run. Everyone learns differently, personally I learn best from.getting my ass kicked. Martially, I respect power and the ability to use that power. Its my job to make what you teach me work. Show me, watch me, test me, beat me. That's the best formula for me to learn, so for me to learn my best, you need to beat me, and to do that you need to be a bad ass.
    Lucas - I don't agree with a lot of folks here, but you I do 100%. If I feel I can kick their ass already, I won 't learn from them. One school I went to, they had a drill with us "lower" ranks vs. Black Belts. The lower ranks were to attack the black belts any way they wanted to with a rubber knife. It was pathetic, none of the lower ranks had any experience with knife skills so the black belts were taking it to them and patting each other on the back. When it was my turn I systematically "killed" every black belt (four of them in the drill), and they were all like ummmmmmm OK. I studied Kali and WW2 knife combat for a while lol.
    Have you ever tried any psychotherapy to clear up your issues? ~ cerebus

I had a fealing you'd be coming through here... ~ Northern Practitioner

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Crazy Mad Drunk. You do indeed come across as mentally ill and chemically messed up. Congratulations on your well-chosen name. ~ Chang Style Novice

Did I mention that I was a national San Shou champoin? ~ Liokault

I like my fellow student to be a bad ass so we can push each other, but I don't look for that in the teacher.

You sharpen a knife with a whetstone, not with another knife. A whetstone is blunt but it generates sharpness. (old Chinese saying, lost the poetry in translation, but thats the gist of it)
    問「武」。曰:「克。」未達。曰:「勝己之私之謂克。」

Age can be a factor of course. I wouldn't expect an elder to.be able to kick my ass. There would be some sort of achievements to look into and if they can all the better. However if the teacher is young and a puss.... no thanks. I mean if they have bad ass students, that's great and all but it only means something if 100% of their experience comes directly under that teachers instruction. If not I would assume its the students prior experience and natural ability/aptitude that developed those results.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Well, I tend to avoid commercial schools, you know... the ones with "flashy" ads, facebook ads, flyers et. as if trying to sell me a product.

What I look for in a school is:

Lineage
    Style
    Knowledge
    Honesty
    Humility

Everything else is secondary or tertiary. I mention humility because it is very important to me, not too many are humble nowadays, specially in the MA community. Knowledge (also applies to skill) is also important (both theory and practice) and it is something I value very much.

Ironically, the closest WC school to my location is a commercial one. The sifu strikes me as a honest person, so thats a plus. Still thinking about joining.

Does the teacher earn respect by sharing his knowledge and demonstrating his skill
    or demand it with lots of narcissistic ceremony and martial bull shirts.

How is the practical application managed? What is the path to convert training into live combat? Does it create fighters?

Is this stable and durable as a going concern so I can put in enough time to learn something.

Are these the kind of people I want to hang out with.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia