Thread: Full Circle Back to the Beginning

Full Circle Back to the Beginning

On the weekend of October 25th 2014, I, along with my student Sifu Dedan Wilmot have the opportunity to travel down to Southern California and participate in Sifu Ron Quan's Tempt One Championship ALS Charity Fundraiser. As this was my first venture down to Southern California for a kung fu event, I really didn't know what to expect. Once we arrived in Los Angeles, we were greeted by Sifu Ron who's generosity is unsurpassed.
    On the day of the Championship I was quite surprised to see so many celebrated kung fu masters seeing that I had my eyes fixed on seeing my Big Brother Sifu Don Hamby of the Hung Kuen System and meeting a very good Sifu of the Northern Ying Jow Faan Tzi Moon system Master Ken Edwards. To my surprise there was Grandmaster Raymond Wong of Mi Zhong, Lohan, Master Derrick Wright of 7 Star Mantis, Douglas and Carrie Wong, Jason Tsou, Sifu Kisu, Sifu Kurtis Fujita, Sifu's Danierl and Staphanie Tomazaki and many others. The humbleness that each master displayed was very refreshing. There was so much traditional Chinese martial arts in Southern California to my surprise.

Later that evening after the tournament while reflecting in my hotel room, I began thinking about my kung fu based upon what I witnessed earlier in the day at the Championships and thought to myself that Traditional Kung Fu is very much alive and thriving. At a young age I took a liking to kung fu, beginning with Master Yuan Chan of the Pek Kwar Moon and Mi Zhong Systems. Sifu used to tell us all the time "If you think I have all the answers, you are wrong, go out and learn something new to get more experience". I did just that. But now partially motivated by my brothers in L.A. , I have come full circle to my roots, which are Pek Kwar Moon and Mi Zhong.

Pek Kwar Moon and MiZhong are two clebrated systems of traditional kung fu, rich in history legacy and anecdotes. As one of the senior students of my Sifu before his death, it is now my desire to prote the legacy of Master Yuan by forming the Northern California Yuan Chan Pek Kwar Moon Mi Zhong Kung Fu Association. This association will cater to the intergrity, promotion and the preserving of these two systems as taught by Master Yuan Chan. Sifu, Troy Dunwood

This was an excellent tournament with proceeds going to a great cause.
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

Do you teach in Northern California or Southern California, Master Dunwood?

re:

we are located in Northern California, Oakland, right outside of San Francisco.