Thread: Does your Personality Determine the Best Martial Art for you?

Does your Personality Determine the Best Martial Art for you?

I'm just starting to learn martial arts. Can you suggest which is the easiest to learn and is perfect for beginners? I read that your personality can determine the best martial art for you. Do you think it's really helpful if I take a personality test? Thanks.

highlypotion,

No, I don't think a personality test will help as far as choosing a martial art. Even within any particular art or school, there are all different personality types. Of course, if you have a competitive personality, you should consider an art/school that emphasizes competitions. Or if you want a school that is more laid-back and will allow you to train at your own pace, look for that.

You'd probably do better to visit as many different MA schools as you can, and see if you feel like you'd like to train at a particular place. Then look at the art and decide if it's something you'd actually want to train in. See how you feel about a particular teacher and the school's atmosphere.

I personally think that Judo is a great art to begin MA training. But in the end, only you can decide what's best for you.

It depends on what you mean by "easiest".
    Any and every style can be easy if you put no effort into it.
    If by "easiest" you mean a style or school that gives you constant instant gratification then you need to look no further than your corner after school family karate/TKD school.
    If by easy you mean, a style that caters your individual physical capabilities and personality then that's something only you can decide, as Jimbo already stated, by visiting different school and seeing what works for you.

In my opinion, the reality is that if your putting all your energy and effort into learning, practicing, and growing, there is no single "easiest" or "perfect" style for a beginner.

I second basic judo as a great start that will translate right on to anything else. There is a short list of techniques and by the time you have those down, you will know if you want to change styles.

If you are not interested in competition, no competitive school is going to feel right. Just like competitive need people who feel there is something intrinsic that is missing, but they haven't put their finger on it.
    Watch a competition. If you really like it, it is possible ...
    If it's ok, but you wouldn't be into it or feel "not ready", that's the other answer too. I have shown youtube to people who start smiling real big because that was it ~

Karate has to be the next in line for a see-able completion and technique set? Enjoy finding out!
    "The perfect way to do, is to be" ~ Lao Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by highlypotion View Post
    I'm just starting to learn martial arts. Can you suggest which is the easiest to learn and is perfect for beginners? I read that your personality can determine the best martial art for you. Do you think it's really helpful if I take a personality test? Thanks.
    A lot of styles require you to be really physically fit as well as physically cut for it. as a young person you can often achieve high levels of skill in the more physical styles, but as you ageyou will lose the ability to perform. it is unrealistic to think you will keep your prowess into middle and old age.
    there are a few that can be achieved by most anyone that is really serious. Japanese jiujitsu is one. it contains all the throws, trips, locks and holds that can be found in any system. most of this once learned will stay with you and will be useful as an old man.
    another is Wing Chun kung fu. short, tall, fat or skinny. anyone can learn and apply it. it will stay into old age and still be useful.
    a martial art is not going to make a champion fighter out of you. It is designed to give you a little bit of advantage over the average person. If you only fight top notched champion fighters, you need a pistol.
    Jackie Lee

No, but personality traits will define what you do with your martial arts.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Well said, David!

What we need is an MMPI for martial arts.

Seriously, one of the most significant factors is location, location, location. If a personality test told you that the best style for you was gatka, and the nearest gatka school was like 8000 miles away, you're not going to train there. Find a school that's close enough for you to train at realistically. Maybe you'll get a shot at gatka some day, but for now, just start training somewhere close enough to your home where you can actually train. So it's not about personality. It's about geography.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Wow okay well that answers my question about personality assessments being a factor in this matter. Thank you all for your suggestions and judo sounds like the perfect start. I want something that will prepare me for whichever art I choose to go to next so yes I think I'll look into that.

Quote Originally Posted by highlypotion View Post
    Wow okay well that answers my question about personality assessments being a factor in this matter. Thank you all for your suggestions and judo sounds like the perfect start. I want something that will prepare me for whichever art I choose to go to next so yes I think I'll look into that.
    I'm an ENTJ in MB profile.
    Just in case you wanted to know.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Tmi dj

I still think the MMPI would be more appropo.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I still think the MMPI would be more appropo.
    entj, too sexy.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Yes, personality is a factor. No, a Myers-Briggs assessment won't help.

But yeah, of course personality matters.