Thread: The 6th World Traditional Wushu Championships

The 6th World Traditional Wushu Championships

I'm hearing from some people returning from this now and I realized we never posted a thread.

1st World Traditional Wushu Championships
    2nd World Traditional Wushu Championships
    3rd World Traditional Wushu Championships
    4th World Traditional Wushu Championships
    5th World Traditional Wushu Championships

The 6th World Traditional Wushu Championship Kicks Off in China
    2014-10-27 10:55:49 CRIENGLISH.com Web Editor: zhang

The 6th World Traditional Wushu Championships kicks off in Chizhou city of east China's Anhui Province on October 26, 2014. [Photo: xinhuanet.com]

The 6th World Traditional Wushu Championship is still underway in the Great Wish Cultural Park in the city of Chizhou, east China's Anhui Province.

More than 2,000 martial arts athletes from over 45 countries and regions are participating in this competition.

Many overseas athletes believe Wushu exercises can help them better understand this distinctively Chinese martial art.

"Learning traditional Wushu helps us better understand the Chinese culture."

Also, many contestants say Wushu is a means of self-improvement.

"The competition is just a way to see how far we've got, but its essence is to fortify one's health and improve one's energy and strength."

This championship is slated to last for three days.
    Athletes compete for honors at international traditional Wushu event
    October 30, 2014

More than 2,000 martial arts athletes from around the world have given their best performances for a traditional Wushu competition in east China’s Anhui Province.

Hailed as an Olympic-level event for the martial arts in the world, the 6th World Traditional Wushu Championship includes various bare handed wushu styles as well as routines with weapons.

In addition to events for individual routines, the Wushu championship, which lasts through Wednesday in the city of Chizhou – also features dual and group events. Chinese and overseas athletes compete in different groups.

Chinese-American tourist Wu Zhaohui said martial arts exercise helps him achieve “discipline, unity, respect, and humility”.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Some coverage

Congrats to Blevins, although reporting this as him "beating out some 3,000 top martial artists there" is distorted.

Wade Blevins practices his weapons form while in China for the World Traditional Wushu Championships. He earned a bronze medal in that event, but gold in the bare-handed division.

Cherokee Citizen Wins Gold at World Traditional Wushu Championships

ICTMN Staff
    11/11/14

TAHLEQUAH, Okla. — Cherokee Nation citizen Wade Blevins just struck gold in China. The 41-year-old won the World Traditional Wushu Championships in the bare-handed division, beating out some 3,000 top martial artists there competing from around the globe.

Blevins was one of 30 to make the U.S. Wushu-Kungfu Federation team back in February. Wushu is an ancient martial art created for self-defense and physical conditioning. He is thought to be the only Native American competitor at the international tournament.

“To win the gold medal feels absolutely incredible. It’s one of the achievements I'm most proud of in my life,” said Blevins, of Tahlequah. “All the years of hard work and training in the gym, all the sacrifices I've made and eating better have paid off. I feel like I won this gold for my martial arts school, my family, my community and my tribe.”

Blevins also earned a bronze medal in the weapons category during the championship held Oct. 26. He was scored on his balance, speed, technique and form by international judges.

Blevins works for the Cherokee Nation’s Johnson O’ Malley program that helps provide resources to Native students in public schools. He grew up in Jay watching kung fu movies and took his first martial arts class at age 12, earning a black belt six years later.

Blevins spends more than 20 hours a week in the gym, training competitively and teaching students.

For more information on the World Traditional Wushu Championships, visit IWUF.org.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our latest ezine offering

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

And here's another...

But read ours above first as it gives a less fawning opinion.
    From the community
    Nguyen, Gold Medalist Winner at the 6th World Traditional Wushu Championship, China 2014.
    Posted by qcacio, Community Contributor
    By Community Contributor qcacio,

Hoa Nguyen, a 68 year-old West Hartford resident since 1986, bestowed upon the ultimate once in a lifetime opportunity. He was chosen to embark on an adventure across the world in China (along with 70 other USA team members) to compete in a World Traditional Wushu Championship ultimately placing 1st in the Tai Chi 24 form, winning a gold medal. Furthermore, along with winning the gold medal, Hoa also placed 2nd in the Tai Chi 32 Sword form and won a silver medal.
    Since July 2014 when Hoa competed at Manchester High School in the New England International Wushu Championship and was selected to be part of the USA team, he made it a personal goal and his mission: the aspiration to be placed in the top 3.
    On October 23, 2014, along with the 70 USA Team members, Hoa embarked to Chizhou's city, Anhui province, China to compete in the 6th World Traditional Wushu Championship that lasted 7 days. He competed in the senior division category along with other Tai Chi members from around the world. There was 45 countries registered and more than 2,000 athletes signed up for this competition.
    With countless hours of hard training and constructive assistance from his teacher and peers, Hoa's mission and dream was finally given to him. As a result, Hoa scored a 9.22 out of 10 during the Tai Chi 24 form earning him the huge achievement of a gold medal. He also scored a 9.13 during the Tai Chi 32 Sword form. He never did imagine that he would be coming home to America with a gold medal especially being the oldest member of the USA team.
    Through this whole journey, he couldn't have accomplished this without his Tai Chi Master, Shifu Malee Khow from Malee's School of Tai Chi & King Fu in Manchester, CT for teaching and providing him the necessary instructions to compete and achieve his goals. Most of all, it is his family and friends he would like to thank. They have been there supporting and encouraging Hoa throughout the whole training process and competition.
    I cannot believe that I was chosen for this once and a lifetime experience and I'm honored that I came home with a winning making my teacher, family and friends proud of my accomplishments. Most of all, I am proud of myself for my hard work and determination. The saying is true: "If you believe it, you will achieve it!"
    Hoa Nguyen
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips