So here lately my schedule has become highly unpredictable, multiple people sharing one vehicle, small child, spouse with a crazy work schedule, the whole nine yards really. I am broke as a joke to top it off.

Now for years I have been interested in Hung Gar. On a lark I found myself looking around online for instructional videos, really more just to get an idea of the system in action. I came across the Wing Lam Hung Gar instructional series and to my uneducated eye it seems fairly comprehensive. With the holidays coming round folks are asking me what to get me for them and I thought about telling them to pick up the beginner Hung Gar set from Wing Lams website.

Now I am realistic about these things, I understand that learning from a video isn't in the same ballpark as live training. I do have a fairly extensive martial arts background though, 8 years (on and off) of WC and JKD, a year of Kickboxing and BJJ, and a bit over a year of Boxing.

I have a great Sifu whom I consider a role model and mentor but my schedule is to crazy actually go to class for the foreseeable future, my attendance would be sporadic at best. I could however steal an hour or so a day to train at home and would like to be learning something new.

So I was wondering, how good are these DVDs, what lineage of Hung Gar does he teach, and more importantly how much could I actually pick up learning this way? Would there even be any point? I would love to learn some Hung Gar in person but I don't think there is even anyone in my entire state that teaches it. Basically I want to learn something until the (distant at this point) day that I am able to get back into proper training.