Thread: Wing Chun and BJJ

Wing Chun and BJJ

Hello,

Does any here cross train in BJJ and Wing Chun? I've studied BJJ for around 6 years now and Wing Chun for only 6 months. I've noticed that some Wing Chun concepts can cross over to ground work such as sensitivity and sticking to one's opponent, and I know that Randy Williams has adapted Wing Chun to the ground, but I was wondering if anyone here had any insight on how ground fighting and Wing Chun can go together. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Wing_Chun_Jake View Post
    Hello,

Does any here cross train in BJJ and Wing Chun? I've studied BJJ for around 6 years now and Wing Chun for only 6 months. I've noticed that some Wing Chun concepts can cross over to ground work such as sensitivity and sticking to one's opponent, and I know that Randy Williams has adapted Wing Chun to the ground, but I was wondering if anyone here had any insight on how ground fighting and Wing Chun can go together. Thanks!
    I have a senior WC instructor qualification under Rick Spain and a Machado BJJ black belt under Anthony Lange. My training bud Dave O'Donnell is a also a BJJ black belt and one of the inheritors of Jim Fung's Wing Chun.

There is some cross over (there is cross over between everything and everything else if you want it badly enough) but also a great deal of difference. Some things you do in WC will get you mauled if you try them on the ground against a competent Jiu Jitsuoka ... and vice versa, though IMO not so much.

IMO you should train the two arts separately until you have a lot more experience in both.

FWIW, I think WC is more applicable to standing grappling than to the ground game.

I haven't spent much time looking at Randy Williams' stuff but didn't find what I saw at all impressive.

If you want to learn to beat grapplers, learn grappling. Grapplers have the best "antigrappling" because they are dealing with other grapplers all the time.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by Wing_Chun_Jake View Post
    Hello,

Yes I do cross train. I believe they can go together. However the problem with putting them together is that they each have vastly different fundamentals to build and ingrain. And until each is built to a certain level you are just as likely to do exactly the wrong thing in the wrong environment with the wrong timing. So with only 6 months in your main worry is going to be how to get your hands to actually be a threat rather than worry about crossover concepts. But yes you can chi sau in BJJ rolling handfighting obviously, and yes handfighting and centerline concepts go together, etc. But my advice is just flow with that stuff and build the skill in your hands first. Otherwise you can get hung up in scenarios that don't mix, like centerline and back mount. I'm not a huge fan of RW's work on adapting because I think his ground knowledge is too low, but I mean most basically work your fundamentals and do a lot of sparring not under duress where you can experiment putting skillsets together. Oh sorry my creds are HFY student of GM Garrett Gee, BJJ brown now under Marcelo Motta (Carlson Gracie) and hobbyist sparring partner at Pariah MMA.
    Last edited by Wayfaring; 12-06-2014 at 09:19 PM.

Both involve touch I find they compliment each other