Thread: Gone with the Bullets

Gone with the Bullets

Time for a thread on this one, the sequel to Let the Bullets Fly.

Bullets premiere abruptly postponed

By Kevin Ma and Stephen Cremin

Mon, 08 December 2014, 09:45 AM (HKT)
    Distribution News

Tonight's world premiere of JIANG Wen 姜文's Gone with the Bullets 一步之遙 in Beijing has been abruptly canceled.

In a statement that went to Mainland media late last night, producer MA Ke 馬珂 stated that the film's press conference and world premiere have been postponed "for the reason that everyone knows".

Jiang and the State Administration of Press, Publication, Radio, Film and Television (SAPPRFT) 國家新聞出版廣電總局 are believed to have been at a stand-off over the final edit of the film, set to open in ten days, as the government tightens censorship of local commercial films.

Ma attributes the delay to a "new situation arising near the end of the censorship process".

The premiere was set to be held in the Beijing University of Technology Gymnasium, where an IMAX screen had already been set up. The film is being extensively promoted in China.

The big-budget drama, shot in 3-D, has reportedly sold RMB120 million (US$19.5 million) in pre-sale tickets, representing a record in the world's second largest film market.

Jiang's producing partner Ma reassured the press that the film's 18 Dec release date remains unaffected at this time. The producer did not announce a new date for the world premiere.

Among the comments on industry figure's microblogs was renewed calls for film classifications from cinema operator Jimmy WU 胡基鳴: "This kind of frustration will continue to occur while there is no ratings system."

Jiang's follow-up to Let the Bullets Fly 讓子彈飛 (2010), Gone With the Bullets is one of the most anticipated Chinese releases of 2014. It stars Jiang, GE You 葛優 and SHU Qi 舒淇.

The film had at least one private screening last week for industry insiders.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

pre-sold RMB120 million (US$19.5 million)

Bullets opens after clearing China censorship

By Kevin Ma
    Thu, 18 December 2014, 13:30 PM (HKT)
    Distribution News

After receiving last-minute censorship approval, JIANG Wen 姜文's Gone with the Bullets 一步之遙 opens in China today.

The film — starring Jiang, GE You 葛優 and SHU Qi 舒淇 — will screen in 3-D and IMAX 3-D, occupying approximately 56.5% of all screening slots nationwide. Last month, it was announced that it had pre-sold RMB120 million (US$19.5 million) of advanced tickets.

According to the censorship approval certificate that was posted online by local media, the film was approved for release last Friday, on 12 Dec, ahead of a hastily arranged premiere on Monday at Beijing's Olympic Sports Center Gymnasium.

Exact details about the edits made to the film have not been announced. However, an actress in the film wrote on her Weibo microblog last week that she had been called in to re-dub dialogue. Those posts have since been deleted.

According to local media, the final version's running time of 140 minutes is the same as at an early private screening held two weeks ago, suggesting that changes to the film's editing may have been negligible.

It is not clear to what extend the last-minute manoeuvring was a publicity stunt or part of the production company's negotiation with government censors. Several of the censors demands were leaked online last week, including requests to tone down lascivious shots and sexual innuendo in the dialogue.

Also on Monday night, Bona Film Group Co Ltd 博納影業集團有限公司 held the first industry screening of it's own big-budget 3-D release, TSUI Hark 徐克's The Taking of Tiger Mountain 智取威虎山3D. While opinions were divided for Bullets, with many calling Jiang out for being self-indulgent, Tiger Mountain received almost unanimous praise. The Bona film opens on 24 Dec.
    I wanna see the uncensored version....
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

the biggest opening day of his career

I'm not sure this is the appropriate usage of the term 'shoots up' but I enjoy Ma's reporting overall - he has a great eye for what's happening now - that I'll overlook that.

Bullets shoots up RMB80m opening

By Kevin Ma
    Sat, 20 December 2014, 09:00 AM (HKT)
    Box Office News

Though it is far from the biggest opening day of the year, JIANG Wen 姜文 achieved the biggest opening day of his career with Gone with the Bullets 一步之遙 on Thursday.

Accounting for approximately 56.5% of all screening slots nationwide, the comedy-drama earned RMB80.2 million (US$12.9 million) on its first day in cinemas, including RMB6.85 million (US$1.1 million) from midnight shows.

While it still ranks as one of the best opening days for a local film this year, it is still far below the opening day grosses of 2-D road comedy Breakup Buddies 心花路放 (RMB97.6 million, US$15.7 million) and 3-D fantasy extravaganza The Monkey King 西遊記之大鬧天宮 (RMB121 million, US$19.4 million). Bullets — which reportedly cost RMB300 million (US$48.2 million) to produce — was released on 3-D and IMAX 3-D.

Since its world premiere on Monday – which was delayed due to last-minute censorship negotiations – the film's word-of-mouth has been sharply divided. While some filmgoers have praised the film's ambition and grandiose visuals, others expressed confusion.

On Friday night, Bona Film Group Co Ltd 博納影業集團有限公司 announced that it is moving up the release of TSUI Hark 徐克's The Taking of Tiger Mountain 智取威虎山3D by six hours, to 6pm on 23 Dec. A spokesperson for the company said that the shift is not related to the audience reaction to Bullets. Huayi Brothers Media Corporation 華誼兄弟傳媒股份有限公司's romantic comedy Love in the Cloud 微愛之漸入佳境 is still set to open on 24 Dec.

One day before its original release date of 19 Dec, the distributor of Clara LAW 羅卓瑤's Shanghai Noir 暴走神探 announced at a press conference that its release has been pushed to 16 Jan 2015.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Not a record-breaker...

...but still notable.

Bullets has RMB300 million opening weekend

By Kevin Ma

Tue, 23 December 2014, 23:30 PM (HKT)
    Box Office News

Despite a censorship controversy and some negative feedback, filmgoers flocked to JIANG Wen 姜文's Gone with the Bullets 一步之遙, which topped the China box office over the weekend.

Though the period comedy didn't break records, it earned an impressive RMB333 million (US$53.5 million) from approximately 7.72 million admissions over four days. Screening only in 3-D and IMAX 3-D, the film accounted for approximately 55.8% of all screenings over the weekend.

Beijing Buyilehu Film and Culture Ltd 北京不亦樂乎影業有限公司 announced yesterday morning that the 2-D version of the film will be released this afternoon, 23 Dec, just hours before the opening of TSUI Hark 徐克's 3-D action epic The Taking of Tiger Mountain 智取威虎山3D. In order to maintain a higher ticket price, 3-D releases in China are generally released without a 2-D option.

Four years ago, Jiang's Let the Bullets Fly 讓子彈飛 (2010) made RMB181 million (US$29.2 million) in its first four days. It earned RMB674 million (US$108 million) during its theatrical run.

With Clara LAW 羅卓瑤's Shanghai Noir 暴走神探 shifting release date to 16 Jan, Bullets went virtually unopposed. ZHANG Yibai 張一白's Fleet of Time 匆匆那年 dropped to second place, earned RMB46.4 million (US$7.46 million) between Friday and Sunday. After 17 days, the romance drama has earned RMB545.35 million (US$87.6 million).

KWAK Jae-yong 곽재용 | 郭在容's Meet Miss Anxiety 我的早更女友 dropped to third place in its second weekend, making RMB24.1 million (US$3.88 million) between Friday and Sunday. The romantic comedy has made RMB148 million (US$23.8 million) after ten days.

John WOO 吳宇森's The Crossing 太平輪 has made RMB182 million (US$29.3 million) after 20 days. PANG Ho-cheung 彭浩翔's Women Who Flirt 撒嬌女人最好命 has earned RMB225 million (US$36.2 million) after 24 days. LOU Ye 婁燁's Blind Massage 推拿 has earned RMB7.68 million (US$1.23 million) after 24 days.

In Taiwan, The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies opened at the top of the box office. From 22 locations in Taipei, the final instalment of the Hobbit trilogy earned NT$30.9 million (US$978,000) over five days.

This is by far the best opening weekend for the trilogy. Last year, The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug opened with NT$20.6 million (US$652,000) over three days. Two years ago, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012) earned NT$16.0 million (US$508,000) on opening weekend.

Local romance drama Endless Nights In Aurora 極光之愛, based on a play by Hugh LEE 李國修, opened in fifth place. From 14 locations in Taipei, the LEE Szu-yuan 李思源 film earned NT$2.17 million (US$68,700) over three days.

From just eight locations in Taipei, YAGI Ryuichi 八木竜一 and YAMAZAKI Takashi 山崎貴's Stand By Me Doraemon STAND BY ME ドラえもん earned NT$2.18 million (US$69,100) million over three days. The hit animated film opened in 27 locations nationwide.

Parasyte: Part 1 寄生獣 PART1 – also directed by Yamazaki – opened in seventh place, earning NT$1.81 million (US$57,300) from nine locations in Taipei.

CHEN Hung-i 陳宏一's Design 7 Love 相愛的七種設計 opened in twelfth place, making NT$383,033 (US$12,100) from seven Taipei locations in three days. The Golden Horse nominee is the final instalment of Chen's "Taipei Trilogy", after Candy Rain 花吃了那女孩 (2008) and Honey PuPu 消失打看 (2011).

Exodus: Gods and Kings has earned NT$32.1 million (US$1.02 million) in Taipei after two weekends. Christopher NOLAN's Interstellar has earned NT$125 million (US$3.96 million) in the capital after 45 days. After three weekends, Woo's The Crossing has made NT$16.29 million (US$516,000) in Taipei.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I'll give this one a miss. I didn't like Let the Bullets Fly at all. I guess I just didn't "get it". Apparently I was one of the few that didn't like it. IMO, the comedy wasn't funny at all, and the way it was paced seemed off to me. I know I'm making a judgment off of one film, but I have no desire to see another directed by Jiang Wen.

I imagine I'll see it eventually

I feel ya, Jimbo, but I will watch just about any Chinese film that gets some international attention. I claim it's for my job, but in all truth, it's an addiction.

Bullets and Big Father to compete in Berlin
    Bullets and Big Father to compete in Berlin
    By Stephen Cremin

Wed, 14 January 2015, 22:00 PM (HKT)
    Festival News

JIANG Wen 姜文's Gone with the Bullets 一步之遙 and PHAN Đăng Di's Big Father, Small Father and Other Stories Cha vą con vą (pictured) will compete at the 65th Berlin International Film Festival (5-15 Feb 2015).

They are among eight films announced today, joining a competition lineup that includes new films by Peter GREENAWAY, Terrence MALICK, Jafar PANAHI and Werner HERZOG. Additional titles will be announced next week.

Gone with the Bullets is still on release in China where it has made RMB507 million (US$81.9 million) since opening on 18 Dec 2015. Jiang's films have previously competed at the Cannes and Venice festivals but not at Berlin.

Big Father, which participated in the Hong Kong Asia Film Financing Forum (HAF) 香港亞洲電影投資會 and the Berlinale Co-Production Market, is a recipient of the festival's World Cinema Fund. It is the first Vietnamese film to compete in Berlin.

The Berlin festival also announced three additional Asian titles in its Generations section: LI Ruijun 李睿珺's River Road 家在水草豐茂的地方, MATSUI Daigo 松居大悟's Wonderful World End ワンダフルワールドエンド and Kongdej JATURANRASMEE คงเดช จาตุรันต์รัศมี's documentary So Be It เอวัง.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips