Thread: BadAss DragonForm

Smile BadAss DragonForm

My own practice has always been strictly Southern boxing but I must admit, I find the Shoalin Dragon form Master in this video to be very inspiring in his display of mobility. Taiji move aside: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZE8-M65ZT8
    Last edited by PalmStriker; 12-09-2014 at 10:20 PM.

When it comes to gracefulness the Southern Dragon forms are no match for the Northern Shaolin style in previous post, WuDang has that flow also. Emei, not as much. Southern Style is very much a boxing style. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neM4Gxc-jhM

Form very similar to one in my own practice: https://sep.yimg.com/ay/yhst-9111664...g-sleeve-5.gif

Always liked Master Chen's stuff.
    As for Southern VS northern:
    Southern systems tend to be fight oriented and done in a way that the practitioner reaps benefits asap in both a practical fighting sense ( with proper training, ie: fighting) and the physical attibutes need to fight sooner rather than later: strength, speed, ability to take a hit in the body, etc.
    Northern systems tend to use forms to build attributes such as flexibility, speed, full ROM, etc that, while advantageous, tend to be, how can I put it? more "end game" than "first game".
    Of course this a a gross generalization.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Southern systems tend to be fight oriented and done in a way that the practitioner reaps benefits asap in both a practical fighting sense ( with proper training, ie: fighting) and the physical attibutes need to fight sooner rather than later: strength, speed, ability to take a hit in the body, etc.
    Northern systems tend to use forms to build attributes such as flexibility, speed, full ROM, etc that, while advantageous, tend to be, how can I put it? more "end game" than "first game".
    Of course this a a gross generalization.
    Good summary.

Having trained in two northern systems (Tanglangquan and Long Fist), I found the Long Fist to be far more abstract, at least where I learned it, even though the two systems are related. Many feel that it's necessary to have a base in Long Fist before learning other northern systems. The way it was taught, the Tanglang was much more clear in purpose and more immediately applicable for sparring/fighting. Which is why I favored the Tanglang.

Also having trained in two southern systems (CLF and Lung Ying), I can say that the teaching methods were very clear and emphasized immediate emphasis on application, compared to the Long Fist I learned. There's really VERY little that could be labeled as abstract.

Oddly enough, I learned more about the northern Long Fist applications in retrospect from the Tanglang and later, from my CLF. There are actually many things that Long Fist and CLF have in common.

Hopefully I haven't gone too far OT.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 12-11-2014 at 12:07 PM.

Thanks for making those distinction, guys. All under the umbrella of TCMA Kungfu which is under the umbrella of Chinese culture which gives good reason for the collaboration between many styles over the centuries.

This isn't a Dragon form, but this 90 year-old Hung Kuen master's form is impressive, IMO. I've never seen this particular Hung Kuen form before, and it looks like it has some dragon-like movements.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPEIyKXYqS0&sns=em

"The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk