Thread: The Best **Northern Seven Star** Praying Mantis Kung Fu DVDs/Books?

The Best **Northern Seven Star** Praying Mantis Kung Fu DVDs/Books?

I think it is an appropriate time to request that each of us in the Mantis community, who are passionate about learning the Northern Seven Star Praying Mantis Kung Fu system, begin to guide others on where to obtain the most valuable learning resources.

So, Seven Star Mantis folks... I humbly ask you: What are the HIGHEST quality and MOST authentic DVD training materials and books for someone like me, who has no direct access to a Seven Star Mantis Kung Fu school? I will start by listing what I believe to be the best learning resources for those who don't have the opportunity to train directly with a Sifu. First I will list the DVDs and then I will list the books I believe to be the best.

DVDs______________________

1. I have the entire MartialSkill DVD series (http://martialskill.com/northern-sev...-kung-fu-dvds/) and I am learning a lot from them. I highly recommend the entire DVD set, as well as the "online university" component (these are separate non-DVD lessons that teach you fundamental conditioning and stance work, and you pay to have online streaming access to them whenever you want).

2. I have the first two Seven Star Mantis DVDs by Sifu Jon Funk which cover Bong Bo (Crushing Step) and White Ape Exits Cave. They move at a fast pace for learning, but are quite detailed. I plan on obtaining the entire ESPY-TV DVD series by Sifu Jon Funk. The quality is great as far as DVDs go.

3. Additionally, I plan on obtaining the (3) DVDs by Lee Kam Wing: "Crushing Step," "Peach Flower Fist," and "Big Wheel Fist."

Books_______________________ ALL OF THESE CAN MOST LIKELY BE FOUND ON PLUMPUB.COM

1. Northern Mantis Intercepting Boxing by Yuan Man Kai - 73 pages (Lan Jie Intercepting Boxing form featured)

2. The Tang-Lang Praying Mantis Martial System - History and Introductory Forms Edited by James I. Wong - 90 pages (Four Directional Fist and Lan Jie Intercepting Boxing forms featured)

3. T'ai Chi Tanglang Killing FanPlay by Tse Wing Ming - 83 pages (Fan Weapon Form featured)

4. Tai Chi Mantis Volley-Catch Fist by Tse Wing-Ming & Yan Sang - 134 pages (Lan Jie Intercepting Fist Form featured)

5. Northern Mantis Black Tiger Intersectional Fist by Yuan Man-Kai - 72 pages (Black Tiger Intersectional Fist Form featured)

6. Tai Chi Mantis Peng Pu Chuan by Tse Wing-Ming - 85 pages (The rarer Tai Chi version of Beng Bu "Crushing Step" Form featured)

7. The Secret of Seven Star Praying Mantis by LEE KAM WING - 239 pages (Wooden Dummy Form featured, Iron Sand Palm training covered, Mantis Exits Cave and Black Tiger Crossing Forms featured)

8. SEVEN STAR MANTIS #1 by Lam Wing Kit & Ying Fun Fong - 96 pages (Da Fan Che (Big Turning Cart), Xiao Fan Che (Little Turning Cart) and Li Pi Quan (Strong Split Boxing) Forms featured)

9. SEVEN STAR MANTIS #2 by Lam Wing Kit & Ying Fun Fong - 96 pages (Da Jia Shi (Big Structure), Xiao Jia Shi (Little Structure) and Tang Lang Chui (Mantis Punch) Forms featured)

10. Seven Star Praying Mantis Kung Fu by Leung Ting - 194 pages (Wooden Dummy Form featured, and the principles and theories behind Mantis)

Let us not underestimate the immense value that can be obtained from reading books and studying illustrations, principles, and theories.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++

So... these are among the best resources for distance learning I have found.

I humbly request that all of us chip in and contribute some of our own findings! I apologize if this is a pointless task, trying to spread awareness of distance learning materials. I know that NOTHING can replace the value of a legitimate Sifu who is there to teach and guide you in person. But unfortunately, finding an authentic trainer in person is such a hard task for me.

P.S. I will provide direct links to all books and DVD series mentioned above. Feel free to PM me or post your question here and I will respond.

Best,

Jared
    Last edited by jared.a.rapp; 01-30-2015 at 11:33 AM.

I have heard nothing but goods things about Sifu funk.
    I have his DVD's on my wish list for the future.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I have heard nothing but goods things about Sifu funk.
    I have his DVD's on my wish list for the future.
    Yes, to be honest, as far as the breadth and depth of forms and instruction in Seven Star Mantis (including weapons, applications, and hand forms), his DVDs are perhaps the best resources one can get on video nowadays. I plan on getting his entire series. There are 17 DVDs available from Jon Funk. Check out the entire list here! http://www.mantiskungfu.com/learn_kung_fu_by_video.php

Paul Eng Praying Mantis DVD and Five Volumes

Sifu Paul Eng's DVD and five-book series (which are small but VERY detailed and clearly written) all have amazing reviews.

So, for SEVEN STAR Praying Mantis Kung Fu, there is one full-length DVD by Paul Eng that teaches Praying Mantis Steals the Peach very thoroughly, as well as a book for the same form. There is one book that teaches Bong Bo, and also the form Plum Blossom Hand (there are SEVERAL Plum Blossom forms in the Seven Star system, I am not sure which one this is specifically).

You can find Sifu Paul Eng's materials here: http://www.plumpub.com/sales/kungfu/collbk_Mantis2.htm

*** Please note: The five written volumes contain full explanations of how to do the following forms: Spear Hand, Bong Bo (Crushing Step), Mantis Steals the Peach, Plum Blossom Hand, Single Thrust Blossom. I believe all of these forms are Seven Star but I can't be sure, as Paul Eng has studied Tai Chi Mantis as well.***

For the purposes of this thread, "Praying Mantis Steals the Peach" (both the DVD and the book), "Bong Bo" (the book), and Plum Blossom Hand (the book) seem to all be excellent resources. I know for sure those forms are of the Seven Star Praying Mantis system, which is what this thread was originally intended to focus on. Maybe the "Spear Hand" and "Single Thrust Blossom" are also of the Seven Star system, but I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by jared.a.rapp View Post
    [...] someone like me, who has no direct access to a Seven Star Mantis Kung Fu school? I will start by listing what I believe to be the best learning resources for those who don't have the opportunity to train directly with a Sifu.
    Why don't you have an opportunity to train directly with a teacher?

I liked the videos of Al Cheng, Jon Funk's teacher. I refer my students to them for review when I am teaching them a Seven Star form.

They are still available here: http://www.secretsoftheorient.com/Praying%20Mantis.htm

Plum Pub has some great VCDs of Mainland Mantis: http://www.plumpub.com/sales/vcd-title.htm
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Good info in this thread, thanks.

People really underestimate youtube. If you know what to look for, or who to look for, you'd be surprised what you can find with some patience. Especially if you have access to the Chinese. I mean, I guess if there's a form you're absolutely jonesing to learn then dvd's are an alternative. But if you are absolutely out of luck in finding a teacher, I'd say go to the mantis terminology thread and start digging through all the stuff you can find on that with youtube. There's a reason that one got stickied.

Thanks for all of the great replies so far (and I'm happy to see so many views are on this thread as well!). And yes, if you have a particularly artistic/analytical eye that is very perceptive, YouTube can be considered a great resource for comparing and contrasting form execution and applications of techniques. I will agree with that. Be sure to look at not just the form's whole, but each individual part (start by observing the left foot, and then the right foot, then the left arm and hand, then the right arm and hand), and eventually combine them.

I would like to update you guys on the fact that I have ordered the first 12 DVDs from Sifu Jon Funk. The only criticism I have with the DVDs is that there are essentially no chapter selections on the DVDs, so you have to pretty much fast forward until you get to the part you want and keep rewinding and fast-forwarding, pausing, etc. Other than that, the DVDs are absolutely WONDERFUL in their content and quality. I really admire Sifu Jon Funk's skills and explanations. I highly recommend ordering the first 12 DVDs at least. You won't be disappointed. I plan on getting DVD number 13 next, which covers grappling/ground fighting techniques of Mantis -- something quite rare.

I hope you Seven Star Practitioners are falling more and more in love with this martial art like I am. It's truly wonderful and well-rounded. I can't wait to continue my studies.

*** SIDE NOTE: Someone had asked me why I cannot find access to a sifu... well, I have some amazing news. I will be moving back to my old residence in Georgia, USA next week, and I found a teacher who is about 40 minutes away! His name is Sifu Muntu Isom of the Chui Luen lineage (here is his website http://harmonizingfist.com/). Here is Sifu Isom doing Mantis Exits the Cave - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY83umZEa3k. I think I would get A LOT of value studying with him. Here is his lineage chart: (http://harmonizingfist.com/wp-conten...ew-Lineage.png). I am just very hesitant because I joined a Chinese Shaolin Center (the Shaolin Do system) many years ago under "Grandmaster" Sin Kwang The and -- well, if you don't know the story, I'm not going to type it here. Once hurt, twice shy, as they say... I have NO idea whether or not Sifu Muntu Isom is of the highest quality, and his execution of techniques seems to be a little different than what I have seen, however they are very fluid. I suppose I will have to make a "field trip" day for myself and observe his classes or something. If anyone could tell me some information about Sifu Isom I'd be grateful.

Here is some information about him actually that I found.

"Also refered to as Dr. Angelo Isom N.D.

Shifu Isom trained in New York City under shifu Raymond Ly and then under shifu Raymond Nelson (who were both friends). Shifu Isom lived with his master (Raymond Nelson) for about 5 years and practised under him for 13 years while continuing to train with shifu Chui Chuen Luen.

Shifu Raymond Nelson introduced shifu Muntu Isom to shifu Chui Chuen Luen in 1971. Shifu Isom studied under shifu Chui Chuen Luen until 1978 and then opened a shool in his name after moving to Atlanta, (Georgia, USA).

He teaches in Atlanta and is affiliated with the Authentic Kung-Fu Association headed by shifu Steve Cottrell.
    "

I do respect that he studied under Chui Chuen Luen directly so that's a huge relief I guess, in terms of authenticity. Perhaps I will check this guy out! Maybe he's the real deal... If that's the case, I will feel really fortunate. Seek and ye shall find.

Last edited by jared.a.rapp; 01-30-2015 at 11:37 AM.