Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jaycee Chan's PRC drug bust

Jaycee Chan's PRC drug bust

Jackie Chan's son Jaycee Chan caught in huge anti-drug crackdown

DateAugust 19, 2014 - 5:25AM 518 reading now

At odds with son: Hong Kong actor Jackie Chan.
    At odds with son: Hong Kong actor Jackie Chan. Photo: AFP

Beijing: Jaycee Chan, the son of kung fu mega-star Jackie Chan, has been arrested in Beijing on drug-related charges amid an anti-drug crackdown that has already netted thousands - including several celebrity scalps - in mainland China.

Beijing police confirmed on Monday that it had, acting on a tip-off, arrested the 32-year-old Chan on Thursday, along with his friend, 23-year-old Taiwanese movie star Kai Ko Chen-tung and other suspects.

Police said the bust, at Mr Chan’s home in Beijing’s Dongcheng district, uncovered more than 100 grams of marijuana, and that their urine tested positive for the drug.

News of their detention has caused a media sensation across Hong Kong, Taiwan and mainland China because of their high-profile, with Mr Ko in particular achieving popularity among younger audiences for his roles in You Are the Apple of My Eye and the Tiny Times franchise.

The younger Chan, who was brought up in Los Angeles and is also known as Fang Zuming, followed his father into the entertainment industry but has instead made more headlines for a string of box office failures and a reportedly fraught relationship with his dad.

In April 2011, the elder Chan revealed he had written his son out of his will, preferring instead, he said, to leave his wealth to charitable causes around the world.

“If he is capable, he can make his own money,” he told Singapore’s Channel NewsAsia. “If he is not, then he will just be wasting my money.”

Jackie Chan, who was appointed an official anti-drug ambassador by the Chinese government in 2009, has also previously pledged to report his son to police himself if he ever went astray, so he “gets sent to jail”.

The detention of Mr Chan and Mr Ko follows an announcement last week that 42 entertainment and performance agencies had struck an agreement, organised by the Beijing Trade Association for Performances, to boycott celebrities that take drugs. Popular actor Gao Hu, and screenwriter Ning Caishen, former panellist for popular dating show If You’re The One, have been among those arrested for drug offences in recent weeks.

But the broader context has been an edict from the central government, with President Xi Jinping calling for “forceful measures to wipe [drugs] out” just before the International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking on June 26.

In Beijing, drug-related arrests between April and August were up 35 per cent from the same period last year.

Anecdotal reports of random drug busts at popular nightspots in Beijing have circulated in recent weeks, including instances where patrons, including expatriates and foreign tourists, have been forced to provide urine samples on the spot.

In its statement on Monday, Beijing police said more than 7800 people had been arrested on drug-related offences citywide.

“The scale and power of this ongoing mass campaign against drugs is evident,” it said.

Drug use is particularly high in border regions including Guangxi and Yunnan where trafficking is prevalent. But usage in China is growing especially fast among younger people inland– official news agency Xinhua said 75 per cent of new drug users in 2013 were under the age of 35.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/jackie-c...#ixzz3AmLT1bBj
    Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    point sparring is a great way to train

Ouch.

Stupid Jaycee. This even made Forbes.

8/18/2014 @ 10:01PM
    Son Of Hong Kong Kung Fu Star Jackie Chan Nabbed In Beijing Pot Bust

A 32-year-old son of Chinese film icon Jackie Chan has been detained in Beijing after police found more than 100 grams of marijuana at his home, the government-published China Daily reported today.

The arrest of Jaycee Chan is part of a crackdown on drug use in the entertainment industry that has also netted actor Kai Ko of Taiwan, actor Guo Hu, and Zhang Mo, the son of actor Zhang Guoli, the newspaper said.

More than 7,800 people have been detained in a drug crackdown in Beijing this year, an over 70% increase from a year earlier, China Daily said, citing police. Beijing is the main hub for China’s booming entertainment business.

Jackie Chan, best known for his kung fu roles, in recent years has been prominent in government-connected events in China including the Shanghai Expo in 2010. He has also been a member of Forbes Asia’s “Heroes of Philanthropy” list.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Jackie apologizes

20 August 2014 Last updated at 11:11 ET
    Jackie Chan 'ashamed' over son Jaycee's drug arrest

Jackie Chan has starred in Hollywood films including Rush Hour and Shanghai Noon

Hollywood actor Jackie Chan has apologised over his son's arrest on drug-related charges, saying he feels "ashamed" and "sad".

Actor Jaycee Chan, 31, was detained on Thursday by Beijing police, who said more than 100 grams of marijuana were found at his home.

It came amid a crackdown on drugs which has already netted several celebrities.

Jackie Chan was named an official "Narcotics Control Ambassador" by Chinese police in 2009.

'Heartbroken'
    "With regards to the incident involving my son Jaycee, I am very angry and shocked," Jackie Chan said on his official account on Chinese microblogging site Sina Weibo.

"As a public figure, I am ashamed. As a father, I am very sad and his mother is heartbroken.

"I told Jaycee: if you have done something wrong, you must bear the consequences. As your father, I am willing to face the road ahead with you."

Police said marijuana was found at Jaycee Chan's home

The Hong Kong film star added that he "hoped young people would learn from Jaycee's lesson and avoid drugs", and apologised on Jaycee Chan's behalf.

'Forceful measures'
    Jaycee Chan and Taiwanese movie star Kai Ko, 23, were both detained on Thursday, with police saying they tested positive for marijuana.

Mr Chan was put under "criminal detention" for the suspected crime of "providing a shelter for others to abuse drugs", Beijing police said.

If convicted, he faces a maximum prison term of three years.

Mr Chan's management firm M'Stones International apologised on his behalf for the "social impact" caused and said they would "supervise his rehabilitation and help him return to the right path".

Last week, 42 artist management agencies in Beijing signed an agreement with police pledging not to recruit celebrities with reported drug use problems.

In June, Chinese President Xi Jinping called for "forceful measures" to tackle illegal drug use.
    It will be interesting to see how this one plays out.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

another weibo apology translation

Jackie Chan apologizes for his son via Weibo following drug arrests

Just 46 hours after Jackie Chan's son was arrested on charges of drug abuse, the actor apologized for his behavior via Weibo, ifeng News reports.

On his official Weibo account, Jackie Chan wrote:

First of all, I'd like to extend my thanks for everybody's concern. I was so angry and shocked to learn about my son Fang Zuming's issue. Being a public figure, I feel ashamed. Being a father, I feel heartbroken--and his mother feels more so. I hope that adolescents learn a lesson from Zuming and stay away from drugs.

At the same time, I'd like to say something to Zuming too. You did the wrong thing so you have to take responsibility. As your father, I am willing to face the path of your future with you.

At last, I wasn't able to teach my son well. I should take responsibility for that as well. I want to bow and apologize to the public for Zuming. Thanks all!"

According to ifeng video, Fang Zuming admitted to the police that he had been smoking weed since 2006, after trying it for the first time while he was in the Netherlands.

By Lucy Liu
    The more I think about it, the more this situation makes me sad. I can see how Jaycee always sought his father's approval. Just imagine what it must be like to be Jackie's son. And in the end, it's just a pot bust, which is still a big thing in some countries, but that tide is turning here in the U.S. I just saw Paul McCartney and I can't but be reminded of when he got busted in Japan for pot.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

This almost warrants its own thread now

Cannabiz: Jaycee Chan's list could decimate entertainment industry
    Staff Reporter
    2014-08-22
    10:50 (GMT+8)

Jacyee Chan, center, with Kai Ko, right. (Internet photo)

Hong Kong actor Jacyee Chan reportedly gave police a list of 120 entertainers, including three high-profile actors and singers, who have taken marijuana in China in the hope of obtaining a reduced sentence for his own arrest for using the drug earlier this week in Beijing

Chan, the son of action movie legend Jackie Chan, has been detained for using marijuana along with Taiwanese actor Kai Ko (Ko Chen-tung) and the list of names he has reportedly supplied could have a devastating effect on the entertainment industry in China and Taiwan, according to Taiwan's Apple Daily.

Hints were given regarding two men on the list, one is a good friend of Chan's, an singer whose name begins with the letter C. The other is an actor with a first name beginning with an H.

Prosecutors in Taipei are also reportedly investigating a dealer that supplied marijuana to 32 people in the entertainment industry, including models, hosts and singers.

Rumors have circulated that two other celebrities were caught using marijuana with Ko and Chan but avoided arrest due to family connections, reports our Chinese-language sister paper China Times.

Internet users said wealthy property developer Wang Li and singer and actor Cecilia Han were the other two and claimed their influential families have been trying to make the case disappear. Pu Baoyi, who works for Xinhua's weekly Oriental Outlook and state broadcaster CCTV, revealed on his microblog that the two names start with letters W and H.

Wang is the son of wealthy Australian Chinese businessman Wang Zhicai and stepson of prominent actor Wang Yan. He is a good friend of Jacyee Chan and known as one of the "Beijing playboys" along with Wang Xiaofei, Wang Yu and Wang Ke. Cecilia Han's grandfather was a senior official in the Chinese military. She broke her silence on Tuesday, saying that she has not updated her microblog since Aug. 14 because her grandmother passed away.

Chan appeared intoxicated at a party in a video Ko uploaded onto the internet in July this year. Two other popular actors Nicolas Tse and Chen Bolin were also in the video, raising suspicion that the two were also involved. Tse's agency has refuted his involvement and said the video was filmed to promote a TV show.

The video could also raise the number of celebrities entangled in the drug scandal dramatically since a source said the surveillance videos Chinese police obtained at the scene reveal many of their identities.

Ko is expected to be deported and face investigations by prosecutors in Taipei after his detention ends. Chan reportedly told police that he obtained the marijuana from another Taiwanese singer whose name starts with the letter F, who is a member of an underground band. Suffa Fei, a member of Taiwanese hip hop group Machi, was named the other marijuana source, according to Taiwan's Apple Daily.

Fei, son of retired Republic of China Navy admiral Fei Hung-po, has denied his involvement. The alleged man surnamed F was described as coming from a military family, invested in two nightclubs in Taipei and performing at nightclubs, concerts and parties where he meets many young people in showbiz or the offspring of wealthy families and prominent celebrities.
    This wouldn't even be a story in Hollywood.

22 August 2014 Last updated at 17:01 ET
    #BBCTrending: Where's Jaycee? Chan's arrest leads to viral video game

NATIONAL SEARCH FOR JAYCEE Can you spot Jaycee? The HTML game featuring the troubled star has gone viral

Troubled Hong Kong actor Jaycee Chan, more famously known as the son of martial arts legend Jackie Chan, has starred in a new video game after being arrested on drug-related charges.

The game called "The National Search for Jaycee" spread like wildfire on popular Chinese messaging app WeChat. The game is available to play online, and has been accessed more than 60 million times since being released on Tuesday.

The aim is to spot Jaycee amongst a sea of pictures of Kai Ko, a Taiwanese movie star who was arrested as part of the same operation.

"It's a great shame about his career but I had fun playing the game; it seemed pointless but proved to be very addictive," one WeChat user said. "Spot Jaycee? It's harder than finding Wally," said another.

Jackie Chan and his son Jaycee attend a commercial advertisement taping on 21 January, 2009 in Shanghai, China Could the scandal help mend alleged strains between Jackie and Jaycee?

Last week's arrests come amid an ongoing crackdown - or "people's war" - on narcotics, which has already led to the arrest of several Chinese celebrities. Artist management agencies across Beijing have signed an agreement with local police, pledging not to recruit celebrities with reported drug use problems. Illegal drug use has been on the rise in China since the 1980s, and drugs are now bought and sold on social networks.

The operation is just one strand of Chinese President Xi Jinping's aim to solve what he sees as four key problems facing the country - formalism, bureaucracy, hedonism and extravagance. Public displays of decadence, particularly amongst a newly rich elite, is reportedly a source of increasing discontent in the country.

While the fate of Jaycee's career remains unclear, Jackie Chan made a public apology on Chinese microblogging site Weibo, saying he felt "ashamed" and "sad" about his son's actions.

Reporting by Heather Chen
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

China says they won't hire drug users...

...but they'll go gaga over Hollywood stars like Robert Downey Jr. when he comes to promote a film...

Jackie Chan's Son May Never Work in Movies or TV Again After Drug Bust
    1:03 AM PST 08/28/2014 by Clifford Coonan

Sandy Huffaker/Invision for XX/AP Images
    Jackie Chan

Chinese entertainment industry figures say they won’t hire drug users

A spate of high-profile drug busts in the film community has prompted 16 leading film and TV companies to issue a joint statement saying they would not hire any stars involved in prostitution, gambling or drug abuse for their shows.

The move came after the detention of Jaycee Chan, son of veteran Hong Kong action star Jackie Chan, along with Taiwanese actor Ko Chen-tung after they were caught smoking marijuana at a foot massage parlor in Beijing.

A subsequent police search of a home reportedly belonging to Jackie Chan where Jaycee was staying recovered 100 grams of marijuana and the bust could mean the end of his acting career, certainly in the current environment.

The drugs crackdown is affecting many entertainment venues in Beijing particularly. Earlier this month, Beijing police raided 2 Kolegas, a bar and live music venue popular with the city’s expats and required patrons to take on-the-spot urine tests.

Australian journalist Stephen McDonnell who witnessed the bust said at least 10 people were arrested.

“We hold a zero-tolerance policy toward those who are involved in such misconduct and expect all stars and fellow workers in the business to be self-disciplined and strictly abide by the law,” read the statement, which was signed by companies including Hengdian World Studios and Century Great Dragon. All the companies are located in Jiangsu and Zhejiang provinces.

Earlier this month, the Beijing Trade Association for Performances and 42 Beijing performing-arts organizations signed an anti-drug commitment, promising not to hire any celebrities who used drugs for shows, according to a report in the Beijing Evening News. A number of industry figures have been detained in recent months for using drugs, including the screenwriter Chen Wanning who was known by his pen name Ning Caishen, and who tested positive for methamphetamine, police said.

Hong Kong actor Roy Cheung and mainland actor Gao Hu also fell foul of the dragnet, while director Zhang Yuan, was held for drug offenses at a Beijing railway station.

“The impact of the statement is limited for big-name stars who have a large number of fans and markets to make profits,” Ying Xiaoqiang, a Hangzhou-based media observer, told the Global Times newspaper.

Ying suggested the authorities issue a regulation that forbids stars involved in drug abuse from participating in any entertainment activities within a certain period, like five years, and also ban the broadcasting of their programs or films.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

apologies

Both the vids are Chinese platform and wouldn't embed so you'll have to follow the link if you really want to hear them.
    Jackie Chan's son Jaycee and actor Kai Ko held for marijuana abuse

Uh-oh. Jackie Chan’s 32-year-old son Jaycee and 23-year-old Taiwanese actor Kai Ko Chen-tung were allegedly arrested on charges of marijuana abuse in Beijing, according to Apple Daily.

Urine samples from both men tested positive for traces of marijuana, and they both openly admitted to smoking the greenery. Young Chan was reportedly charged with criminal detention for drug abuse and for allowing people to smoke while in his home, while Ko was detained for 14 days.

Police found 100 grams of marijuana at Jackie Chan’s villa in Beijing, where Jaycee was staying. They arrested a man surnamed Song for providing the green stuff for the two men the day after.

Rumors about the arrest of Kai Ko, a famous actor in You are the Apple of My Eye, began circulating on Weibo on August 17. An official statement made by Beijing Police yesterday confirmed the arrest of Chan and Ko.

It is reported that the two mens' fathers arrived in Beijing to settle their sons’ matters. Lucky boys.

The arrests have peaked special public interest, considering Jackie Chan and Ko are anti-drug ambassadors in China and Taiwan. Jackie Chan has yet to make a statement on the matter.

Jaycee Chan has been known to host parties at his place or at clubs with a number of well-known celebs on the guest list.

On the day of the incident, he and Ko were found smoking marijuana at his dad's villa with "un-flushed evidence" left by Ko in the toilet.

Management firms representing the men made public apologies regarding the matter, admitting that the two had been detained in Beijing.

According to Mainland Criminal Law, drug possession of over 50 grams could bring the holder (who's not Jackie Chan's son) a maximum penalty of life imprisonment.

"Apology" videos featuring Jaycee and Kai Ko were released in Beijing. They're very heartfelt.

Jaycee's admission:

Ko's apology:

[Image via Apple daily]
    [Video via v.qq.com]
    By Christy Lau
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Going to trial

Should I split this off into a separate thread? Looks like it'll be an ongoing drama for a while...
    China prosecutor approves arrest of Jackie Chan's son on drug charge
    BEIJING Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:57am EDT

Taiwan movie star Kai Ko, also known as Ko Chen-tung, attends a news conference after being released from a two-week detention by Beijing police, in Taipei August 30, 2014.
    CREDIT: REUTERS/PICHI CHUANG

(Reuters) - Chinese prosecutors have approved last month's arrest of Jaycee Chan, son of kung fu movie star Jackie Chan, after a suspected drugs offence, the state-owned Beijing News reported on Wednesday, meaning he can now be formally charged.

The younger Chan, a 32-year-old actor and singer, was arrested in Beijing after testing positive for marijuana and police said they found 100 grams of the drug at his home.

President Xi Jinping said in June that China would "harshly crack down" on narcotics, state media reported.

Action and comedy star Jackie Chan, 60, served as a goodwill spokesman for the China National Anti-Drug Committee in 2009, state media reported, promoting anti-drug education.

China has detained a string of other mostly B-list celebrities in recent months on drug-related charges, cases that have been publicized widely in both state and social media. They have included movie and television stars, film directors and a prominent screenwriter.

Drug-related crimes carry harsh penalties in China including death or life imprisonment in serious cases.

A lawyer told the Beijing News the younger Chan, if found guilty, could be jailed for about three years.

Illegal drugs, especially synthetic substances like methamphetamine, ketamine and ecstasy, have grown in popularity in China in tandem with the rise of a new urban class with greater disposable income.

A commentary published Wednesday in the Global Times, a popular tabloid published by the official People's Daily, said celebrities should not expect leniency from the government or the public after sex or drug scandals.

"Western celebrities like Kobe Bryant and Hugh Grant were embraced by fans again after they were hit by scandals, causing an illusion among Chinese entertainers that they could be as lucky as Bryant and Grant," the commentary said. "However, Chinese entertainment figures are subjected to higher standards of morality than their Western counterparts."

Film director Wang Quan'an was detained on Monday on suspicion he solicited prostitutes.

(Reporting by Megha Rajagopalan; Editing by Nick Macfie)

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Babi Food

This might be a bonus for Babi Food, but then again, there's that ol' Jackie Chan endorsement curse....

Jackie Chan steps in to replace his arrested son Jaycee as a celeb spokesman
    Published on Sep 23, 2014 6:25 PM

Jaycee Chan (left) with his parents, former actress Lin Feng-jiao and action superstar Jackie Chan (right), in 2012 at Lin's 60th birthday party. -- PHOTO: ONE HOUSE

Hong Kong - You have heard of the sins of fathers being visited upon sons.

But now action superstar Jackie Chan seems to have it the other way around, and has replaced his son, actor Jaycee, as the celebrity spokesman for Chinese company Babi Food, said Ming Pao Daily News today.

Jaycee, who is under arrest in Beijing after a drug bust in his apartment last month, made an appearance as a spokesman for the company in March, said the report.

When Chan celebrated his 60th birthday in April, Jaycee presented him with longevity buns by the company.

But Chan is now the face in Babi's new posters, which appeared in Shanghai recently, said Ming Pao.

There is talk that he has stepped in to compensate the company for its loss.

Certainly, the appearance of a superstar in its advertisement is a win for Babi, which sells breakfast snacks as lowly priced as 1 yuan, said the report.

Last week, Chinese prosecutors approved the arrest of Jaycee, 31, which means he can now be formally charged. The police said they found more than 100g of marijuana in his home.

The arrest has been an embarrassment for Chan, who once served as a spokesman for the China National Anti-Drug Committee, promoting anti-drug education.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I decided to poach this into its own separate thread.

This was formerly part of the Jackie-Chan-scandals thread.

Jackie Chan's son prosecuted on drug charge
    English.news.cn 2014-12-22 17:28:01

Jaycee Chan (Xinhuanet file photo)

BEIJING, Dec. 22 (Xinhua) -- Jaycee Chan, son of Chinese kung fu star Jackie Chan, was prosecuted in Beijing on Monday for allegedly providing a venue for drug users, according to the People's Procuratorate of Beijing's Dongcheng District.

The prosecution came three months after he was formally arrested following a drugs bust at his residence in the capital.

On Aug. 14, Beijing police detained multiple people for drug offences, including Jaycee Chan and Taiwan movie star Ko Chen-tung.

Chan and Ko Chen-tung tested positive for marijuana and both admitted to taking the drug. Police seized more than 100 grams of marijuana at the junior Chan's home.

Ko Chen-tung was released on Aug. 29 after 14 days of administrative detention.

In Beijing, a number of celebrities have been detained by police on drugs charges.
    Jackie Chan's Son, Jaycee, Indicted on Drug Charge in China

Jaycee Chan: Jackie Chan's Son Indicted -- Facing 3 Years

Jaycee Chain and Jackie Chan (inset)
    ChinaFotoPress/Getty (2)

By Associated Press
    12/22/2014 AT 02:30 PM EST

Chinese prosecutors on Monday indicted the son of Hong Kong action film star Jackie Chan on the charge of sheltering others to use drugs, more than four months after he was detained.

If convicted, singer-actor Jaycee Chan could be jailed for up to three years.

Chan, 32, was among a string of celebrities detained over the summer for vices such as drug use and hiring prostitutes, as Beijing vowed to clean up social morals.

Chan's case has been particularly embarrassing for his more famous father, who was named by Beijing as an anti-drug ambassador in 2009.

Beijing police detained the younger Chan at his Beijing apartment in August along with Taiwanese movie star Ko Kai. Police said Chan and Ko both tested positive for marijuana and admitted using the drug, and that 100 grams (3.5 ounces) of it were taken from Chan's home.

Ko, whose real name is Ko Chen-tung, was released after a 14-day administrative detention for the drug use, but Chan – who has remained in detention since August – is faced with the more serious criminal charge.

State broadcaster CCTV in August aired video of the police raid on Chan's apartment, in which Chan was shown identifying marijuana. Ko testified on camera that he had used drugs at Chan's home.

Chan has never publicly contested the charge, and his father has openly apologized over his detention.

"Regarding this issue with my son Jaycee, I feel very angry and very shocked," Jackie Chan wrote on his website in August. "As a public figure, I'm very ashamed. As a father, I'm heartbroken."

He continued: "I would like to take this opportunity to say to Jaycee: you've done something wrong and you have to be responsible for the consequences," he wrote. "I'm your dad and I'll always be with you. We will face the road ahead of us together. I should also take some of the responsibility because as his dad, I didn't teach him well. Therefore, on behalf of Jaycee and myself, I extend our deepest apologies to everyone for the negative impact this has caused on society."

Prosecutors from Beijing's Dongcheng District announced the indictment in a one-line statement that did not mention when a trial would be held.

In June, Chinese President Xi Jinping declared that illegal drugs should be wiped out and that offenders should be severely punished. The crackdown snared more than 7,800 people in Beijing alone, according to police, and celebrities were targeted because of their influence over the public.

Jaycee Chan has appeared in several films and has released three albums.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jackie ashamed

Jackie Chan shamed by son's drug use
    English.news.cn 2014-12-24 22:47:33

Chinese star Jackie Chan (Xinhuanet file photo)
    BEIJING, Dec. 24 (Xinhua) -- With his son's drug charges generating headlines, Chinese star Jackie Chan said he felt shamed of his son's behavior and that he hopes his son will behave in the future.

On Monday, Jackie Chan's son Jaycee Chan was prosecuted in Beijing for allegedly providing a venue for drug users, according to the People's Procuratorate of Beijing's Dongcheng District.

The prosecution came three months after he was formally arrested following a drugs bust at his residence in the capital.

"I hope that in the future, he could become an anti-drug spokesman and tell his experiences to young people," Jackie Chan said in an exclusive interview with Xinhua on Wednesday.

He also said that he never used any connections to help Jaycee Chan out.

On Aug. 14, Beijing police detained multiple people for drug offences, including Jaycee Chan and Taiwan movie star Ko Chen-tung.

Chan and Ko Chen-tung tested positive for marijuana and both admitted to taking the drug. Police seized more than 100 grams of marijuana at the junior Chan's home.

Ko Chen-tung was released on Aug. 29 after 14 days of administrative detention.

Following Jaycee Chan's detention, Jackie Chan released a statement on microblog Sina Weibo, saying he was "angered and shocked" by the news.

"As Jaycee's father, I feel ashamed and heartbroken. I hope that teenagers will draw lessons from Jaycee and stay away from drugs," read the statement.

Editor: Tian Shaohui
    Being an anti-drug spokesman is really all that's left for Jaycee if he plans to remain in the public eye after this. Either that or immigrating to a less restrictive country.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Was Jaycee ever much of a star at all? Besides being Jackie's son? I've only seen him in one movie and wasn't impressed. Except for looking like a pre-Snake in the Eagle's Shadow Jackie, there really wasn't anything that made me think, 'I'd like to see this guy working in more films.'

Trial begins Friday

This sounds like it's going to be a circus spectacle.
    Jackie Chan's son Jaycee to be tried in public over drug charge
    Published on Jan 6, 2015 12:20 PM

Hong Kong actor Jaycee Chan arrives at the Hong Kong Film Awards in this April 19, 2009 photo. Chan, who was arrested over drugs last August, will stand trial in Beijing on drug charges this week. -- PHOTO: REUTERS

BEIJING (Reuters) - Jaycee Chan, the son of kung fu movie star Jackie Chan, will stand trial on Friday on a drugs charge, media reported on Tuesday, the latest in a series of minor celebrities accused of narcotics offences.

The microblog post from the semi-official newspaper, Legal Evening News, said the younger Chan, a 32-year-old actor and singer, would be tried in Eastern District Court in Beijing in a case that will be closely watched by the Chinese people.

He was formally charged last month with "the crime of sheltering others to take drugs" after testing positive for marijuana, with police saying they found 100 gms of the drug at his home.

Calls to the Eastern District Court went unanswered.

Jaycee Chan is among a string of other mostly B-list celebrities detained last year by Chinese authorities on drug-related charges that have been publicised widely in both state and social media.

They have included movie and television stars, film directors and a prominent screenwriter. Jaycee Chan was nabbed on Aug 14 in Beijing along with Taiwan actor Kai Ko, who also tested positive for marijuana.

Their detentions came amid a campaign by China's Ministry of Public Security to get tough on drugs, gambling and prostitution.

It is highly likely that Jaycee Chan will be found guilty as convictions are nearly certain in Chinese courts, which are controlled by the ruling Communist Party.

Drug crimes carry harsh penalties in China, including death or life imprisonment in serious cases.

The maximum sentence for providing a venue for drug users, according to Chinese law, is three years in prison and a fine, reported Xinhua news agency.

Illegal drugs, especially synthetic substances like methamphetamine, ketamine and ecstasy, have grown in popularity in China in tandem with the rise of a new urban class with greater disposable income.

Last month, state media reported that Jackie Chan felt ashamed of his son's drug abuse and hoped that one day he would speak out about the dangers of taking drugs. The older Chan had served as a goodwill spokesman for the China National Anti-Drug Committee in 2009, promoting anti-drug education.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

6 months, 2000 yuan

That's just a slap on the wrist.
    Jackie Chan's son gets six months in jail for drug offense
    English.news.cn | 2015-01-09 12:27:43 | Editor: Mioh Song

Jaycee Chan (C) stands trial at the Dongcheng District People's Court in Beijing, capital of China, Jan. 9, 2015. Jaycee Chan, son of kung fu star Jackie Chan, was sentenced to six months in jail on Friday for drug offenses in Beijing. (Xinhua)

BEIJING, Jan. 9 (Xinhua) -- Jaycee Chan, son of Chinese kung fu star Jackie Chan, was sentenced to six months in jail on Friday for drug offenses at the Dongcheng District People's Court in Beijing.

The court also fined Jaycee 2,000 yuan (326 U.S. dollars) after convicting him of providing a venue for drug users.

The trial started at 9:30 a.m. Friday. Jaycee, dressed in sportswear, confessed to allowing others to take drugs four times in his home between 2012 and 2014.

In court, Jaycee said he deserved punishment because he violated the law. He said he would never repeat the mistake, and that he hoped to be forgiven by the public.

On Aug. 14, 2014, Beijing police arrested a suspected drug user surnamed Sun in a foot massage parlor and took three others for questioning, including Jaycee Chan and Taiwan movie star Ko Chen-tung, who were accompanying Sun. Jaycee confessed to the crime.

Jaycee Chan and Ko Chen-tung tested positive for marijuana and both admitted to having used the drug. Police seized 117.7 grams of marijuana in the bedroom of Jaycee's house.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

To be freed on Valentine's Day

Jackie Chan says he will not be in Beijing to welcome son when the actor leaves prison
    PUBLISHED ON FEB 4, 2015 9:40 AM

Actor Jaycee Chan attends a trial at a court in Beijing on Jan 9, 2015. Actor Jackie Chan says he and his wife will not be in Beijing to welcome their son Jaycee when he leaves prison. -- PHOTO: REUTERS

HONG KONG - When Jaycee Chan steps out of jail in Beijing next week, his parents Jackie Chan and Lin Feng-jiao will not be there to welcome him, the action superstar says.

Jaycee will be freed on Feb 14 in time for Chinese New Year after serving a six-month sentence for a drug offence.

But when told of the rumour that his 32-year-old son is likely to be released on the morning of Valentine's Day, Jackie Chan, 60, said he did not even know the date of Valentine's Day, reported Ming Pao Daily News.

He is stupid and only discovered lately that Christmas Day falls on Dec 25, he explained.
    This is just the teaser of the article. You have to subscribe to read the whole story.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips