Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Iron Palm experts...

Iron Palm experts...

Moderate/minor skin abrasions and bruises. Is it best to temporarily stop training until the injuries heal?

Thanks

Bruises are commonplace, that is what the jow is for (bruise wise) BUT cuts and abrasions you have to be careful as getting some types of Jow into your blood can be dangerous and typical IP Jow is the type that you do NOT want getting into your blood.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by Keith76 View Post
    Moderate/minor skin abrasions and bruises. Is it best to temporarily stop training until the injuries heal?

Thanks
    If you want something that works well for both bruises and abrasions, try good old Corn Husker's Lotion. If you have internal bleeding, like large bruising, best give it a few days rest.
    Jackie Lee

Thanks
    As stated, you don't want dit da jow getting into cuts. It could cause problems.
    For bruising, that is what the dit da is for.

If in pain, take a rest. Review the material. there should not be pain in your training of IP
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Thanks
    Are the "abrasions" from iron palm breaking or bag training? Are the "abrasions" tears in the skin deep enough to bleed? Can you provide a picture? Do you use healing type herbs with training?
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Hi, new here. First post. If jow is potentially dangerous. Is it even needed for iron palm training?

I've read some say yes and some say now. I have James Sinclaires Wing Chun videos. And he said even brandy is usable. Something about jow is primarily used to dry the skin. Ive read others say it is for circulation. Ive read one guy say Absorbine is about the same as jow.

So, jow or no jow for Iron Palm training?

Quote Originally Posted by boxerbilly View Post
    Hi, new here. First post. If jow is potentially dangerous. Is it even needed for iron palm training?

I've read some say yes and some say now. I have James Sinclaires Wing Chun videos. And he said even brandy is usable. Something about jow is primarily used to dry the skin. Ive read others say it is for circulation. Ive read one guy say Absorbine is about the same as jow.

What do you think?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolff%27s_law

http://www.clinchem.org/content/45/8/1353.full

Jow is crucial and not just ANY Jow but jow designed for iron Palm training.
    I have experimented with and without Jow and, even though this is anecdotal of course, the difference were quite noticeable:
    With IP JOW:
    Healing / recovery was faster
    Deformation/swelling was not noticeable
    Sensitivity was not compromised
    Circulation increased.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Jow is crucial and not just ANY Jow but jow designed for iron Palm training.
    I have experimented with and without Jow and, even though this is anecdotal of course, the difference were quite noticeable:
    With IP JOW:
    Healing / recovery was faster
    Deformation/swelling was not noticeable
    Sensitivity was not compromised
    Circulation increased.
    Crucial may be a bit more strong of a word than I'd use. But beneficial, yes. Highly recommended, yes.

Physiologically, the effects on the body aren't unique to IP training, its just more focusing on that result. How were you parameterizing your results? Maybe a couple more here could attempt to reproduce it if interested. If I can convince about 10 of you then I'll run some stats in a couple years and see if I can't work a publication. I'll give yall co-authorship, of course

If jow is potentially dangerous. Is it even needed for iron palm training?
    Martial arts practice is potentially dangerous. If you want to train, you will exposure yourself to some level of danger. Take precautions.

You can get Grandmaster Tao's 12 Herb Soak (used for Iron training) here.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I didn't use it for decades. Then began using it and have used it for about ten years. I really don't see any difference based on my experience.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Thank you very much fellows. Appreciated. Thanks for the links.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCo KungFu View Post
    Crucial may be a bit more strong of a word than I'd use. But beneficial, yes. Highly recommended, yes.

Physiologically, the effects on the body aren't unique to IP training, its just more focusing on that result. How were you parameterizing your results? Maybe a couple more here could attempt to reproduce it if interested. If I can convince about 10 of you then I'll run some stats in a couple years and see if I can't work a publication. I'll give yall co-authorship, of course
    I used crucial because, well, without it your progress will be hampered. It will go slower and you could damage your hands.
    With Jow I never had to take any time off because of bruising or pain.
    With Jow my hands don't look banged up and whatnot.
    Its not that you can't do IP without it, you most certainly can BUT your progress will be slower and you will lose time due to bruising and your hands will be more "marked".

Now, I had done old school karate conditioning for years before I started IP and my hands showed it BUT after a couple of years of IP and using the jow, my hands became far better.

Sure there are some tell tale signs still but nothing like it was before.

I have noticed that the people that use the same type of Jow that I use, their hands are also pretty good (Chicoine's students come to mind), we don't have the "swollen" or "deformed" look that some IP people have.
    I believe that has to do with the Jow.

Sanjuro, do you follow Chicoines IP methods? If so, did you train with him, or one of his students? Or , through his IP video?