Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Iron Palm experts...

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    breaking bricks isnt important, u need to find a force meter thing and see if you can consistently produce knock out force with punch
    Context is everything.
    Breaking can help gauge your progression and, as David mention, can be an eye opener in regards to how much force you need to break.
    Of course not all bricks and slabs and breaks are created equal.

I have had used various force meters in the past, some of the industrial type ( benefits of being an Mech. Eng) and even those used in crash test dummies.

Based on what I have done and seen others do, almost EVERYONE can generate enough force to KO or hurt anyone else WITHOUT IP training ( kind of obvious when you think about it of course).

The only advantage I see IP practitioners having is when they hit where they are "not suppose" to hit.
    Iv' done IP for close to 10 years now and notice that I hit harder simply because I am less worried about hitting and I also notice that I feel a sense of "heaviness" in my hands that seems to translate into more depth in my strikes.
    Of course I have always had "heavy hands" so...
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

From my current vantage point. That's what I see. It increases the density of the bones in your hands. Making them less prone to break and as suggested may help remove any mental block about pulling back instead of speeding through. I realize this must be at its most basic level. Just making the hands more durable. Those selective breakers got something else going on.

For me, I was just impressed when I saw Allen's girls bust all that block. Prior to that I don't think I really considered it since I was 13 or something. As many have said, it is not all that great if you cant get into position to use it. A car with no gas. Im fairly certain all here can get into position regardless what they learned. So it boils down to, are you willing to commit to the training.

I can't say I am ready, yet. Still in the I need to find out more stage.

Advanced training in IP is done on a hanging bag to learn how to hit people.

unless you pull people down and hit them you need to learn how to hit people that are upright and moving.
    Dr. Dale Dugas
    Hakka Mantis
    Integrated Eskrima
    Pukulan Cimande Pusaka Sanders

All for Use
    Nothing for Show

Thanks Dale. Ive read some of your old posts in the past. As well as some other people who impressed me with their knowledge.

Dale, I have read, I can't recall where. Some suggested that even training like every other day will bring results. But most say everyday and some a couple of times a day. You personally may not be able to comment on every other day if you never did that. Just was wondering your thoughts or anyone else's would be appreciated too.

I was taught 2 times per day for a year and then another year of once a day.

This was the foundational training period. After that you can train it a few days a week.
    Dr. Dale Dugas
    Hakka Mantis
    Integrated Eskrima

All for Use
    Nothing for Show

I still train my hands. I do not overtrain them. I needle people for a living, but can apply it.
    Dr. Dale Dugas
    Hakka Mantis
    Integrated Eskrima

All for Use
    Nothing for Show

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    The only advantage I see IP practitioners having is when they hit where they are "not suppose" to hit.
    Iv' done IP for close to 10 years now and notice that I hit harder simply because I am less worried about hitting and I also notice that I feel a sense of "heaviness" in my hands that seems to translate into more depth in my strikes.
    Of course I have always had "heavy hands" so...

Absolutely, same for conditioning shins....you don't need to condition them to kick someone in the thigh or the ribs, you need to condition them for when you catch a knee, elbow or another shin....
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

training 2 times a day for a well fed and rested man or someone who absolutely needs hard hands right away like a gangster

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    training 2 times a day for a well fed and rested man or someone who absolutely needs hard hands right away like a gangster
    There are two types of hand conditioning and the above is why.

Some people had the time and luxury to do it "slow and easy" and develop the skill with little or no ill effects.
    However, for those that wanted it "right now", the so-called "external method" was used and the signs were obvious ( think the calloused hands of an old school Karateka).
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Greetings,

When I trained palm it was with the purpose of making the hand resistant to injury when striking. Back then, breaks were not about showing off. It was more of a personal marker of progress. It was done privately. Back then, you did not even talk about what you do nor dare talk about what you could do with it.

mickey

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Greetings,

When I trained palm it was with the purpose of making the hand resistant to injury when striking. Back then, breaks were not about showing off. It was more of a personal marker of progress. It was done privately. Back then, you did not even talk about what you do nor dare talk about what you could do with it.

mickey

Reading your post from larger perspective. It is a main cause for holding peoples growth back. Closed minds.

Greetings Billy,

Will you elucidate more on that? Because I sure did not see that with my post. I was referring to those who train palm and show off with it. .

mickey

Sure. Sorry for the confusion. This part specifically. "Back then, you did not even talk about what you do nor dare talk about what you could do with it."

That statement could be correlated to mean: don't be so open. Don't share. Etc. Something that plagues us.

Not specifically in the context you used it. Regarding your IP skills. Personally, I have no problems with people showing off. Breaks of whatever you are good at. We pay people for their ability to show off in other fields.

Hi Billy,

It is more like: don't be so open; don't brag.

NYC is a very different animal. People did not train the arts so they could spin in the air and land in a split. You were more likely to be arrested for using the arts to defend yourself than the guy attacking you with a crowbar.

mickey