Thread: Kingsman: The Secret Service

Kingsman: The Secret Service

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Forgot I posted this.

I stumbled on this post when working on my HITMAN: AGENT 47: I Am Not a Number. I Am a Free Man review.

Here is a very belated first forum review: I was amused. The church fight was beautifully choreographed. And I was pleased by the Guinness product placement; the McDonald's placement not so much. Firth, Caine and Jackson were great. And the main henchgal was unique. But I predicted every plot device just prior to its deployment so I wasn't blown away by any means. Although I'd watch a sequel, especially if it cast an ex-Bond, like Dalton or Brosnan.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Kingsman 2

Am I the only one here who saw this? Srsly? It's worth it just for the Church fight.

FEBRUARY 17, 2016 8:50am PT by Borys Kit
    Julianne Moore Circling Villain Role for 'Kingsman 2' (Exclusive)
    Taron Egerton ("Eddie the Eagle") is starring in the sequel to Fox's surprise hit.

Julianne Moore Getty Images

Taron Egerton ("Eddie the Eagle") is starring in the sequel to Fox's surprise hit.
    Julianne Moore is in talks to play the villain in The Kingsman 2, the sequel to the Fox surprise hit that starred Colin Firth and Taron Egerton.

Matthew Vaughn is back in the director’s chair for the continuing adventures of a wayward tough (Egerton) from the wrong side of London who is taken in by a suave and sophisticated agent (Firth) and, a la Pygmalion, is turned into the best and brightest of operatives.

Egerton is back with the action said to move from London to the States.

Firth is not due to come back at this stage (his character died in the first movie and there was initial talk of finding ways to return the actor to the roll call, whether via flashback or even a twin brother, but those ideas were discarded, according to sources).

Details for Moore’s character were not revealed but it is understood that she will be the piece’s bad guy, if a deal makes. The Oscar-winning actress is juggling several projects, including Todd Haynes’ adaptation of kids book Wonderstruck, and scheduling conflicts could be one obstacle.

The movie is heading toward a May start for what will be a summer shoot.

Moore, who won an Oscar last year for Still Alice, last appeared The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 2 as the scheming President Coin.

She is repped by CAA.

I copied this post for a new thread for the sequel: Kingsman-The-Golden-Circle
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Lawsuit

At least it's not another sexual harassment case.

FEBRUARY 12, 2018 5:27pm PT by Ashley Cullins
    Fox Sued by Screenwriter Who Claims 'Kingsman' Stole His Story

Photofest

Dog companions, holograms and overcoming humble origins to achieve greatness are among the similarities alleged.

Fox is being sued by a screenwriter who claims Kingsman: The Secret Service is based on his work, not on the eponymous comic series from a Marvel imprint.

R. Spencer Balentine claims the spy hit is based on a 2003 screenplay he wrote titled The Keepers. He says he entered the project into a screenwriting contest in 2004; it placed in the top 10, which meant his work was considered for adaptation as a comic book by Dabel Brothers Productions. Dabel and Marvel in 2006 entered into a publishing and distribution agreement, according to the complaint, which he claims gave Marvel access to his work.

Balentine claims the Kingsman screenwriters gained access to his work and used his ideas for their film.

"The Film is purported to be based on a comic book series originally entitled The Secret Service, first published in 2012 by Icon Comics (a division of Marvel) and written by Mark Millar," writes attorney Steven Lowe in the complaint. "However, several key aspects of the Film do not appear in The Secret Service comic that do appear in [Balentine's] Screenplay; for example, in the comic, there is no reference to Knights of the Round Table, no small dog companion to the protagonist, no use of holograms, and the general theme of the comic is about public service rather than an individual overcoming humble origins to achieve greatness."

The writer claims the film's protagonists, mentors and antagonists all share striking similarities to his creations, ranging from upbringing and beverage choice to disdain for humanity and vulnerability to panic attacks.

He also claims the screenplay and film have substantially similar plots, including candidacy for membership in an elite secret organization, the kidnapping of state dignitaries and hologram-assisted meetings.

Balentine is seeking damages of at least $5 million. Fox has not yet replied to a request for comment on the complaint, which is posted below.
    Follow the link if you want to see the complaint.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips