Thread: Steven Seagal does Traditional Northern Chinese Martial Arts

Steven Seagal does Traditional Northern Chinese Martial Arts

Greetings,

It is really nice to see that there is not one challenge to what I posted and shared.

We are making progress.

mickey

Not sure that is the "progress" we want to make.

I really like this guy's chin na videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D0lOE6ZUIo

Quote Originally Posted by sirdude View Post
    I really like this guy's chin na videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D0lOE6ZUIo

Greetings sirdude,

What you have linked to is a very high risk for failure chin na move, given the way it is being presented. I would not use it. It is easy to stop it in its tracks.

mickey

Hi Mickey,

Which move in particular are you referencing? The video in question doesn't single out a move it's talking about a concept that applies to multiple moves.
    I just watched it again to see if I could see what you were talking about and I see a number of moves.
    I'm wondering if you are talking about the first one which is pretty standard but he doesn't really lock the elbow.

Is that what you are talking about?

Thanks.

Greetings sirdude,

I could not find use in any aspect of the presentation whether it be technical or conceptual. Good chin na requires a really good claw to begin with, whether it be eagle, dragon, etc. Additionally, though you may attack a body part, the goal is to control the body for purposes of immobilization or destruction. Sensitivity comes with practice. Application is a different animal. You cannot finesse it. I have done apprehensions a few times. Regardless of hold, I looked to control the body and the hand strength was always there. I did not look for points of discomfort to control the person. If anything, the person's attempt to get out of the hold causes the discomfort. If you want to provide discomfort, strike the person, if necessary. Then lock 'im up good.

mickey