Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jason Bourne

Jason Bourne

...this thread isn't linked to our other Bourne thread - the one on Ultimatum.

BREAKING: Matt Damon In Negotiations To Return As Jason Bourne
    Todd Brown, Founder and Editor

Is Jason Bourne making a comeback on the big screen? Universal is working hard to make it happen, with Twitch learning that the studio is in simultaneous negotiations with both Matt Damon and director Paul Greengrass for both to return to the Bourne franchise. We're told Damon is only interested if Greengrass is directing so there are clearly a lot of moving parts here but if all comes together we could be seeing the return of the director and star of one of the strongest American action franchises of recent years.

And what, praytell, does this mean for Jeremy Renner and his Aaron Cross character? It's not an either / or scenario between Renner and Bourne with Universal planning to continue with the Aaron Cross stream of Bourne films regardless of what happens on the Damon front, with potential crossover / merger of the character's stories to be sorted out if and when Damon signs back up.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Poached for its own thread

I just poached this off our Bourne Legacy thread.

]Matt Damon and Jeremy Renner Will Not Meet in Next Bourne
    By Max Evry ON
    January 9, 2015

Those expecting a Jason Bourne/Aaron Cross-crossover in the Untitled Next Bourne Chapter will be sorely disappointed, as series producer Frank Marshall told Collider that Matt Damon and Jeremy Renner’s superspies will not have a rendezvous in the new film.

“We don’t have plans for that,” he said. “You never know. I never say never. But that’s not the plan. They’re on separate tracks.”

“Separate tracks” indicates that there are still plans percolating for Renner’s Cross of The Bourne Legacy to return, though likely not with originally-attached Justin Lin directing as he has moved on to Star Trek 3 at Paramount. Although both Damon and Renner have spoken optimistically about teaming up, the fact is Aaron Cross was a creation of screenwriter Tony Gilroy, and if missives in the press are to be believed, there is no love lost between he and Damon and Greengrass, so they will likely do whatever they can to distance themselves from the spinoff series.

Matt Damon returns to his most iconic role as Jason Bourne in the fifth installment of Universal Pictures’ “Bourne” franchise. Acclaimed director Paul Greengrass (The Bourne Ultimatum, Captain Phillips) also returns for this much-anticipated chapter, and Frank Marshall again produces alongside Jeffrey Weiner for Captivate Entertainment. Greengrass, Damon and Greg Goodman also produce.

The action-thriller is written by Greengrass, Damon and Christopher Rouse, and will be released by Universal on July 29, 2016
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

In Theaters July 29, 2016

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Sometimes you just gotta punch someone in the face !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Yeah. I'll be seeing this.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Jason Bourne - Official Trailer (HD)

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Fachezell my nezell !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Bourne in China

Damon is HUGE in China. I wouldn't be surprised if this new Bourne film goes to a China location. If it doesn't, the next installment must.

‘Jason Bourne’ Set For August Release in China
    Patrick Frater
    Asia Bureau Chief

Jason Bourne COURTESY OF UNIVERSAL
    JULY 13, 2016 | 07:24PM PT

“Jason Bourne” is set to get a theatrical release in China on Aug 23. It will be only the second film in the “Bourne” franchise to open in China.

Universal confirmed the Middle Kingdom release for “Bourne” via Chinese social media and in emails with Variety.

Star, Matt Damon has already toured parts of Asia – with stops including Australia and Korea – ahead of the scheduled end of July releases across much of the region. But the studio is also planning a significant junket in Beijing on Aug. 15-16 with Damon expected to be in attendance.

The only previous film in the franchise to release in China was “The Bourne Legacy” in Oct. 2012.

Previous reports had suggested that “Jason Bourne” would release in early September. However, dates for summer releases have been uncertain for weeks.

Normally Hollywood films are not permitted revenue sharing releases in China at the height of summer as the film industry regulators typically carve out several weeks when only Chinese-language or flat fee imports are allowed. These ‘blackout periods’ are used to ensure that Chinese films end the year with a majority share of the box office. However, after a weak second quarter this year, regulators appear to be allowing greater flexibility.

Universal has also been approved to give a release to animation “The Secret Life of Pets” on Aug. 3.

Damon is popular in China. He was star of “The Martian,” which was a major hit in the country in 2012, with a box office of $94 million at historic rates of exchange. Damon also spent several weeks in the country last year shooting Zhang Yimou’s “The Great Wall” for Legendary Entertainment and Universal.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jason Bourne - Featurette: "Fight Style" (HD)

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

That looks so different from the old films. More like a boxer.

First forum review!

And I figured someone here might beat me to the punch on this one.

Despite last weekend's box office success ($60 mil? srsly?) this is the most disappointing installment without Hawkeye. It's absurd and shot in that ****able wobbly cam. An epileptic on a massage chair in an earthquake could have made a steadier shot. Ruined the fights and the Blues-Bro level car chase through Vegas. And how did they ditch all the cops after that for their Mano-a-Mano? Ducking in a storm drain? Just dumb. The over-romanticized take on I.T. was annoying to anyone who really works on a computer. That bothers me a lot in film/tv in general nowadays, especially how image sharpening works so well. I.T. is the new deus ex machina, a quick solution when writers simply can't resolve their own plot devices.

I think the real superpower for Bourne et.al. is how **** fast they get from country to country. Air travel hasn't been like that since 9/11.

I confused this film with the trailer for the new Jack Reacher. I kept waiting for the gal to get tossed in the slammer by a conspiracy of higher-ups. That mistake provided more plot tension for me, which may have elevated my engagement in this film.

What this film needed was more newspapers in toasters.

Matt Damon is still the man. He had maybe half a dozen lines in the film. But he's still the man.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

best. review. ever.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    And I figured someone here might beat me to the punch on this one.

Despite last weekend's box office success ($60 mil? srsly?) this is the most disappointing installment without Hawkeye. It's absurd and shot in that ****able wobbly cam. An epileptic on a massage chair in an earthquake could have made a steadier shot. Ruined the fights and the Blues-Bro level car chase through Vegas. And how did they ditch all the cops after that for their Mano-a-Mano? Ducking in a storm drain? Just dumb. The over-romanticized take on I.T. was annoying to anyone who really works on a computer. That bothers me a lot in film/tv in general nowadays, especially how image sharpening works so well. I.T. is the new deus ex machina, a quick solution when writers simply can't resolve their own plot devices.

I think the real superpower for Bourne et.al. is how **** fast they get from country to country. Air travel hasn't been like that since 9/11.

I confused this film with the trailer for the new Jack Reacher. I kept waiting for the gal to get tossed in the slammer by a conspiracy of higher-ups. That mistake provided more plot tension for me, which may have elevated my engagement in this film.

What this film needed was more newspapers in toasters.

Matt Damon is still the man. He had maybe half a dozen lines in the film. But he's still the man.
    Nice review, Gene.

Matt Damon's acting is excellent and brings the Bourne character to life, but that shaky camerawork is needed to complete the illusion of his physical bad@ssness. I personally very much dislike "shaky cam", but it's probably necessary in the Bourne series.

IMO, the right way to do 'shaky cam' is seen in The Man From Nowhere. Just enough to make the action feel more chaotic, yet steady enough to maintain adequate clarity, without being overly shaky, unclear or annoying.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 08-01-2016 at 05:29 PM.

China agrees. Glad I skipped the 3D version

3D wobblycam bu hao!!!

Chinese audience protests Jason Bourne 3D movie
    By Shan Jie and Huang Tingting Source:Global Times Published: 2016/8/26 0:28:39

Lack of choice seen as exploitation of Chinese cinema market

A group of filmgoers show their phone screens with a message that reads, "refund our tickets," in protest against a Jason Bourne 3D screening at a Beijing cinema on Thursday. Photo: Li Hao/GT

Many Chinese fans of the Jason Bourne franchise said they feel exploited by the producers because over 90 percent of the latest film was done in 3D, which forced them to buy more expensive tickets.

The film, the fifth of the Jason Bourne series, has been heavily criticized two days after its release in China on Tuesday. The movie was slammed for its dizzying 3D effects, with many viewers saying the movie was not suitable for a 2D-to-3D adaption due to the film's violently shaking cinematography, thanks to director Paul Greengrass' hand-held camera-shooting style.

What further irritated Chinese audiences, especially Jason Bourne fans, was the 3D version appears to be their only choice.

According to The Beijing News, only 8 of 149 movie theaters in Beijing provided the 2D version as of Thursday.

In Shanghai, it was 9 of 174, and the theaters with the 2D version are either located in remote areas or screen the film early in the morning or late at night.

Odeon Cinemas, one of the biggest cinema chains in the UK, only offers the film's 2D version, according to its website.

Jason Bourne fan Zhou Yuchen on Thursday organized a protest with 30 other people against the 3D version, demanding a refund in a cinema in Chaoyang district, Beijing on Thursday.

"The 3D version is a rip-off. It's been happening many times in China and must be stopped," Zhou told the Global Times on Thursday, adding that he would organize similar protests online.

The Universal Pictures' China branch on Wednesday posted a notice on its official Sina Weibo account, saying that the company is working on adding more screenings for the 2D version.

Liu Hui, the deputy manager of Beijing-based UME Cineplex, said that they received the 2D version's encryption key Wednesday night, and would add more screenings or replace the scheduled 3D ones, China National Radio (CNR) reported on Wednesday.

The Jason Bourne series, which began in 2002 starring Matt Damon, is a story about a former CIA operative who uncovers explosive truths about his past. US box office sales of the latest film have reached $142,678,470 from July 18-August 23, according to the website of the Internet Movie Database (IMDB).

3D incentive

Even if 2D-turned-3D films are nothing new to Chinese moviegoers, an "exclusive 3D edition for China cinemas" is probably still strange to most. It refers to movies filmed in 2D that are turned into 3D exclusively for Chinese cinemas while providing original versions in other countries and regions.

"If you think of a movie as a cake, the 3D version is what makes it bigger, which would benefit every participant," an anonymous film industry expert told the Global Times on Thursday.

The average price for a 2D movie ticket in China is 30 yuan ($4.50), while the price for the 3D version is twice as much.

"Cinemas were totally hijacked by the producers this time, because as long as the cinemas were capable of screening the 3D version, they were not given the encryption key for the 2D version," Shi Wenxue, a Beijing-based film critic, told the Global Times on Thursday.

"The 3D version is often encouraged in China as the country considers it a technological advancement. But it's often exploited," Shi Wenxue added.

According to a 2012 notice on domestic high-tech movies by a funds committee of the country's State Administration of Press, Publication, Radio, Film and Television, domestic movies capable of being screened in 3D or on iMax stand to receive a subsidy of from 1 million to 10 million yuan.

Before Jason Bourne, recent Hollywood movies including Fast and Furious 7, Transcendence and Robocop were also shown in 3D in China. Despite the presence of foreign-made blockbusters, domestic films, such as the latest Cold War, also aim for a share of the pie.

"However, 3D movies like Avatar were filmed using 3D technology, while 2D-turned-3D ones rely on post-production," Shi Yedong, author of the widely circulated article, Who forces us to watch 3D Movies, and a journalist at the movie-focused We Media platform Yiyuguancha, told the Global Times.

Moviegoers demand refund at a cinema in Beijing on Thursday. They felt sick while watching the Jason Bourne film with 3D glasses. Photo: Li Hao/GT

Moviegoers demand refund at a cinema in Beijing on Thursday. They felt sick while watching the Jason Bourne film with 3D glasses. Photo: Li Hao/GT

This film made me kind of sick without the 3D. I loved the original films. Why did they go and muck this one up so badly?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I saw it and wasn't impressed. I'm done with the Jason Bourne series.

Luckily I didn't get motion sickness from it. The only two movies I did get sick from are the original Blair Witch and Quarantine. In fact, it was so bad both times I was nauseous for HOURS afterwards. Not to mention they sucked. But the extra-shaky camerawork in Jason Bourne was borderline.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 08-26-2016 at 03:40 PM.