Thread: Warrior on FOX

Warrior on FOX

Yet another martial arts based TV show coming soon. I'm luvin this trend. We picked up two martial TV advertisers with our last issue.

NBC Orders Martial Arts Drama Pilot 'Warrior'
    3:23 PM PST 1/9/2015 by Lesley Goldberg

The pilot is from David DiGilio and Universal Television

REX USA
    Walter Parkes and Laurie MacDonald

NBC has ordered its first drama pilot of the season.

The network has picked up Warrior, a martial arts drama from David DiGilio (Crossbones), The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Here's the official description: "In a grounded, contemporary multicultural and sometimes magical milieu, a damaged heroine works undercover with physical and spiritual guidance from a mysterious martial arts master to bring down an international crime lord."

DiGilio will pen the script and exec produce alongside Universal Television-based Walter Parkes and Laurie MacDonald (Flight, Men in Black, Gladiator).

Warrior comes as AMC is also mounting a martial arts drama with Badlands, from the creators of Smallville.

For NBC, Warrior marks its first drama pilot order and second overall of the season. The network also has Jerrod Carmichael comedy Go Jerrod Go already casting.

Email: Lesley.Goldberg@THR.com
    Twitter: @Snoodit
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Will Yun Lee

Will Yun Lee Cast In NBC Pilot ‘Warrior’
    by Nellie Andreeva • tip
    February 5, 2015 6:35pm

Will Yun Lee (Hawaii Five-0, True Blood, Wolverine) has joined the cast NBC’s martial arts drama pilot, Warrior. Written and executive produced by Traveler creator David DiGilio , directed by Phillip Noyce, and executive produced by Walter Parkes and Laurie MacDonald, the project centers on a damaged heroine who works undercover with physical and spiritual guidance from a mysterious martial arts master to bring down an international crime lord.
    Related

Lee, repped by APA and Zero Gravity Management, will play Susano, a deadly and dangerous martial arts expert who is head of a Japanese crime syndicate where he enjoys considerable power, wealth and respect. He will next be seen recurring on the fourth and final season of Strike Back on Cinemax and co-starring in the upcoming disaster actioner San Andreas and comedy Spy.
    Well, that sinks it. Now I have to watch. Lee is a good friend of Tiger Claw.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Natalie Martinez

Natalie Martinez To Star In NBC Pilot ‘Warrior’
    by Nellie Andreeva • tip
    February 13, 2015 3:01pm

Under The Dome and CSI: NY alumna Natalie Martinez has landed the lead in Warrior, NBC’s magical martial arts drama pilot written/executive produced by David DiGilio, directed by Phillip Noyce and executive produced by Walter Parkes and Laurie MacDonald. Set in a grounded, contemporary multicultural and sometimes magical milieu, Warrior, from Universal TV, centers on Kai Forrester (Martinez), a damaged heroine who works undercover with physical and spiritual guidance from a mysterious martial arts master to bring down an international crime lord.

There were multiple pilots interested in Martinez, repped by WME and Atlas Artists. She co-stars on ABC’s upcoming mystery drama Secrets & Lies with a one-year deal as the show is set to tackle a different murder case each season, and stars opposite Ryan Reynolds in Selfless for Focus Features.

Subscribe to Deadline Breaking News Alerts and keep your inbox happy
    I never watched Under the Dome and only watched a few episodes of CSI so I don't really know her.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Lance Gross

Nadine Velazquez Joins NBC Pilot ‘Love Is A Four Letter Word’, Lance Gross In ‘Warrior’
    by Denise Petski
    February 13, 2015 5:01pm

Nadine Velazquez Lance Gross

Crisis star Lance Gross is reuniting with NBC and Crisis pilot director Phillip Noyce. Noyce has cast Gross in the pilot he is directing for NBC this year, martial arts drama Warrior. Also cast in the project, written/executive produced by David DiGilio alloand exec produced by Walter Parkes and Laurie MacDonald, is Andy Allo. Set in a grounded, contemporary multicultural and sometimes magical milieu, Warrior, from Universal TV, centers on Kai Forrester (Natalie Martinez), a damaged heroine who works undercover with physical and spiritual guidance from a mysterious martial arts master to bring down organized crime syndicate YOMI. Gross, repped by WME, MGMT and Stone Meyer, plays Agent Golden, an Interpol agent and former Navy SEAL who gives Kai the news that she is their best shot at getting an agent inside the triad. Allo plays the daughter of YOMI’s New York boss.

Nadine Velazquez has landed a lead role on NBC drama pilot Love Is A Four Letter Word, from playwright-TV writer Diana Son, 20th TV and Fabrik. It chronicles the collision of race, sexuality and gender roles when three diverse couples put modern marriage to the test. Velazquez will play Rebecca, a Cuban American who is deeply in love with Julie and very happy with their marriage, but doesn’t realize her wife is actively considering getting back together with her ex, Nick. My Name Is Earl alumna Velazquez, repped by Gersh and More/Medavoy, recently reprised her recurring roles on Major Crimes and The League and wrapped a starring role opposite Shemar Moore in The Bounce Back. She is filming the Harold Kloser-Mario Sorrenti feature Discarnate.
    I don't know Gross either. I guess I'm just naive to this whole new stable of actors...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Rila Fukushima

Rila Fukushima Cast In NBC’s ‘Warrior'; Peter Gerety In CBS’ ‘Sneaky Pete’
    by Denise Petski
    February 24, 2015 4:35pm

Rila Fukushima (The Wolverine) has been cast in Warrior, NBC’s magical martial arts drama pilot written/executive produced by David DiGilio, directed by Phillip Noyce and executive produced by Walter Parkes and Laurie MacDonald. Set in a grounded, contemporary multicultural and sometimes magical milieu, Warrior, from Universal TV, centers on Kai Forrester (Natalie Martinez), a damaged heroine who works undercover with physical and spiritual guidance from a mysterious martial arts master to bring down an international crime lord. Fukushima. repped by ICM, Seven Summits and Sloane, Offer, Webber and Dern, will play Tasu, Koto’s daughter. In reality, she lies in a coma in her dad’s apartment, but she appears to Kai (Martinez) in her dreams or when she’s unconscious. Fukushima recurs on Arrow and also will be seen on Game Of Thrones.

Peter Gerety (A Most Violent Year, Prime Suspect) has been cast opposite Margo Martindale in CBS drama pilot Sneaky Pete, written and executive produced by Breaking Bad star Bryan Cranston and House creator David Shore for Sony TV. Sneaky Pete centers on a thirty-something con man who, upon leaving prison, takes cover from his past by assuming the identity of a cellmate. “Sneaky Pete” then hides out from his debtors while working for his new “family’s” bail bond business. There he uses his considerable charm and criminal prowess to take down bad guys far worse than himself, partnering with a very attractive female “cousin” who has her suspicions about his real motives. Gerety, repped by Paradigm and Untitled Entertainment, will play Otto, who with his wife Audrey (Martindale), is trying to keep the family bail bond business afloat when Pete shows up on their door step.
    I liked her in Wolverine.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Holt McCallany

Holt McCallany To Star In NBC Pilot ‘Warrior’
    by Nellie Andreeva • tip
    March 3, 2015 3:19pm

Lights Out star Holt McCallany is set as a lead opposite Natalie Martinez in Warrior, NBC’s magical martial arts drama pilot written/executive produced by David DiGilio, directed by Phillip Noyce and executive produced by Walter Parkes and Laurie MacDonald. Set in a grounded, contemporary multicultural and sometimes magical milieu, Warrior, from Universal TV, centers on Kai Forrester (Martinez), a damaged heroine who works undercover with physical and spiritual guidance from a mysterious martial arts master (McCallany) to bring down an international crime lord.

McCallany’s Andriv Vorobin is a former prize fighter and an expert in MMA, still formidable in the ring, who runs a gym in New York while also heading the local YOMI.

McCallany, repped by Atlas Artists, APA and attorney Rick Genow, underwent extensive boxing training for his starring role as an aging former heavyweight boxing champion in FX drama series Lights Out and took MMA lessons for his role in the UPN series Freedom. The actor, most recently seen in Michael Mann’s Blackhat, next will be seen in Warner Bros.’ Run All Night and Sony’s The Perfect Guy and Paramount’s Monster Trucks. On TV, he has been recurring on Blue Bloods.
    This cast is full of people I don't really know. I've heard of Lights Out, but never watched it.

I guess I only know the Asian stars. There aren't as many of those so they stick out in my memory.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    This cast is full of people I don't really know. I've heard of Lights Out, but never watched it.

I guess I only know the Asian stars. There aren't as many of those so they stick out in my memory.
    Lights Out was a decent show that had a nice plot line going, shame it didn't stay on for long.

Jason Scott Lee

Now Jason Scott Lee, I know him.

D.L. Hughley Cast In NBC Pilot ‘Heart Matters'; Jason Scott Lee In ‘Warrior’
    by Denise Petski
    March 19, 2015 6:04pm

D.L. Hughley (The Original Kings Of Comedy) has joined the cast of NBC’s drama pilot Heart Matters. Inspired by the life of Dr. Kathy Magliato, the medical soap follows the outspoken Alex Panttiere (Melissa George), one of the rare female heart-transplant surgeons. Alex brings an innovative eye to treating patients week to week while also balancing the complications of her professional and romantic life. Gersh-repped Hughley will play Dr. Hackett, the psychiatrist at the hospital.

Jason Scott Lee (Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story) has booked a series regular role in Warrior, NBC’s magical martial arts drama pilot. Set in a grounded, contemporary multicultural and sometimes magical milieu, Warrior, from Universal TV, centers on Kai Forrester (Natalie Martinez), a damaged heroine who works undercover with physical and spiritual guidance from a mysterious martial arts master (Holt McCallany) to bring down an international crime lord. Lee, repped by Untitled Entertainment and attorney Geoff Oblath, will play Koto, a martial arts master chosen to recruit Kai (Martinez) to work with Interpol on stopping a Japanese organized crime syndicate.
    I guess I only know the Asian actors...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Now Jason Scott Lee, I know him.

I guess I only know the Asian actors...
    At least there will be a legitimate JKD practitioner on the show.

Hopefully this is a trend with no end.

Now Fox

Changing the title of this thread from 'Warrior on NBC' to 'Warrior on FOX'

‘Warrior’ Martial Arts Drama To Be Redeveloped By Fox
    by Nellie Andreeva • tip
    September 11, 2015 10:17am

Warrior is back in the ring. The martial arts drama from Traveler creator David DiGilio and Parkes/MacDonald is returning to pilot contention, this time at Fox. The network has ordered a new script for the project, originally developed and piloted by NBC last season. It centers on a broken woman who works undercover – with physical and spiritual guidance from a mysterious martial arts master – to bring down an international crime lord.

Warrior, produced by Universal TV, was the first project to receive a pilot order this past broadcast pilot season. The pilot, directed by Phillip Noyce was in contention for a series pickup at NBC but missed the cut. However, it remained a favorite of Universal TV brass who made it a priority after the upfronts to try and find a new home for the show. The pilot was shopped and garnered serious interest from Fox but the network ultimately decided to start anew with a wholly original script.

All the creative auspices of the original pilot are back — writer/executive producer DiGilio, executive producers Walter Parkes, Laurie MacDonald and Owen Shiflett of Parkes/MacDonald and Universal TV where Parkes/MacDonald has a deal.

“We could not be happier to continue the journey with Dave DiGilio to bring his vision for Warrior to life,” said Shiflett. “Fox is a perfect home for this world and these characters, and we are ecstatic to realize the potential with them.”

Digilio is repped by UTA, Industry Entertainment and attorney Karl Austen.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips