Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Che Wed kung fu?

Che Wed kung fu?

I've never heard of it, but a girl at work said she used to do it before her Sifu's school shut down. Just wondering what it is. If it's legit kung fu, or a made up style like chi lin or pai lum

Wed doesn't sound like a very Chinese word.....

But then again, isnt every style made up?

Depends how your define 'legit kung fu'

There are some emigrant styles, especially to the South East Asian nations, that have decidedly non-Chinese sounding names. Also some of the dialects of Chinese have names that aren't Mandarin, Cantonese or Hakka, like the Mongolian styles. And some styles get their names slaughtered when getting romanized - which is why we always try to get the Chinese characters (but this is an issue with emigrant lineages).

That being said, I've not heard of Che Wed yet.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

One possible clue would be to ask her if they trained wearing a karate gi. That often (but not always!) can be one indicator.

Never heard of it, but google turns up a couple of references to it being an OHIO or Illinois thing.
    Some guy in Ohio who made up a style says he learned it from a sifu Nunez in Wheeling Illinois for instance.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Way to go, Ohio

Thanks for that DJ. I wasn't going to bother with the web search. Did you find out WTH Che Wed means? I keep wanting to truncate that into CheWed.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Maybe it has no special meaning. Many years ago, one of the MA mags used to run articles about a guy who started a style he called Han Foo Wa (hand foot way) with the letters dropped to be Asian-sounding. Someone could also make up any random weird sounds, pass them off as 'Chinese', and most Americans wouldn't be the wiser.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Thanks for that DJ. I wasn't going to bother with the web search. Did you find out WTH Che Wed means? I keep wanting to truncate that into CheWed.
    Chewed - lol, "hey, fight with me and you're going to get your butt chewed!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Maybe it has no special meaning. Many years ago, one of the MA mags used to run articles about a guy who started a style he called Han Foo Wa (hand foot way) with the letters dropped to be Asian-sounding. Someone could also make up any random weird sounds, pass them off as 'Chinese', and most Americans wouldn't be the wiser.
    props for being absolutely genius!

Although I don't know anyone practicing that style, if you really are interested you might contact the following person who has some experience with it. This person's current teacher is Mike Biggie and I know him and his praying mantis is excellent. He also lists Mike Berry as his teacher and his is also excellent.

http://www.sanfangshi.com/

Instructor (Sifu) Ty J. Stupak

I had achieved the rank of Brown Belt in Goju-Ryu Karate at the age of 15. Before aquiring a Black Belt in a style that I felt did not suit me, I began studying Che-Wed Kung-Fu. After approx. 4 years at the Wheeling Martial Arts Academy (Sifu Nunez) and a few years of individual lessons in Northern Ohio (Sifu Berry), I aquired the rank of Red Sash (2nd Degree Black). I continued my training by practicing the art of Poekoelan Tjimindie, an Indonesian Hand-to-Hand Combat for approximately two more years while serving in the Navy during Desert Storm. I am also currently studying more in-depth Seven Star Prying Mantis under Sifu Biggie at the Akron Kung-Fu Academy.

As of 2013 I have been a Sheriff's Deputy for over 20 years with experierence in several aspects of Law Enforcement including the Jail, Patrol, K-9 Unit, Transport/Warrants, School Resource Officer for Black River School District and Medina County Career Center. Currently assigned to Patrol Division and Patrol Officer for Lafayette Twp.

Recently been appointed as an Assistant Coach with Rockhard MMA out of Akron. I work mostly with the kicking and sweeping techniques used in Kung-Fu but fill in with all aspects of the MMA sport.

I currently live in Wadsworth, Ohio with my wife Kristy and four children. Two of which are also training in the style.
    "Its better to build bridges rather than dig holes but occasionally you have to dig a few holes to build the foundation of a strong bridge."

"Traditional Northern Chinese Martial Arts are all Sons of the Same Mother," Liu Yun Qiao

the fuk is a che wed

sounds like another one of those billy hilly kempo guys
    Last edited by bawang; 01-15-2015 at 08:53 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Amitoufo

Thank you for all of your insight.

Blog Entries
    Its more BS from white people. I find it very funny when white people try to invent a Chinese or Japanese style without ever being said ethnicities.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    Its more BS from white people. I find it very funny when white people try to invent a Chinese or Japanese style without ever being said ethnicities.
    white people?

what about Sin The? He ain't white people and he has a few thousand people saying his style is the realz. lol
    What about that Black American dude and his Kung Fu was invented in Africa thing?
    What about all the fake asses of all skin colours and cultures out there pushing their brand of stuff.

And so on...
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by cwolfe10 View Post
    I've never heard of it, but a girl at work said she used to do it before her Sifu's school shut down. Just wondering what it is. If it's legit kung fu, or a made up style like chi lin or pai lum
    It is all about transparency.

You may list your core practices. People would know.

Che can be car, cart or mill.

Wed could be a misspell for wei. Way, tail, encircle depending on the Chinese character.

We may name a style. But we have to list our core practices, such as some shaolin quan fa, some mantis, some tkd, no matter.

At least people would know what you and your school are doing or practicing.

What is JKD ? It includes so and so and famous practitioners are etc etc.