Thread: RIP Darren Shahlavi

RIP Darren Shahlavi

Sad news this morning as it seems we have lost Darren Shahlavi(tai chi 2, ip man 2,metal hurlant and a whole host of other films) seems sudden and very sad. No info on the how other then that its true...RIP

Shocking and sad news, indeed. RIP.

how tragic...

Found this on KFcinema:
    Darren Shahlavi (1972-2015)
    By Albert Valentin

The martial arts action film community is in a state of shock today over the unexpected passing of British action star Darren Shahlavi. Shahlavi, a veteran of martial arts and action films for over two decades, passed away this early this morning at the age of 42.

Darren Majian Shahlavi was born on August 5, 1972 in Stockport, England. He began his training in martial arts training at the age of seven. Since he was a child, he had always wanted to work in action films and in 1991, decided to head to Hong Kong, where he started out in bit roles in action films.

His breakout role in Hong Kong finally came in 1995 when Yuen Woo-Ping cast him as the lead villain in TAI CHI II, opposite Wu Jing. In 1997, he played another lead villain, a masked martial arts serial killer in the U.S.-Hong Kong crossover BLOODMOON opposite Gary Daniels and Chuck Jeffreys. After TECHNO WARRIORS, he came to North America, where he had a successful career in Canadian and U.S. action films. Perhaps his biggest Hollywood role was that of Cedric Mills, the boxing opponent of Eddie Murphy’s Kelly Robinson in the big screen adaptation of I-SPY. In 2010, he returned to Hong Kong films with the role of Twister in IP MAN 2, where he faced off against Donnie Yen in the finale.

Shahlavi had completed POUND OF FLESH, where he plays the main villain opposite Jean-Claude Van Damme and had shot scenes are Eric Sloan, the ill-fated brother of Alain Moussi’s Kurt Sloan in the remake KICKBOXER: VENGEANCE in New Orleans. In addition, he had completed work on the superhero short film ZAMBO DENDE, starring Marko Zaror.

Kung Fu Cinema sends its deepest condolences to the family of Darren Shahlavi. On a personal level, I’ve met Darren fifteen years ago via e-mail. He was truly one of the nicest guys I’ve had the pleasure of talking to. He was one of those action stars who not only reached out to their fans, but he even would offer advice to others. It is sad to see such a wonderful person gone. For a list of Darren’s films, check out both the Internet Movie Database and Hong Kong Movie Database.

In the meantime, check out the video above, a music video tribute video created by Tony Coates. Rest in Peace, Darren Majian Shahlavi.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Variety's obit

Darren Shahlavi, Martial Artist in ‘Mortal Kombat’ and ‘Arrow,’ Dies at 42

ALBERTO E. RODRIGUEZ/GETTY IMAGES
    JANUARY 20, 2015 | 12:00PM PT
    Alex Stedman
    News Editor, Variety.com
    @a_sted
    Darren Shahlavi, a martial artist who appeared fighting in such works as the “Mortal Kombat: Legacy” TV series and “Arrow,” has died, his agent has confirmed. He was 42.

According to his agent, Shahlavi died in his sleep Jan. 14. A cause of death was not revealed.

Shahlavi recently finished shooting on “Pound of Flesh” with Jean-Claude Van Damme, and is also known for his work in “Ip Man 2″ (2010), “Watchmen” (2009), “300” (2006) and “Alone in the Dark” (2005).

Shahlavi began martial arts training when he was 7 years old in Manchester, England. He cut his teeth by moving to Hong Kong in the early ’90s and becoming a stuntman in kung fu films, before he was discovered by director Yuen Woo Ping, who cast him as the villain in kung fu film “Tai Chi Chuan.”

Shahlavi then broke into Hollywood, scoring supporting roles as a boxer fighting Eddie Murphy in 2002’s “I Spy” and 2004’s “The Final Cut” with Robin Williams. In TV, he was a guest star in “Sanctuary,” “Human Target” and “Reaper.”

Shahlavi returned to Hong Kong action films in 2010, co-starring with Donnie Yen and Sammo Hung in “Ip Man 2,” the semi-autobiographical tale of Bruce Lee’s real-life kung fu master Ip Man. Shahlavi played the evil British boxing champ the Twister. The movie would go on to become the most successful Asian film at the box office in 2010.

In 2011, he appeared as Kano in “Mortal Kombat: Legacy.”

In the past few years, Shahlavi had a guest role in the CW’s “Arrow,” appeared in 2012’s “Metal Hurlant” and had a starring role in 2012 TV movie “Aladdin and the Death Lamp.”

On Tuesday, “Arrow” star Stephen Amell tweeted about the news.

Stephen Amell ✔ @amellywood
    Follow
    RIP Darren Shahlavi. 1st guy I ever fought on Arrow. He was a great dude & a patient, thoughtful partner. Fight looked good because of him.
    2:16 PM - 20 Jan 2015
    I imagine the cause of death will be revealed eventually.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

In honor of Shahlavi

Interview with Darren Shahlavi by david j. moore
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Death by ASVD

Not a drug overdose.

APRIL 28, 2015
    Coroner’s report: Ip Man 2 actor Darren Shahlavi died of heart attack

Sabrina Furminger — Westender

Darren Shahlavi in Ip Man 2

Darren Shahlavi was many things in his 42 years: actor, stunt artist, writer, son, brother, uncle, friend, and the inspiration for my column.

He was well known for his physical fitness and lightning-fast martial arts moves – both of which will be on display in the two films he wrapped before he died: Pound of Flesh and Kickboxer: Vengeance, both with Jean-Claude Van Damme (he can also be seen in the upcoming George Clooney feature, Tomorrowland).

So when Darren – who lived in Vancouver for 13 years and worked in the local film and television industry before moving down to Los Angeles a couple of years ago – died in mid-January, he left behind one big unanswered question: How could a healthy man die in his sleep?

More than three months after Darren died, the Los Angeles County Department of Coroner has issued its official Coroner’s Report, and the truth is out: Darren died of natural causes.

Darren died of “a sudden and fatal heart attack,” his family wrote in a statement. “He was found to have Atherosclerosis (also known as arteriosclerotic vascular disease or ASVD). His left anterior descending artery was 95% blocked, which must have been worsening for several years.”

There's also this important clarification: “Darren had no drugs or medications in his body, and only 0.02% BAC (Blood Alcohol Concentration); to put this into context 0.08% is the BAC Driving Limit for both the US & UK. There are no other medical factors linked to his death.”

Here’s the Shahlavi family’s statement in its entirety:

Darren's family recently received a Coroner’s report from the Los Angeles County Department of Coroner, and would like to share the results with his friends, colleagues and fans.

Darren died on January 14, 2015 of natural causes: a sudden and fatal heart attack. He was found to have Atherosclerosis (also known as arteriosclerotic vascular disease or ASVD) His left anterior descending artery was 95% blocked, which must have been worsening for several years.

Darren had no drugs or medications in his body, and only 0.02% BAC (Blood Alcohol Concentration); to put this into context 0.08% is the BAC Driving Limit for both he US & UK. There are no other medical factors linked to his death.

It seems unlikely that someone as fit as Darren – who was so dedicated to exercise and fitness and had such a healthy low fat/dairy diet – should have heart disease, but we have been told that a genetic predisposition resulted in the development of heart disease and is not uncommon in otherwise healthy young men, including athletes and other professional sportsmen and women*.

Evidence for Darren’s level of physical fitness at the time of his death can be seen in his recent work. Darren had just finished filming Pound of Flesh and Kickboxer: Vengeance, both with Jean-Claude Van Damme – not to mention Tomorrowland with George Clooney. He was, as far as physical fitness goes, at the top of his game.

Darren’s family are devastated that his underlying heart condition was never diagnosed to allow him the opportunity of treatment. Typically, Atherosclerosis begins in childhood, and Darren showed no apparent symptoms prior to death. Who would have thought that Darren who was regarded as very fit would die so suddenly as a result of this 'silent killer'!

We have all been in shock for the past11 weeks with so many unanswered questions, but would now like to focus on the lessons that can be learned from Darren's untimely death. We do feel that Darren would be the first to join us in sending warnings and advice to the friends and colleagues that he loved that regular health screening can save lives.

This is our message and we do hope that somehow positive publicity in Darren's name can be made available to other young men and women, that may help them to take seriously the possibility that their body holds terrible secrets that can be revealed if they are tested routinely throughout life.

We hope that no other family has to go through the grief and pain that we are experiencing and that their loved ones get screening and subsequent treatment if necessary, that could prevent the tragic outcome that all who loved Darren are trying to come to terms with.

The Shahlavi family is raising funds to build a permanent memorial to Darren in Hollywood. More information at https://www.giveforward.com/fundrais...-memorial-fund
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

That is very sad, and also scary as well. Once again, RIP to him.

Two years ago I had a scare where I had chest pain/tightness that was so concerning I checked myself into the hospital. I had to stay and be monitored overnight, and next day they ran tests, including a stress test and some nuclear dye stuff they injected so they could X-ray and examine my heart function and surrounding area. Turns out it was most likely a case of heartburn. The doctor said my heart was "healthy enough to run a marathon". I was obviously relieved, but until the doctor finally told me that, it was a stressful, scary 24 hours.

Heart conditions such as the one Darren passed away from are genetic and there isn't much anyone can do about them.
    I am sure the exercise and the diet helped stave it BUT I know at least two other people that died in their prime the same way.
    One of them actually ran mini and full marathons.
    Some have argued that excessive exercise can actually make it worse but I don't know the facts behind such a thing.
    Supposedly high testosterone can make it worse also.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !