Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Monkey Kung Fu? Tai Shing Pi Gua?

possibly September, CKT turns 70 this year :-)

Alas, that's too late for our event.

But awesome for CKT. I've been addicted to Flying Five Finger One Armed Eight Pole Shaolin Exploding Death Touch Thursdays on EL REY - so many classic CKT films. Every one that I see I think, daaaaaaaaaang, I hung out with that guy. What an honor that was.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

HAHA yes, I love El REy, saw a good one I never saw call Death Duel, I am trying to buy it in Cantonese, great sword movie with a great story...

Gene I tried to text you, did you get it?

Kung fu in the MMA

I am just starting to know more about Kung Fu and would like to know more about it. coming from the guys who actually practice it, are Kung Fu practitioners fond of joining the MMA scene?
    Combat Sports enthusiasts and avid fan of Dafabet Sports

Hi Jase01

I love MMA... I have been into Kung Fu over 20 years and the old Kung fu masters who fought a lot did a lot of cross training, it seemed like they cared less about style and more about what works. They probably would have loved the ability to cross train the way we can today.

Today in Kung fu you will find some that embrace it and don't have a problem learning other styles like Muay Thai or Brazilian jiu-jitsu. But there are some who feel their art is superior to all others lol... They will probably never change, they are loyal like a football fan...

So choose your teachers/schools carefully and align yourself with people who can help you achieve your goals :-)

Good luck!

Hi Sow Choy

Thanks a lot for your answer. You are right when you said others regard their art superior to others. But compared to other martial arts, I believe Kung Fu is more on the disciplined side of fighting. So I would like to ask, does Kung Fu masters approve of the mainstream MMA nowadays where fighters seem to take each matches personal as if they are sworn enemies?

Oops, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Sow Choy View Post
    Gene I tried to text you, did you get it?
    I got new digits. I'll hit ya back soon.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Gene, thanks bro.. I tried reaching a few times in the past now I know why you haven't replied.. Thought you don't love me anymore lol

Jase,

Hello bro, glad you love Kung fu... I think most Kung fu people like the sport of MMA but not the bad attitudes displayed, but of course that is not all MMA...

Most people in Kung fu promote friendship, respect, etc... But unfortunately many are holding grudges and speaking bad of others behind their backs, it's everywhere even in the business world...

I personally don't judge styles or the sport, just people... Only people are arrogant or ignorant, not a style or sport... So I hope MMA doesn't get a bad reputation, but the UFC is a business and they want that drama to help make money...

So just be smart ;-)

hit ya back, brudda

Gene, thanks bro.. I tried reaching a few times in the past now I know why you haven't replied.. Thought you don't love me anymore lol
    I had to ditch my old burner cell to shake the man.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I had to ditch my old burner cell to shake the man.
    Gene's not here man......
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Jase,

Hello bro, glad you love Kung fu... I think most Kung fu people like the sport of MMA but not the bad attitudes displayed, but of course that is not all MMA...

Most people in Kung fu promote friendship, respect, etc... But unfortunately many are holding grudges and speaking bad of others behind their backs, it's everywhere even in the business world...

I personally don't judge styles or the sport, just people... Only people are arrogant or ignorant, not a style or sport... So I hope MMA doesn't get a bad reputation, but the UFC is a business and they want that drama to help make money...

So just be smart ;-)
    I agree with what you said about the UFC drama, Sow Choy. And thanks a lot for your helpful insights. It definitely gave me more knowledge about Kung Fu and how practitioners differ from any other martial arts practitioners. I hope I will be given a chance to learn your Art hands on.

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    Gene's not here man......
    Oh you'd roll over on me in a second, lkfmdc. I can just see it now:

PD: We have a warrant for a Mr. Gene Ching
    lkfmdc: His nacho stash is in his locker! I had nothing to do with it! I don't even know the guy!

When the man comes a'knockin' then you know who your real friends are.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jase01,

No problem bro, all martial artists should try being more helpful, at any moment there is a chance to grow and learn :-)
    In forums especially there are a handful of people who are very good and can share insight, but there are also some who aren't comfortable in their own skin or think they are experts and puff their chest out lol, I just laugh... Nothing matters or should bother you... Your thoughts and feelings are all that matter, and when it comes to martial arts it is my advice to not let your skill grow your ego or put you in a comfort zone where you think you are good enough... You die when that happens...

Gene,

If PD tries to get you let Firefighter Joe handle it... Even cops need heroes lol (No offense to my brothers in blue ;-))

Jase01,

No problem bro, all martial artists should try being more helpful, at any moment there is a chance to grow and learn :-)
    In forums especially there are a handful of people who are very good and can share insight, but there are also some who aren't comfortable in their own skin or think they are experts and puff their chest out lol, I just laugh... Nothing matters or should bother you... Your thoughts and feelings are all that matter, and when it comes to martial arts it is my advice to not let your skill grow your ego or put you in a comfort zone where you think you are good enough... You die when that happens...

Gene,

If PD tries to get you let Firefighter Joe handle it... Even cops need heroes lol (No offense to my brothers in blue ;-))
    Hi Sow Choy,

Yeah you're right. But most people I personally know learned martial arts at their young age to stay out of trouble. That's a pretty good reason to learn Martial Arts.