Thread: Extraction

Extraction

According to the article I just posted in the Deadpool thread, Gina Carano is also signed to this film. I couldn't find any other confirmation for this, but THR is a pretty reliable resource.

Bruce Willis Set For ‘Extraction’
    by Mike Fleming Jr
    January 20, 2015 5:53pm

EXCLUSIVE: Bruce Willis is set to star in Extraction, a thriller directed by Steven C. Miller (Submerged) that begins shooting February 9 in Alabama. Umair Aleem wrote the script. It’s produced by Emmett/Furla/Oasis Films’ Randall Emmett and George Furla with Aperture’s Adam Goldworm. EFO is funding the film with Ingenious and Odyssey Releasing Media. The film will be released in the U.S. by Lionsgate/Grindstone through its multi-picture distribution deal, and Highland Film Group will sell it next month in Berlin. It becomes the seventh film Willis has made with EFO.

RelatedBruce Willis, Mitch Glazer Team Up For Elmore Leonard Novel 'Bandits'
    Willis plays a former CIA operative who hasn’t been the same since his wife was murdered. His son is a fresh young CIA operative following in his footsteps and with his father they are working on the development of a super-weapon called the Condor, when dad is kidnapped by a terrorist group. Learning that there is no plan for his father to be saved, Harry launches his own rescue operation. It leads to a conspiracy that will change his life forever. Tim Sullivan, Brandon Grimes and Gus Furla as co-producers.

Willis is repped by CAA, Miller by UTA and Aperture and EFO by WME.
    What's more, there's a casting call
    Bruce Willis film 'Extraction' needs extras; local casting agent offers tips to improve chances of getting cast
    Tamara Ikenberg | tikenberg@al.com
    on January 28, 2015 at 6:00 AM

Mobile will become one big Bruce Willis movie set starting Feb. 9 when the thriller "Extraction" starts shooting.

You can be part of the lights, cameras and action as an extra.

Interested folks need to submit two recent photos -- one close up and one full body-- to: EXTRACTIONEXTRAS@GMAIL.COM. Also include your name, age, phone number, height and weight.

To give prospective extras some tips on submission do's and don'ts and extra duties, we talked to Brandy Unrue Goleman, head of local casting agency Goleman Casting.

Goleman is currently handling extras casting for "Extraction" and all the casting for the local production "Aether," directed by Drew Hall.

Brandy is married to actor Ron Goleman and the two have previously cast extras for "The Prince," "Vice" and "Bus 657."

Q: How did you get into the casting biz?

A: It started because Ron was asked to do extras casting on "The Prince." I assisted off camera. Ron was cast in "Rage." and we got to know a lot of the people really well. When "The Prince" came, Ron wasn't cast and he was asked if he wanted to give casting a shot and it kind of snowballed from there. When "Bus 657" came through Ron couldn't do it, so I took over. Now that we've gone public with Goleman Casting it's just me (running it.)

Q: Roughly how many people apply to be extras?

A: We might get two or three thousand emails for each movie and I sit down and go through them and weed out people and go from there.

Q: What are the major don'ts of picture submissions?

A: Don't wear sunglasses or hats in your pictures.And my biggest pet peeve is people sending in pictures with duck face. I do not want to see your duck face. And I do not like bathroom selfies. To me, if you're sending me that stuff, I don't feel like you're serious about it.

Q: What do you want?

A: I want a clear head shot and a full body shot. They don't have to be professionally done.

Q: What are some of the weirdest submission pictures you've received?

A: I have gotten some crazy ones. I got one of a guy posing on an army tank, I've gotten one of a guy lying on a mattress that appeared to be on fire. It was one of those that when I opened it I said "you've got to be kidding me." I've also gotten pictures of the back of peoples' heads so you can't even see their faces.

Q: What should extras know before they commit to a job?

A: When you submit to do this, you're needed for all day and sometimes that can be ten to twelve hours. And a lot of people think that they can just come in for a few hours and then leave, or they think, oh well, you start filming at 8, but I can be there at 10. No I need you there at eight o' clock.

Q: What are other mistakes people make in their submissions?

A: A lot of people don't put their names or their phone numbers in their emails. If I don't have a phone number I can't contact you for a part. A lot of times if I have a rush call an email is not going to get to you as quick as I can pick up that phone and call you. So having your phone number in that submission is a big thing.

For more tips and information, visit Goleman Casting's Facebook page.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

More from Deadline

Carano is confirmed.

Kellan Lutz & Gina Carano Join ‘Extraction’ Cast As Butt-Kicking Quotient Rises
    by Mike Fleming Jr
    February 19, 2015 8:54am

EXCLUSIVE: Kellan Lutz and Gina Carano are set to join Bruce Willis in Extraction, the thriller that Steven C. Miller (Submerged) will direct from the script by Umair Aleem and Max Adams. Pic’s produced by Emmett/Furla/Oasis Films’ Randall Emmett and George Furla and Adam Goldworm. EFO is funding with Ingenious and Odyssey Releasing Media. Lionsgate/Grindstone will release in the U.S. and Highland Film Group is selling international.

Lutz plays CIA rookie agent Harry Turner, who sets out to find his kidnapped father (Willis) against the agency’s wishes. Carano plays Victoria, a tough field operative assigned to hunt down Harry. Lone Survivor‘s Dan Bilzerian, Lydia Hull and Tyler Olson also star. Tim Sullivan, Brandon Grimes and Gus Furla are co-producers.

Lutz is represented by WME, Zero Gravity Management and Morris Yorn Barnes. Carano is repped by Gersh, The Syndicate and Ziffren, Brittenham.

EFO just began production on 90 Minutes In Heaven with Kate Bosworth and Hayden Christensen, and the Martin Scorsese-directed Silence starring Andrew Garfield, Liam Neeson and Adam Driver.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

'ex'-ual

No release date yet but it looks like it'll be 2016.

Kellan Lutz, Gina Carano and more movie folks chat about 'Extraction' and making the most of Mobile

"Extraction" star Gina Carano at T.P. Crockmier's in downtown Mobile, AL, on Thursday, March 5, 2015. (Tamara Ikenberg/tikenberg@al.com)

If you're a Twi-Hard who also happens to be a fan of Bruce Willis' "Die Hard," franchise, you're likely to get a kick out of "Extraction."

The thriller, which began filming in Mobile on Fat Tuesday and will wrap this weekend, stars Bruce Willis and hot young actor Kellan Lutz, best known as Dr. Carlisle Cullen's buff vampire son Emmett in the "Twilight Saga" series.

In "Extraction" Lutz plays Harry, the son of Willis' kidnapped CIA agent character Leonard.

Lutz said the opportunity to be Willis' son is especially gratifying since he's a huge fan and he really wanted to play the son of Willis' John McClane character in 2013's "It's a Good Day to Die Hard."

"This is my chance to play his son in a 'Die Hard'-esque movie where you have Bruce and explosions, comedy, heart and the relationship between the father and son," Lutz said.

Lutz was starstruck by his venerable co-star.

"Of course before (Willis) left, I was like, 'Bruce, I've gotta get a photo with you," he said.

Lutz, his "Extraction" co-stars Gina Carano and Joshua Mikel and director Steven C. Miller took some time out on Thursday evening at T.P. Crockmier's to talk about the movie and Mobile.

Willis was only here for a couple days at the beginning of the shoot. But the rest of the cast, a few of whom were here last October to shoot "Bus 657," had a fair amount of time to explore Mobile.

"It is the nicest feeling on the planet to come back to Mobile," said Carano, who plays a policewoman in "Bus 657." "This place kind of feels like home."

"Extraction" is the fourth movie from inter-connected production companies Hannibal Classics or Emmett Furla Oasis Films to be shot in Mobile since the Nicolas Cage gangster shoot-'em-up "Rage" came to town in the summer of 2013. The other movies are "The Prince," "Vice" and "Bus 657."

The Mobile movie business had been booming for a reason.

In 2009, legislation was passed that allowed Alabama to offer attractive incentives to filmmakers.

Any film project that spends at least $500,000 in the state gets a 25 percent rebate on any expenses exceeding $500,000.

And if the project uses local talent to fill cast and crew positions, which all of this year's productions have done, the filmmakers get a 35 percent rebate on however much that talent gets paid.

Getting into character

In "Extraction," Mobile plays Newark, NJ. According to director Miller, making the Port City resemble a major metropolis is just a matter of choosing and shooting locations wisely

"The few big buildings that you have here, if you frame them the right way, it looks like a giant city," Miller said. "If you get them at the right angle and you have cars coming through, you can get a really cool big city feel. And there are certain streets and side roads that have a (Newark) feel" to them."

Locations including Armstrong World Industries plant on Baker St., The Garage Bar, the Sky Lounge at The Holiday Inn, and various Dauphin St. office buildings and apartments, serve as the backdrop for "Extraction"'s excitement and intrigue

"The movie is basically about a father and son team. The father is a CIA operative who gets taken and the son decides he's going to go out on his own mission to get him back," Miller said. "It's really simple, but there are a lot of fun action scenes and explosions. From the start its action."

The actors have really gotten into their roles.

Lutz calls Harry "an incredibly complex character." He explained that Harry had to grow up fast since his mother was assassinated when he was a teenager and his father Leonard was depressed and distant.

Carano plays Victoria, a character that has a certain 'ex'-ual tension with Harry. "They hire me to help Harry find Leonard," Carano said. "We used to date so we have a very funny dynamic. I can have fun" with the role.

Mikel, who played a thief in "Bus 657," is one of "Extraction"'s villains.

"I'm Drake and I'm kind of your quintessential bad dude,' he said. "I'm the guy who kidnaps Bruce Willis."

For Mikel, acting alongside Willis was somewhat surreal.

"You can't help but be humbled in the presence of someone (with such a) long and storied career," he said.

Mikel said working with Willis was a tad distracting, and it was a challenge to keep the movie's world separate from the real world.

A few times when he caught himself marveling at the fact that Willis was right in front of him, Mikel had to silently remind himself, "No no no, he's Leonard and my name is Drake."

Local flavor

From bubbly at Cafe 615 to decadent fried seafood pastas at Wintzell's, the cast and crew of "Extraction" indulged in the best of Mobile during their time off-set.

They'll all take home their own personal set of wacky, touching and delicious Port City memories.

Director Miller was in town prepping for the film for a few weeks before the shoot commenced and managed to amass a random treasure trove of throw.

"I had my four-year-old and my wife here and we went out a few times and tried to catch as many Moonpies as possible," he said. "I also got a Little Debbie Star Crunch, some ramen noodles, some plastic balls and some beads. I got a lot of fun stuff. Mardi Gras was awesome. I've never seen anything like it."

Lutz will always cherish a champagne-soaked Sunday night at an elegant eatery, followed by a spontaneous screening of "Fifty Shades of Grey."

"We got out and went to Café 615 and they have the champagne angel who just comes around and gives you champagne," And the food was really good."

Lutz was also charmed by a four-legged Cafe 615 attendee.

"They have this bulldog there," Lutz said. "One of the patrons comes in and brings his bulldog. It's just so precious. I love dogs."

During the relaxing dinner and drink fest, Lutz ended up losing a bet, and was required to take a group of girls from the cast to see "Fifty Shades of Grey" as a result. The jovial party made its way to West Mobile to see the kinky mega-hit.

"It was a good movie," Lutz said. "Maybe being a little tipsy helped, but it was just fun watching it with a lot of females."

Mikel's most vivid Mobile memories are southern-fried.

"I went to Wintzells and had the most incredible amount of fried food on top of Alfredo pasta," he said.

Mikel is referring to Wintzells' Seafood Napoleon, which features layers of fried eggplant, oysters and shrimp over pasta with crawfish sauce.

Carano made sure she spent some time on Dauphin St. with a local artist pal she met during the "Bus 657" shoot.

"I have a homeless buddy who draws pictures of people and I take people to get their pictures done by him. Last time I was here I took people from the set," she said. "His name is Al, but I call him 'Maestro.'"
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I can't understand this thing.. Kindly tell me clearly what is going on..

Gina at 1:20

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

1 week run, only 13 theaters and made only $16K

Total Lifetime Grosses
    Domestic: $16,775 100.0%
    + Foreign: n/a 0.0%
    = Worldwide: $16,775
    Domestic Summary
    Opening Weekend: $10,948
    (#49 rank, 13 theaters, $842 average)
    % of Total Gross: 65.3%
    > View All Weekends
    Widest Release: 13 theaters
    Close Date: December 24, 2015
    In Release: 7 days / 1 weeks
    I'm sure we'll see this on Hulu+, Netflix, et.al. soon. On par with Heist. Tough to go up against The Force Awakens.

No worries. Gina will do better box office with Deadpool.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips