Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what style is this?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by MarathonTmatt View Post
    In Hsing-I the basic horizontal punch is beng one of the 5 fundamental fist techniques- typically drilled in an advancing footwork step.

Bawang said it first Northern Longfist has this also- a horizontal punch hitting in succession- cha- to hit in succesion.

by a boxer's speedbag work i assume u mean the quick succession of over-hand punches

yes exactly this.. like a horse hitting with its hooves.

P.s.

Also noticed SPM and Bak Mei have a quick succession of phoenix eye fists. Can this be substituted with regular fists to produce the technique mentioned?

Different animals that look something alike: https://www.google.com/search?q=hors...2&ved=0CB0QsAQ

Hold up, wait a minute

The above video seems closer to the OP's answer to his question. But I thought this was good. And worth the add.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44CS6tZuY0g

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by boxerbilly View Post
    The above video seems closer to the OP's answer to his question. But I thought this was good. And worth the add.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44CS6tZuY0g

Does Bak Mei do chain punching with the horizontal fist though?

Maybe I should have phrased it better to begin with. So, at the risk of sounding redundant and annoying.....

Which arts do chain punching with the horizontal fist?

I'm at a disadvantage. I've never studied any Chinese arts.

Boxing. Wrestling. Tae Kwon Do. Isshin Ryu. Shaolin Kenpo in San Clemente. And some judo with a buddy that was a green belt. Mostly I was his throwing dummy and really only got good at one throw while sparring. At best I got better at making him have a harder time throwing me. And a larger amount of wasted time with combatives crap. I mastered none if that is even a possibility. More of a ******* of all trades.

So, I have to go off what you write and what I have seen and if that looks like the description.

I'm really out of my environment on this forum. I can only look at things from my perspective and experience and does it line up. That said, I love all the arts. They all have something to teach.

Boxers don't actually "punch" the speed bag.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I did. But I know what you mean. It's not really used for punch training. Its used train you to keep your guard up, develop endurance and hand eye coordination. I never learned to trick out on it. I could get it going and all that. I spent 5 years getting my head banged. As a boxer I sucked. I lose depth perception with the glasses off so, I had to always advance, eat shots , corner and pound. Back then, I could do it. Not anymore! It can be a rough sport for those that can't stay on the outside. And I felt afraid almost always until the punches started. Then that just goes away. For those it does not, they don't come back after their first spar.

Lots of guys believe they can do it but from my experience if 10 show up , 1-2 stayed. Probably a lot like any other thing. Actually probably more like 20 and 1-2 stayed.
    Last edited by boxerbilly; 03-17-2015 at 12:37 PM.

Last edited by charlie foot; 03-18-2015 at 04:31 PM.

Sorry Charlie.

Stamping punch. Is that where the fist is bent so it strikes sort of like a hammer head? Maybe it increases penetration or dig if you will. Ive done that on long range hooks on a bag and not actual usage. As I said previously. I had bad depth perception when I boxed. Ive worn glasses since I was 13. I needed to be on you. Ideally corner you. So that kept most everything I threw pretty tight. I don't think I could have pulled off any bent wrist punch that close and Im not sure I would have anyway.