Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what style is this?

what style is this?

Hi,

can somebody tell me which style of gongfu has an advancing chain punch, but done with horizontal fists in a steamrolling motion? Think of a boxer's speedbag workout. Is this a Southern Mantis, or possibly Xing-i horse technique? I've seen it used in a fight, and it seemed quite natural.

Thank you

There is a crane technique like that. Hard to say based on your description if that's what you are referring to.
    Short Bridge Athletic Association
    www.shortbridgeaa.com
    Wing Chun - White Crane
    Seattle, WA

could very well be. Like a Wing Chun chain punch or rolling punch, but done with the fists horizontal instead of vertical. Landing with the first 2 knuckles, like consecutive chopping fists.

Blog Entries
    Charlie Foot has chain punches too.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by ShortBridge View Post
    There is a crane technique like that. Hard to say based on your description if that's what you are referring to.
    YongChun Southern Crane uses that formation, both in a flying or grounded attack. It is used to disrupt, making way for a power strike. I have only practiced it's use as a grounded attack (frontal) and also as a 360degree one foot grounded spinning disruption before strike. My son, who I used to use as a weight from the time he was a baby until he weighed 60 lbs to practice repetitive one leg outstretched (front) lifts said to me when he was 7 or so that he had been watching me work out for years and showed me one of my techniques I practiced daily. It was the pummeling fists (thread topic) that he chose to demonstrate. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5sb...A6610B&index=9
    Last edited by PalmStriker; 02-15-2015 at 08:57 PM.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    Charlie Foot has chain punches too.
    Ha... Ask and you shall receive. Thanks Sifu Frank!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PalmStriker View Post
    YongChun Southern Crane uses that formation, both in a flying or grounded attack. It is used to disrupt, making way for a power strike. I have only practiced it's use as a grounded attack (frontal) and also as a 360degree one foot grounded spinning disruption before strike. My son, who I used to use as a weight from the time he was a baby until he weighed 60 lbs to practice repetitive one leg outstretched (front) lifts said to me when he was 7 or so that he had been watching me work out for years and showed me one of my techniques I practiced daily. It was the pummeling fists (thread topic) that he chose to demonstrate. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5sb...A6610B&index=9
    Interesting... Is this found in Mantis and the other Hakka arts as well?

every northern kung fu style has it and its called chain punch

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by charlie foot View Post
    Interesting... Is this found in Mantis and the other Hakka arts as well?
    Have not seen any video reference outside the link I posted. The rolling effect is generated from the waist and the emphasis is in the upward (4)strokes as in an uppercut. Chain punch is a different animal. In the WingChun SLT form I learned, the 3 punches at the end of the set are not targeting the same area on opponents torso and are all meant to dislodge with upward impact, unlike the chain-punch in this video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuqB8YS4uV4
    Last edited by PalmStriker; 02-16-2015 at 09:04 PM.

My Tiger-Crane form has this, it's called: Continuous Arrow Punching.

"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."
    - Sun Tzu

I study a bit of whooping crane, but am not an expert. I don't think of this technique as chain punching, though. It's more of a rolling bridge/disruption. It might look similar to a wing chun chain punch, but from an application standpoint, I liken it more to Kwan Sao.
    Short Bridge Athletic Association
    www.shortbridgeaa.com
    Wing Chun - White Crane
    Seattle, WA

In Hsing-I the basic horizontal punch is beng one of the 5 fundamental fist techniques- typically drilled in an advancing footwork step.

Bawang said it first Northern Longfist has this also- a horizontal punch hitting in succession- cha- to hit in succesion.

by a boxer's speedbag work i assume u mean the quick succession of over-hand punches- there is something like that also in longfist, another basic technique, except we never drilled this technique "in succession" on the bags in class. This technique works like a charm in sparring especially - a block/sweep and a rolling smash.
    Last edited by MarathonTmatt; 02-17-2015 at 07:30 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie foot View Post
    can somebody tell me which style of gongfu has an advancing chain punch,
    When I was 11 years old, my brother in law taught me an open hand form and a staff form. One day I got into a fight and my open hand form didn't help me much. After I told my fighting result to my brother in law, he stopped teaching me any more forms. For the following 3 years, I did nothing but "1 step 3 punches". IMO, the "1 step 3 punches" or "chain punches" has nothing to do with style but has to do with "self-training".

Today, I like to hit on my heavy bag as hard/fast as I can none stop for about 60 punches. Which style am I training? I truly don't know/care.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 02-17-2015 at 08:44 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    When I was 11 years old, my brother in law taught me an open hand form and a staff form. One day I got into a fight and my open hand form didn't help me much. After I told my fighting result to my brother in law, he stopped teaching me any more forms. For the following 3 years, I did nothing but "1 step 3 punches". IMO, the "1 step 3 punches" or "chain punches" has nothing to do with style but has to do with "self-training".

Today, I like to hit on my heavy bag as hard/fast as I can none stop for about 60 punches. Which style am I training? I truly don't know/care.
    Very interesting... I had a similar experience last year. Started walking up and down my room doing Sanchin with a tiger claw grab and phoenix eye punch. Was it Uechi? Wuzuquan? Didn't care....it's what my body felt like doing.

it doesnt matter if its vertical or horizontal fist, its all called chain punching.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC