Thread: Pacquiao vs. Mayweather

Hybrid View

Pacquiao vs. Mayweather

May 2, 2015, Las Vegas

Pacquiao vs. Mayweather: It’s Real, Not Talk
    The fight of the century will actually happen during this century on May 2 in Las Vegas

Floyd Mayweather, who turns 38 on Tuesday, is 47-0 (26 KO). Photo: Getty Images
    By Jason Gay
    Updated Feb. 22, 2015 7:28 p.m. ET

Here it is—the big fight!—at long last, after years of skepticism, haggling, goading, taunting, self-inflicted snafus and exasperating near-misses. Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao will pull on the gloves and box—it feels weird to type that on the page—in person, in public, for real. The fight of the century will actually happen during this century on May 2 in Las Vegas, the garish American capital of Why Not.

Crazy, right?

So much energy had been expended complaining about Mayweather vs. Pacquiao’s failure to launch—condemning the players and the sport, trying to will the fight into existence—that it feels strange to shift the conversation to a boxing match itself. Mayweather vs. Pacquaio lived so long below a pessimistic cloud, a no-brainer dream showdown undone by reasonable and unreasonable demands, vanity, ego, and who knows what. Crankiness that this megafight hadn’t happened became an economy unto itself—The Fight That Wasn’t was bigger than any Fight That Was—and another piece of evidence in the thick case that Boxing Is Doomed. Now—suddenly—it’s on. The dream match-up is here, at 147 pounds, just a couple of months away. Wile E. Coyote has snared the roadrunner, and it is more than mildly stunning.

Naturally, because we are all impossible to please, the first reaction is to pooh-pooh the fight slightly, to point out that this really should have happened a half decade or so ago, when both men were in their early 30s and orbiting their physical primes. Pacquiao, 36, is coming off three straight victories, but before that, he suffered shocking back-to-back losses, including a frightening December 2012 knockout to Juan Manuel Marquez, which stripped away the Pac-Man’s merry aura of quickness and impenetrability. Mayweather turns 38 on Tuesday, and remains undefeated at 47-0, but his reputation has been eroded by troubling events like the 60 days he served of a 90-day sentence in 2012 after pleading guilty to misdemeanor domestic battery.

In boxing, the fighters remain top draws—the top two in the sport—but neither can claim to be fully the fighter he once was. In the time Mayweather and Pacquiao have danced around each other, they have stuck to a similar routine of fights with lesser known or well-travelled opponents (not Cotto again!). Even the matches with intrigue (Pacquiao-Marquez, Mayweather-Canelo Alvarez) could not compete with the fight the public desired. Mayweather and Pacquiao did their best to talk up their opponents, whoever they were, but the best competition was always going to be each other.

Manny Pacquiao has a record of 57-5-2 (38 KO). He will meet Mayweather at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas on May 2. Photo: Getty Images

Denying the customer is no way to run a business, and as the years wore on without a Mayweather-Pacquiao collision, it was easy to be irritated with boxing. Why not do anything possible to make it happen? Mixed-martial arts is by no means a flawless operation, but the UFC has grown by serving its audience, making marquee fights happen (of course, it helps to have the UFC’s firm organizational control—and it should be pointed out that a UFC fighter can’t command anything resembling the reported $200 million plus payday Mayweather and Pacquiao are said to be splitting 60/40.)

As these latest negotiations wore on—it sparked up again during a meeting between Mayweather and Pacquiao at a Miami Heat game in January—there was the customary round of procrastination and doubt. It seemed close…but even people near the inside weren’t totally clear if and when it could be pulled off. When it was confirmed, there was something comically boxing-like that it was announced (by Mayweather on social media) after 5 p.m. ET on Friday—a tumbleweed time of the week governments and corporations use to dump bad news they want ignored.

And yet it doesn’t matter. It does not, not, not, not matter at all.

Mayweather vs. Pacquiao will be a spectacular hit, the biggest for boxing in many years. It does not matter if they announced it at 5 p.m. ET on social media or at 3 a.m. in a cave under the sea. It does not matter that they are older. Though both men are good promoters, they do not need to promote it, they do not need to say a word, they don’t need literary narration from Liev Schreiber, even though I love the literary narration from Liev Schreiber. Liev Schreiber could make a trip to the supermarket to buy an avocado sound like Ali-Frazier. They could hold this fight in a country barn, Madison Square Garden, Hinkle Fieldhouse or the Russian Continental Shelf—it will fill immediately (they’re holding it at the MGM Grand, where both boxers have fought plenty). When the pay per view price is announced—reports are it could be close to $100—there will be a round of moaning and groaning followed by a record-breaking ante up. You can book it.

They know this. They knew this. This is surely part of the reason why it took so long to get done, why HBO and Showtime were willing to collaborate and make it work. There is some cheery talk about how May 2 is going to be a sports day for the ages—that Saturday also features the Kentucky Derby, the NBA and NHL playoffs, the Red Sox and Yankees, and the final day of the NFL draft. Two things: one, I would not let my cat watch the final day of the NFL draft, and two, this fight will tower over everything that day. Mayweather vs. Pacquiao is an epic for a sport that badly needs one, and we haven’t even mentioned the rematch, which you have to figure will be coming, because the cash is too cuckoo.

The consensus at the moment is that the advantage is Mayweather’s, that Pacquiao has too many miles and exposed vulnerabilities, and Mayweather’s defensive evasiveness will make him very difficult to beat. But Pacquiao has long wanted this fight and he’s still Manny Pacquiao and...you don’t really know, do you? You really don’t know. They don’t know. That’s the whole point, why this matters, why it mattered all along, May 2, Vegas, Mayweather and Pacquiao, goodness gracious, this crazy thing is actually going to happen.

Write to Jason Gay at Jason.Gay@wsj.com
    Predictions?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Predictions?
    Pacquaio.

KO in the 7th or 8th.

Or Mayweather by decision.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Greetings,

The fight should not happen. Both fighters do not have the sense to walk away. That is the real win.

Gene, the guy who wrote the article writes in your style. I thought you wrote it.

mickey

I'm glad the fight is happening

It needs to happen just to bring some attention back to boxing. Boxing is a great spectator sport.

That being said, I'm leaning more towards Pacquiao. I haven't been following the sport lately so I'm not going to venture predicting the round like s_r. I hope the fight almost goes the distance - an early K.O. would be premature.

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Gene, the guy who wrote the article writes in your style. I thought you wrote it.
    srsly? or is this just a sideways way of calling me 'gay' (author's name).

at least i gotz style. thanks mickey.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I would love for Pacquiao to win by K.O. or any other way, but I doubt that'll happen. Unfortunately, I think Mayweather will win. But by decision.

Hi Gene,

Definitely not calling you gay.

You do have a style, for sure. I really thought you wrote it.

mickey

Floyd wins bye tko 6 rounds. Manny will try to turn it into a brawl but floyd will use foot work and pick him apart cutting his face or eyes open.
    Last edited by dcrjradmonish; 02-24-2015 at 06:24 PM.

My Goal In Life Is To Be A Better Person Today Than I Was Yesterday. Martial Art Is One Of The Tools I Use To Achieve This.

The Equation For Good Kung Fu Is Based On Four Simple Principles Breathing, Relaxation, Continues Movement, Structure. Working Them Under Pressure Is What Good Kung Fu Training Is About.

You Have To Breath To Relax, You Have To Relax To Move, You Have To Move To Keep Structure

My Video Page
    http://www.youtube.com/user/dcrjradmonish

Woah, am I the only one in Pacquiao's corner here?

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Hi Gene,

Definitely not calling you gay.

You do have a style, for sure. I really thought you wrote it.
    Yeah, I know. It just struck me as funny. What's even funnier is that someone else thought some of the text for our upcoming Tiger Claw Elite Championships was written by me today too, which it wasn't. It's been a weird day that way.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

SEPTEMBER 08, 2017 3:11pm PT by Ashley Cullins
    Hollywood Docket: 'Kickboxer' Trial; Pacquaio Lawsuit Knock-out; Filmchella Fight

Lester Cohen/WireImage

A roundup of entertainment law news.

Movie mogul Ted Field is set to stand trial next week in a legal fight over a $500,000 loan he solicited for a remake of Kickboxer, the 1989 film starring Jean-Claude Van Damme.

Central Films Media, run by Fernando Sulichin (Snowden), sued Field and Radar Pictures in 2015, and early this year added fraud claims, alleging that it issued a bridge loan for the film after Field was "extremely aggressive" in soliciting the money and that he breached their agreement by failing to repay the loan on time.

In a trial brief filed Thursday, Central Films attorney Mathew Rosengart calls field a "self-proclaimed former billionaire, but now serial fraudster."

During Field's deposition, which Rosengart notes the court had to compel, he testified that there was still $375,000 outstanding on the loan. The filing also notes that the mogul's attorney Jonathan Freund told The Hollywood Reporter in January that "[Sulichin] is going to get paid. The film was profitable."

On Friday, Freund told THR "the contractual obligation has been fully satisfied."

The initial loan aside, Central Films is also pursuing punitive damages of at least $1.5 million, arguing that Field has been defrauding people with malice. "Field's scheme to bilk investors with callous disregard for their rights is part of a pattern, and the time has come for Field and his company Radar Pictures ... to be punished for their misconduct," Rosengart writes.

Central Films is also asking the court to hold Field personally liable for the alleged conduct, arguing that he "exercised complete control over Radar" and the two are "in effect, one and the same." (The full brief is posted below.)

Field's Jumanji sequel is set to be released in December, and he currently has several other producing projects in the works including an adaptation of Victor Hugo's classic novel The Hunchback of Notre Dame.

The bench trial before Judge Gerald Rosenberg is set to begin Monday.

In other entertainment legal news:

— Filmchella founder Trevor Simms is fighting back against a trademark lawsuit filed by Coachella organizers that accuses his new film fest of trying to capitalize on the famous music event's name. Simms, who's currently representing himself, filed an opposition to Coachella's preliminary injunction request on Tuesday. He argues there is no likelihood of confusion because Coachella doesn't engage in film-related activities — and he notes that there are "hundreds of businesses" in the Coachella Valley that use "Coachella" or "Chella" in their names. Simms also argues that Coachella can't support a claim of irreparably injury, whereas an injunction stopping his late-September event would "would be costly with respect to time, money and resources of the venues, promoters, filmmakers, and fans involved." A hearing is set for Sept. 25. (Read the opposition here, and Simms' declaration here.)

— The nationwide class action lawsuits filed by angry boxing fans and bar owners who claimed Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao hid Pacq’s shoulder injury ahead of their highly anticipated 2015 fight has been knocked out of court by a California federal judge. On Aug. 25, U.S. District Judge R. Gary Klausner dismissed the multidistrict litigation finding fans had "no legally protected interest or right to see an exciting fight, a fight between two totally healthy and fully prepared boxers, or a fight that lived up to the significant pre-fight
    hype." (Read the decision here.)

— The Barbershop franchise has cut itself loose from a copyright infringement lawsuit. Ronald Dickerson, also known as JD Lawrence, sued MGM, Warner Bros. and Showtime in 2016 alleging that the Barbershop films and TV series infringe his copyright in a stage play called Scissors. The studios successfully shut down a proposed injunction that would have preempted the release of Barbershop: The Next Cut and then moved for the case to be dismissed in October. U.S. District Judge Laura Taylor Swain on Tuesday sided with the studios, finding the works are not substantially similar. (Read the decision here.)
    Kickboxer remake & Pacquiao vs Mayweather
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips