Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pacquiao vs. Mayweather

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Just look at those prices....

When MMA can command ticket prices like this, it will have truly dethroned boxing. But for now, it's just more MMA blustering.
    Why would it need to do that? Accessibility is what matters. And frankly, judging from the number of venues that normally broadcast, have dropped coverage of this fight due to these obscene prices (they're charging sports bars $100-200 per seat commercial rate), I'd say they're doing a pretty good job of continuing to dethrone themselves.

Ha! Big protest against the thug may weather...he did the crimes but didn't do the time
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

The more I hear about this, somehow I feel it is more of a con game of some kind.
    Pay 99.99 and 1 minute later into the round, Pacquiao is out like a light!

I doubt Mayweather will KO Pacquiao, but I do think he's going to win. Even though I don't like Mayweather, and would rather see Pacquiao win. Maybe if this fight happened 5 years ago Pacquiao would have a good chance of winning, but at this point I think it'll be Mayweather. I wonder if that's why Mayweather avoided him until now. Hopefully I'm wrong.

I could care less who wins

It will turn into a trilogy with a HUGE amount of cash made by all involved. If Mayweather is earning this much, just imagine how much is actually being made TOTAL.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/5/1/...kentucky-derby

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I doubt Mayweather will KO Pacquiao, but I do think he's going to win. Even though I don't like Mayweather, and would rather see Pacquiao win. Maybe if this fight happened 5 years ago Pacquiao would have a good chance of winning, but at this point I think it'll be Mayweather. I wonder if that's why Mayweather avoided him until now. Hopefully I'm wrong.
    I am guessing that it is the merit of a thing that makes it valuable, or the accuracy of judgement as opposed to whether the thing agrees with me or it is to my liking! Jus' sayin'

Well, I had a feeling the fight wouldn't live up to the hype, and it turns out I was right. Neither one of the fighters would be too upset about that; the amount of money surrounding this fight is ridiculous. It's quite probable this will be another blow to boxing's overall popularity (no pun intended).

Well, I had a feeling the fight wouldn't live up to the hype, and it turns out I was right. Neither one of the fighters would be too upset about that; the amount of money surrounding this fight is ridiculous. It's quite probable this will be another blow to boxing's overall popularity (no pun intended).
    How much money are we talking about?

I believe Mayweather got at least 100 million dollars, probably more. I think the purse was to be split 60/40 between Mayweather and Pacquiao.

I believe Mayweather got at least 100 million dollars, probably more. I think the purse was to be split 60/40 between Mayweather and Pacquiao.
    If we want to see real boxing/fights it needs to be a 95/5 split. None of the I make 150 million win, lose or draw. **** me, he already won! So does the loser when his is 20 million win, lose or draw.

Boxing died when they got rid of purses. The 30's-the late 50's had the best fighters as pro's. Boxers used to fight on a weekly basis winner take all aside from the loser getting enough to cover the bill's and a bit of pocket cash.

They don't fight for purses anymore regardless if they call them that. They have contracts that guarantee you get paid this much just for showing up. You can sit down first round and you still get that much. There is no hunger at those levels.

Like I said, this will probably be a trilogy approaching a half a billion+ by the end.

$400+ million

If you wanna know the take, go to Forbes.com.

I'm amused by so many pundits claiming that the fight was so boring that it spells the end of boxing. It was one of those 'chess match' fights, at least what little I saw of it, not entertaining to the general public because it wasn't obvious. And in the end, they all made serious bank.

5/03/2015 @ 7:30AM
    What's Next For Floyd Mayweather And Manny Pacquiao?
    Kurt Badenhausen
    Forbes Staff

Floyd Mayweather defeated Manny Pacquiao by unanimous decision Saturday night at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. Mayweather ran his record to 48-0 with the win, while Pacquiao fell to 57-6-2. The fight is expected to generate more than $400 million in total revenue, shattering the previous record of $200 million for Mayweather’s 2013 bout against Canelo Alvarez. So what’s next for Mayweather and Pacquiao?

First off, they are both about to get big deposits in their bank accounts. Top Rank’s Bob Arum says he’ll wire Pacquiao $50 million on Monday for his guarantee. Mayweather Promotions CEO Leonard Ellerbe will only say that Mayweather’s guarantee will be “a lot more than the other guy.” Once all of the PPV receipts are counted, the fighters are expected to split as much as $300 million with 60-40 split in favor of Mayweather.

Mayweather hugs Pacquiao after defeating him in their welterweight unification bout Saturday night. (Photo: JOHN GURZINSKI/AFP/Getty Images)

Rematch? Forget it. It took the two sides, HBO/Bob Arum/Pacquiao and Showtime/Al Haymon/Mayweather, nearly six years to make this fight happen and they nearly killed each other trying to work together since the fight was announced in February. Fans would feel suckered as well. Saturday’s fight was dubbed “boring” by many, but longtime boxing fans recognize that Mayweather fights are always a clinic in defense and rarely exciting. Pacquiao’s post-fight disclosure of a shoulder injury during training will provide reason for a rematch for a minor faction, but not enough for Mayweather-Pacquiao II.

Retirement? Unlikely for both. Mayweather, 38, has one fight left in the blockbuster six fight deal he signed with Showtime in 2013. Mayweather earned $170 million for the first four fights in the deal and likely matched that total Saturday. He insists he will be back in the ring to fulfill his contract in September and then walk away. September would mark six fights in less than 30 months for Mayweather. He only fought six times total in the previous six years before that. Many think Mayweather won’t be able to resist one more fight after September to reach 50-0 and surpass the legendary Rocky Marciano and his 49-0 record. And as San Antonio Spurs coach Gregg Popovich eloquently put it after his own retirement questions Saturday night after the Spurs Game 7 loss, “The paycheck’s pretty good.”

Pacquiao at 36 is also near the end of the line having taken much more punishment in his 65 pro fights than Mayweather ever did. In a post-fight interview, Pacquiao said he was headed away on vacation and then would let Top Rank’s Arum figure out his fight future. Arum has made a big push in China, which he views as an untapped goldmine. Pacquiao has fought two of his last four fights in the gambling mecca of Macau and Arum wants Pacquiao fighting in Asia once a year. Look for Pacquiao to fight in November this year in Macau. The PPV numbers for Pacquiao’s Macau fights have been disappointing, but Pacquiao benefits from the 12% top income tax rate compared to 39.6% in the U.S.

How about opponents? It will be hard for both Mayweather and Pacquiao to find opponents that will get fans excited after the star-studded affair Saturday night. There will be talk of moving down to 140 pounds for Pacquiao. Lucas Matthysse is a possibility at 140 after Matthysse won a bruising battle with Ruslan Provodnikov last month. Don’t rule another go with Juan Manuel Marquez. Their quartet of fights is the stuff of legends with Pacquiao holding a 2-1-1 edge, but Marquez floored Pacquiao in their last bout in 2012.

As for Mayweather, Keith Thurman (25-0) and Amir Khan (30-3) will be two of the most prominent names thrown around for Mayweather. Britain’s Khan is popular in Europe and was the people’s choice when Mayweather left his next opponent up to a fan vote in early 2014. Mayweather overruled them and set up a bout with Argentine Marcos Maidana instead. But Khan would struggle to give Mayweather a competitive fight. Roy Jones Jr. endorsed Thurman as an opponent after Saturday’s bout. “Keith Thurman could provide some real action in a fight with Floyd Mayweather,” said Jones, who pointed to Thurman’s size as a major reason. Teddy Atlas suggested Gennady Gennadyevich Golovkin, or Triple G as he’s known. Mayweather is too smart to get in the ring with GGG, who has the highest knockout rate in middleweight championship history at over 90%.

Mayweather and Pacquiao will both be back in the ring again. They will both be a little closer to the end and a lot richer after their own, long-anticipated matchup.
    Gotta give props to our two members here who called it:
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Or Mayweather by decision.
    Unfortunately, I think Mayweather will win. But by decision.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    If you wanna know the take, go to Forbes.com.

I'm amused by so many pundits claiming that the fight was so boring that it spells the end of boxing. It was one of those 'chess match' fights, at least what little I saw of it, not entertaining to the general public because it wasn't obvious. And in the end, they all made serious bank.

Gotta give props to our two members here who called it:
    Well I guess we can call that half a billion and in that case 2 more may bring that up to 2 billion total.

It was what it was expected to be.
    Perhaps IF Pacquiao was 100% or they were both younger it MAY have been different...
    Doesn't matter really since they BOTH got what they wanted.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

a sequel?

Given the payout, I'm not surprised.

Floyd Mayweather Jr. texts he'll fight Manny Pacquiao again next year

Floyd Mayweather Jr. celebrates after defeating Manny Pacquiao for the WBC welterweight championship Saturday at the MGM Grand Garden Arena.
    Floyd Mayweather Jr., Manny Pacquiao

By Chuck Schilken contact the reporter

Floyd Mayweather Jr. on Manny Pacquaio: 'I will fight him in a year after his surgery'

So there might be a Fight of the Century II after all.

Floyd Mayweather Jr. told ESPN's Stephen A. Smith via text Tuesday that that he would be willing to fight Manny Pacquiao again rather than retire in September, as he has stated numerous times he plans to do.

"I will fight him in a year after his surgery," Mayweather said of Pacquiao in the text.

Mayweather improved to 48-0 with a unanimous decision over Pacquiao in a much-hyped fight Saturday night.

Pacquiao reported pain in his right shoulder after an April 4 sparring session, then was examined two days later, where a tear was found below the rotator cuff. His manager told The Times on Monday that Pacquiao would undergo surgery on the injury this week in Los Angeles.

The typical recovery time for such surgery is nine to 12 months. Plus, the Nevada Athletic Commission announced Monday that the state attorney's general's office will be looking into whether Pacquiao properly disclosed the injury before the fight.

In other words, Pacquiao might be facing a fine or even a suspension.

Still, if the text is any indication, Mayweather seems willing to wait.
    Floyd Mayweather willing to fight Manny Pacquiao again
    ESPN.com news services

Floyd Mayweather told ESPN's Stephen A. Smith in a text Tuesday that he would be open to a rematch after Manny Pacquiao recovers from shoulder surgery to repair a tear in his rotator cuff.

"I will fight him in a year after his surgery," Mayweather texted Smith on the heels of his unanimous decision over Pacquiao in the richest fight ever.

Orthopedic surgeon Dr. Neal ElAttrache told ESPN.com on Monday that Pacquiao will have surgery later this week to repair a "significant tear" in his rotator cuff, which he suffered prior to the fight. The surgery will sideline the boxer for at least nine to 12 months.

Manny Pacquiao, right, will have surgery this week to repair a "significant tear" of his right rotator cuff and will miss nine to 12 months. Al Bello/Getty Images

The 38-year-old Mayweather (48-0, 26 KOs) has one fight remaining on his Showtime contract and has stated several times that he intends to retire after a final fight in September, although he admitted during Saturday's postfight news conference that he is "human" and occasionally contradicts himself.

And when asked about his desire to move past legendary former heavyweight champion Rocky Marciano -- who achieved a 49-0 record with 43 KOs, Mayweather said he didn't get into the sport to "outdo" anyone. He also casually mentioned Monday he would vacate the world titles he currently holds.

The MGM has plans to open a new MGM Grand Arena in April 2016, which just happens to coincide with the 60th anniversary of Marciano's retirement.

But surgery may not be the only hurdle for Pacquiao, who could face a possible fine or suspension from Nevada boxing officials for failing to disclose his shoulder injury on a form prior to Friday's weigh-in.

"It's not just the fact he didn't fill out the question completely, it was that he wasn't honest and they didn't tell us a month ago when he had the shoulder injury," Nevada Athletic Commission executive director Bob Bennett said. "They're not obligated to, but two hours before the fight they wanted a shot that's a painkiller, in essence. That put us in a very precarious position."

Said commission chairman Francisco Aguilar: "We will gather all the facts and follow the circumstances. At some point we will have some discussion. As a licensee of the commission you want to make sure fighters are giving you up-to-date information."

Pacquiao's promoter put out a statement on behalf of the fighter late Monday afternoon saying that the injury was disclosed to the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency, which approved the use of an anti-inflammatory shot for the fight. But USADA was only a third party to the fight, charged only with testing the fighters for banned substances in training and the night of the bout.

"We had no medical information, no MRIs, no documents," said Travis Tygart, who heads the USADA. "It was not an anti-doping issue. The real question is why his camp checked 'no' on the disclosure. Either they made a terrible mistake to not follow the rules or they were trying not to give information to the other side. I'm not sure there's a middle ground."

Tygart said his agency, which was hired by promoters to oversee drug testing for the bout, was contacted April 7 asking about the use of various substances and whether they were allowed under anti-doping rules. He said there was another call 10 days later asking about using a different substance, again for what the USADA was told was an unspecified shoulder problem.

A little more than two hours before the fight, Pacquiao's corner asked Nevada regulators whether he could be given a shot of Toradol, an anti-inflammatory. Aguilar denied it, saying the commission had no previous indication that there was an injury and could not allow a shot in fairness to the Mayweather camp.

"Our job is to protect the health and safety of fighters and the integrity of the sport," Aguilar said. "We expect our fighters to be forthright."
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Fighters train through injuries all the time, even more so when a huge fight is coming up.
    He may not have been 100% but after all these years waiting, no one was gonna punk out short of an injury that would FORCE them to bow out.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !