Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Wujido: What the f is this sht?

I've actually seen that kind of superiorist attitudes from all kinds of martial artists, including many in CMA/JMA/KMA. In fact, some of the worst I've seen or experienced has been from some other CMAists. It's not limited to BJJ people. Maybe it's more human nature than style-specific nature?

I trained over a year at a BJJ academy, and maybe I was lucky, but none of the people I trained with there, including the teacher, ever said anything negative about other MAs, that I ever heard. They seemed like a pretty open-minded group.

My brother is a Brown Belt in Gracie Bara. I don't think he ever discusses other arts. Or has put anyone down. In his or other arts. He just does his thing as do most at his dojo. Then again, I don't hang with any of them so who knows what they talk about within themselves?

The net has just widened our town. So, it is no longer, the school down the street sucks and they make stuff up. It is the guy teaching in Guadalajara made himself a 10th degree this or that. Hey, if you think something sucks, nothing will change your mind unless that something kicks your ass. Even then, you might think you just had an off day or if you only trained harder. It is just human nature the want to believe what you do is better than what everyone else does.

Me, I think everything has something to offer. It may be just a training method or a simple technique. But, even I sometimes look at youtube and see stuff and say that sucks. Im basing it on what Ive done and believe. I try not to but I still do it sometimes.

Hey, Im almost 50. I'll probably never be in another fight as long as I live. THANK GOD! I now believe, train for yourself, have fun, don't worry so much about beating someone to death with your bare hands. ITS BULL!@#$! Odds are you never will. And if you do, we will see you in 7-30!
    Last edited by boxerbilly; 03-13-2015 at 11:49 AM.

Exactly. Martial arts is a hobby. There was a time when I trained for the immediate threat of violence but not anymore. I had a friend some years back who was arriving at a local pub with another friend. He was pretty bad ass and had been in quite a few fights when he was younger. When they got out of his truck they were alerted to a disturbance on the other side of the parking lot. Some redneck was working his GF over by a parked vehicle. Tough guy friend in question ran over and came to her aid. He pulled the guy off her and threw him to the ground. The guy got up and the fight was on. In the end the guy was pretty messed up. And as a result he pressed charges. A year later my friend has filed bankruptcy, separated from his finace, had his car repod and he was generally a mess. Not worth it for a few minutes of "glory" in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Brat View Post
    Exactly. Martial arts is a hobby. There was a time when I trained for the immediate threat of violence but not anymore. I had a friend some years back who was arriving at a local pub with another friend. He was pretty bad ass and had been in quite a few fights when he was younger. When they got out of his truck they were alerted to a disturbance on the other side of the parking lot. Some redneck was working his GF over by a parked vehicle. Tough guy friend in question ran over and came to her aid. He pulled the guy off her and threw him to the ground. The guy got up and the fight was on. In the end the guy was pretty messed up. And as a result he pressed charges. A year later my friend has filed bankruptcy, separated from his finace, had his car repod and he was generally a mess. Not worth it for a few minutes of "glory" in my opinion.
    That is to bad but that is a reality. It very well can happen. Your life turn upside down because you let your ego decide you have to be the badass of the day. Not worth it. We do not realize this until we get older and understand what is a stake. Beside, say you killed someone. Could you live with yourself after? Very few people could I would wager. In fact, if you seriously hurt someone that may mess you up almost as bad.

We tend to think of ourselves as something we often are not. Id did for yeas. I thought, dude, your are a very good boxer. One day I really thought about and decided. dude, you sucked!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I've actually seen that kind of superiorist attitudes from all kinds of martial artists, including many in CMA/JMA/KMA. In fact, some of the worst I've seen or experienced has been from some other CMAists. It's not limited to BJJ people. Maybe it's more human nature than style-specific nature?

I trained over a year at a BJJ academy, and maybe I was lucky, but none of the people I trained with there, including the teacher, ever said anything negative about other MAs, that I ever heard. They seemed like a pretty open-minded group.
    I went to my school back in 1999 2000. That's back when the "BJJ is unbeatable" mindset was still very prevalent. Hell I remember the trolls on this forum! The head instructors at the academy were cool but they had some dudes (and a few girls) who were of various belt levels (non black) who would constantly talk smack about such and such style sucking. I came into the school with a background in Judo and high school wrestling. The guy who interviewed me and did my paperwork said "You know all that stuff is **** in comparison to Jiu Jitsu right?" To which I replied "Well that's what I am here to find out." To which he sternly replied "AND FIND OUT YOU WILL!"

I stayed at the school for about 22 months. There were just lots of little things that got on my nerves. I had a Wing Chun t shirt that I got as a free gift with an order from a supply house here in the states. I stopped by the school one day to chat with a friend and one of the senior students saw me and said "So a Gracie JJ T ain't good enough for you?" And he was not kidding. I replied "Well laundry day is on Friday and I had a choice between this one and A Vanilla Ice T (I was joking of course) so there ya go." To which he just scowled. Gracie Jiu jitsu to me was kind of like a hit movie that the critics have over advertised in that I left the theater feeling kind of unimpressed. Now I will say that I did learn lots there about their style of fighting but I also became aware of the *****s in the armor. Nobody at the school had any impressive takedown skills whatsoever including the black belts. Of course I never was allowed to get off my knees until about 7 months. I also noticed that they were pretty effective when you were fighting them with their own stuff but pull out some unorthodox techniques say from wrestling or judo and they could get flustered.

We had an open grappling night where we paired off with random dudes over the whole school. I drew one of the black belts and gave him a pretty hard time and the match basically ended in a draw. Lots of the senior students didn't like that too much cause I used lots of grappling I learned in Judo and wrestling and you know BJJ is spposed to be superior to all that yada...yada...yada.. and so I started getting bullied by lots of the others. In any case their whole attitude changed towards me and I just decided i didn't like the school anymore.

When I trained in Bangkok at the Muay Thai gym I got to fight some guys who were professional MMA and kickboxers from Europe and US. I remember I beat one guy in a match in the morning and he came back and beat me in the afternoon. So who was the badass? And it was often like that in Jiu jitsu tit for tat. So the whole thing of superiority is BS. And also I only had one guy out of all admit to me that he had ever been in real fight. IN the past 20 years I've been in two and those were about 12 years apart.

bjj bullies were kung fu/karate bullies when they were younger. sometimes they got bullied in kung fu so they take it out on kung fu guys.

thing with bjj bullies is they will at least fite u. kung fu bullies ask you for "friendly game of chi sao" then sucker punch u, and brag about it on facebook.

i remember this fat guy told me he "beat up" a bjj guy who was curious about kung fu. basically he told him to completely relax to let him demonstrate a technique then went force force and tore his bicep by surprise. he tried to break my leg by telling me to completely relax and then sitting on my knee.
    Last edited by bawang; 03-13-2015 at 03:24 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    bjj bullies were kung fu/karate bullies when they were younger. sometimes they got bullied in kung fu so they take it out on kung fu guys.

thing with bjj bullies is they will at least fite u. kung fu bullies ask you for "friendly game of chi sao" then sucker punch u, and brag about it on facebook.
    Makes sense Bawang. Hatred because what happened to them while in that system.

I've read that other forum that hate all. I do my best to filter bias. I look for specific information, still we can't help but potentially be effected by what other say if we expose ourselves to it often enough.
    Last edited by boxerbilly; 03-13-2015 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post

i remember this fat guy told me he "beat up" a bjj guy who was curious about kung fu. basically he told him to completely relax to let him demonstrate a technique then went force force and tore his bicep by surprise. he tried to break my leg by telling me to completely relax and then sitting on my knee.
    Actually lots of guys in that school were just there because you had guys like Paul Vunak out there saying "A guy with six months of training can beat black belts from other styles". And that was an actual quote taken from an advertisement in Black Belt Magazine which can be found online by the way. Now that wasn't entirely untrue in context because Royce did win against many experienced martial artists but they were either ****ty wrestlers like Dan Severn or stand up fighters who had absolutely zero knowledge of ground fighting, and a person with a little jiu jitsu could make hay out of the aforementioned. under the right conditions. But after Royce's win the Gracies went on a martial arts bashathon and were peddling BJJ as a Magic Bullet and too many in the martial arts world ate it up. Royce had trained in his family's style since he was in diapers but to suggest that the average Joe Blow could just take a novice level course in BJJ and beat up Manny Pacqiao is a bit of a stretch. Hey I lived through that **** so don't anyone try and tell me it didn't occur. I saw the original UFC1 about 4 months after it happened. Back then I had a little Judo and a lot of HS wrestling. I was also quite a scrapper in HS and back in those days I lost count how many fights I'd been in. Of course that all ended when I no longer had to go to my crappy high school. But honestly when I saw the 1st UFC I was not so utterly impressed with Royce as I was dumbfounded that most of his opponents thought they could beat him in his obviously strongest position - the guard. Not one of them tried to break his guard (quite easy to do and anyone on this forum could accomplish it) and just back off and make him stand back up. As the years passed and the sport grew you had guys like Marco Ruas and Don Frye who could both grapple and punch your lights out and by that time the Gracies had disappeared faster than a ninja in a smoke cloud. And when guys like Frank Shamrock started beating them what did they do? Whine and make excuses which is what Royce and Rorion accused others of doing after their initial wins. I was curious about BJJ and that's why I decided to join my school but I just got turned off by the disrespect that existed and that came right from the top. If you want any proof of my claims just google up some back issues of BB magazine from 1993 to 98 and you'll have your reading cut out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by boxerbilly View Post
    Makes sense Bawang. Hatred because what happened to them while in that system.

I've read that other forum that hate all. I do my best to filter bias. I look for specific information, still we can't help but potentially be effected by what other say if we expose ourselves to it often enough.
    the mental abuse kung fu/karate can put on you makes mma gym bullying/intimidation look like rainbow pride parade

nothing can describe the humiliation and anguish when a morbidly obese guy snorts at you and say "yeah, that guy is never gonna learn the buddha palm set" or a pimple faced fergert looks at u with contempt and say "sorry, tuesday is invite only"
    Last edited by bawang; 03-13-2015 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brat View Post
    I went to my school back in 1999 2000. That's back when the "BJJ is unbeatable" mindset was still very prevalent. Hell I remember the trolls on this forum! The head instructors at the academy were cool but they had some dudes (and a few girls) who were of various belt levels (non black) who would constantly talk smack about such and such style sucking. I came into the school with a background in Judo and high school wrestling. The guy who interviewed me and did my paperwork said "You know all that stuff is **** in comparison to Jiu Jitsu right?" To which I replied "Well that's what I am here to find out." To which he sternly replied "AND FIND OUT YOU WILL!"

I stayed at the school for about 22 months. There were just lots of little things that got on my nerves. I had a Wing Chun t shirt that I got as a free gift with an order from a supply house here in the states. I stopped by the school one day to chat with a friend and one of the senior students saw me and said "So a Gracie JJ T ain't good enough for you?" And he was not kidding. I replied "Well laundry day is on Friday and I had a choice between this one and A Vanilla Ice T (I was joking of course) so there ya go." To which he just scowled. Gracie Jiu jitsu to me was kind of like a hit movie that the critics have over advertised in that I left the theater feeling kind of unimpressed. Now I will say that I did learn lots there about their style of fighting but I also became aware of the *****s in the armor. Nobody at the school had any impressive takedown skills whatsoever including the black belts. Of course I never was allowed to get off my knees until about 7 months. I also noticed that they were pretty effective when you were fighting them with their own stuff but pull out some unorthodox techniques say from wrestling or judo and they could get flustered.

We had an open grappling night where we paired off with random dudes over the whole school. I drew one of the black belts and gave him a pretty hard time and the match basically ended in a draw. Lots of the senior students didn't like that too much cause I used lots of grappling I learned in Judo and wrestling and you know BJJ is spposed to be superior to all that yada...yada...yada.. and so I started getting bullied by lots of the others. In any case their whole attitude changed towards me and I just decided i didn't like the school anymore.

When I trained in Bangkok at the Muay Thai gym I got to fight some guys who were professional MMA and kickboxers from Europe and US. I remember I beat one guy in a match in the morning and he came back and beat me in the afternoon. So who was the badass? And it was often like that in Jiu jitsu tit for tat. So the whole thing of superiority is BS. And also I only had one guy out of all admit to me that he had ever been in real fight. IN the past 20 years I've been in two and those were about 12 years apart.
    If those students had any intelligence, they'd have known that BJJ is a form of old-school Judo. Judo is a more modern form of Jujitsu. Back in Maeda's day, the terms Judo and Jujitsu/Jiu-Jitsu were used interchangeably for the same art, even in Japan. I remember one ignoramus on another forum 'authoritatively' stated that 'BJJ is not related to Japanese Jujitsu at all, that's why it's spelled J-I-U-J-I-T-S-U." The real terms are in Japanese Kanji characters, not in the Western spellings. Even Rickson Geacie stated in an interview that Gracie JJ is a Japanese MA, much of which had not been practiced in Japan for decades, and he was happy to introduce it back into Japan.

To be honest, if someone at a school came across that obnoxious, I'd walk out without signing. Life is too short to waste it associating with a-holes, especially if I have a choice in the matter.

Yes, I was here and remember the early days when KFM was kungfu online, and trolls like TKDman, and the BJJ trolls as well.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 03-13-2015 at 05:33 PM.

If those students had any intelligence, they'd have known that BJJ is a form of old-school Judo. Judo is a more modern form of Jujitsu. Back in Maeda's day, the terms Judo and Jujitsu/Jiu-Jitsu were used interchangeably for the same art, even in Japan. I remember one ignoramus on another forum 'authoritatively' stated that 'BJJ is not related to Japanese Jujitsu at all, that's why it's spelled J-I-U-J-I-T-S-U." The real terms are in Japanese Kanji characters, not in the Western spelling. Even Rickson Geacie stated in an interview that Gracie JJ is a Japanese MA, much of which had not been practiced in Japan for decades, and he was happy to introduce it back into Japan.

To be honest, if someone at a school came across that obnoxious, I'd walk out without signing. Life is too short to waste it associating with a-holes, especially if I have a choice in the matter.

Yes, I was here and remember the early days when KFM was kungfu online, and trolls like TKDman, and the BJJ trolls as well.
    Nice post. I got into an argument with my brother about the real history of Gracie Jujitsu. He choked me out~!

i miss ray pina

If those students had any intelligence, they'd have known that BJJ is a form of old-school Judo. Judo is a more modern form of Jujitsu. Back in Maeda's day, the terms Judo and Jujitsu/Jiu-Jitsu were used interchangeably for the same art, even in Japan. I remember one ignoramus on another forum 'authoritatively' stated that 'BJJ is not related to Japanese Jujitsu at all, that's why it's spelled J-I-U-J-I-T-S-U." The real terms are in Japanese Kanji characters, not in the Western spellings. Even Rickson Geacie stated in an interview that Gracie JJ is a Japanese MA, much of which had not been practiced in Japan for decades, and he was happy to introduce it back into Japan.

I couldn't agree with you more Jimbo but hindsight is always 20-20. It was in fact one of the only reputable MA schools around at that time in my area. We had a couple TKD schools that had come and gone but that wasn't really up my alley. TKDman? Wow you and I are both old ****s! I actually was being stalked by one of the trolls on here. It was after the incident at the school where I rolled with that black belt I talked about in the previous post. I mentioned it on one of the posts here. One of the "esteemed" posters called BS because obviously no one could take a BJJ black belt, it just wasn't possible. Well the poster demanded that I show credibility by listing name, rank, and the name of the school. I saw no need to reveal personal info over an incident that I really didn't care whether someone believed me or not so I declined and was assaulted day in and out here by this guy and his gang of goons in both open and personal message. But that was NOT the end. I actually told them where the school was and I was in college back at the time and one day in the student union a guy from the school hailed me from across the food court. What follows is unbelievable. Apparently, the assist. instructor received a phone call from a person claiming to be with the FBI. The "agent" gave his name and asked about the incident and wanted them to reveal the name of the person involved as part of an "ongoing investigation". Well the assistant instructor happened to be the guy I rolled with and told whoever it was (obviously using an assumed name) that he was the other party involved and gave his name, rank, and credentials but said that unless the "agent" appeared with a federal warrant that the school's membership roster must remain confidential as per company policy. Of course this prompted me to go down to the school and talk to him. No one ever called back or showed up but I was a little unnerved that someone was trying to get ahold of my personal info. over something so trivial. I PM'd the poster in question because I am pretty sure that impersonating a federal agent is a federal offense and told him that if he or anyone else persisted in the matter that I would promptly squeal like a pig and inform the FBI of all I knew about the matter. He never responded and I can't prove that it was him or any one of the other goons but I know it had to be.

Brat, that is INSANE !

As I told you in a pm, I fell bad about pestering someone recently for something I am searching for. Horrible in fact.

But for someone to f!@# with you like that is just psycho.