Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wujido: What the f is this sht?

I usually leave this kind of stuff to the Bullshido crew. But of course every legitimate martial artist including Bruce Lee has been trashed over there so .....?

Quote Originally Posted by Brat View Post
    I usually leave this kind of stuff to the Bullshido crew. But of course every legitimate martial artist including Bruce Lee has been trashed over there so .....?
    Right, legit martial arts like Shaolin Do and Ashida Kim. Yeah, totally legit.
    "I'm a highly ranked officer of his tong. HE is the Dragon Head. our BOSS. our LEADER. the Mountain Lord." - hskwarrior

Bullsheeto is the only place damaged goods can be free. It's like YMCA for ADHD. Think if they were like democrats and not obsessed with moshing in one pit? Then it would be all over the place
    "The perfect way to do, is to be" ~ Lao Tzu

Let's not turn our KFM forum into BS-Do

I've been lurking on this thread because it's rather funny, but I do hold the trepidation that it is too BullShiDo like. I don't really have any issues with BS-Do (apart from the fact that if you goog my name, their Gene Ching Hurt My Feelings still pops up as the 5th listing), but they do what they do - BS - and we do what we do here - sell KFM....er, I mean discussing Chinese martial arts and stuff. Yeah, that's it.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

most ballsack do forum members are wing chun+ 3 month bjj or taekwondo + 3 month bjj training

srs

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by pazman View Post
    Right, legit martial arts like Shaolin Do and Ashida Kim. Yeah, totally legit.
    Bullshido has also trashed legitimate people all over the place with the exception being of course if your last name happens to be Gracie. I don't take issue with the obvious frauds but what I can't stand is the small dojo trashing. Bullshido has become the Yelp of martial arts. One thing I don't like is every time they send an undercover person to check out a school that person always is from a BJJ background. That's kind of a conflict of interest seeing how most BJJ people think that traditional martial arts are **** anyway so no matter what happens or doesn't they'e likely not going to dig themselves out of the hole that has already been dug in the reviewer's mind. It sarted out aa good idea but now you've got video game warriors all over the place saying "Oh this dojo over on 8th street is horse ****...." and there's not much the owner can do unless they want to get ganged up on and trashed more.
    Last edited by Brat; 03-11-2015 at 08:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I don't really have any issues with BS-Do (apart from the fact that if you goog my name, their Gene Ching Hurt My Feelings still pops up as the 5th listing)...
    I think the moral here is to stop being such a nice guy. Apparently it hurts people's feelings!

Now, now, let's not turn this into a BS-Do trashing thread either.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    I think the moral here is to stop being such a nice guy. Apparently it hurts people's feelings!
    haaaaaaaaaa. I'm only nice online. It befuddles the trolls. Give a troll a retort and he'll flame you all day. Show a troll some etiquette...and well, he'll prolly still flame you all day, but at least you didn't sully yourself.

Actually, that 'Gene Ching Hurt My Feelings' thread is freakin' hilarious. A troll we booted off of here ran crying to BS-Do, which was the wrong place to go to seek sanctuary. I'm just bummed that goog chooses to place that above any of the threads here. The highest KFM thread on my vanity search is 3 slots lower: Shaolin-Trips-by-Gene-Ching
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    haaaaaaaaaa. I'm only nice online. It befuddles the trolls. Give a troll a retort and he'll flame you all day. Show a troll some etiquette...and well, he'll prolly still flame you all day, but at least you didn't sully yourself.

Actually, that 'Gene Ching Hurt My Feelings' thread is freakin' hilarious. A troll we booted off of here ran crying to BS-Do, which was the wrong place to go to seek sanctuary. I'm just bummed that goog chooses to place that above any of the threads here. The highest KFM thread on my vanity search is 3 slots lower: Shaolin-Trips-by-Gene-Ching
    I didn't even know about that thread until you mentioned it. Thanks, Gene, I'll have to check it out now!

If Gene had a Kung Fu Tumblr account, he'd have white knight social justice warriors all over him erry day!

I'll bring my broom.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Great, you'll drive up the hit count for goog...

...as long as it doesn't get higher than my facebook page. Stupid google.

Actually, I just reviewed that old BS-Do thread myself again. Man, that was 2006. How time flies. Y'all remember MARTIALSTUDANT? I must give props to BS-Do's Samuel Browning, as he helped me out with a very unsavory situation that happened under our previous editor.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    If Gene had a Kung Fu Tumblr account, he'd have white knight social justice warriors all over him erry day!
    You know I'd much rather have black knights. " 'Tis but a scratch!"
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I really didn't mean for this to be a BSDo thread...I've always thought KFM was much more light-hearted than the serious investigation threads over at BSDo, and my intent was to make a "wtf" funny-uh-oh thread. As with topics like these, the line between what is too crazy and just crazy enough is always a blurry line in the kung fu world.

I'm interested as to why "Brat" would consider James Harkins (the world famous Wujido master) to be legitimate.
    "I'm a highly ranked officer of his tong. HE is the Dragon Head. our BOSS. our LEADER. the Mountain Lord." - hskwarrior

When do threads ever go where we mean them to go with this gang?

the line between what is too crazy and just crazy enough is always a blurry line in the kung fu world.
    So true, pazman, so very true.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I really didn't mean for this to be a BSDo thread...I've always thought KFM was much more light-hearted than the serious investigation threads over at BSDo, and my intent was to make a "wtf" funny-uh-oh thread. As with topics like these, the line between what is too crazy and just crazy enough is always a blurry line in the kung fu world.

I'm interested as to why "Brat" would consider James Harkins (the world famous Wujido master) to be legitimate.
    My God I challenge anyone to pull the quote where I made the statement where I said this guy was legitimate. I don't even know who the #### he is.

I simple took issue with Bullshido in general because when they do a "serious" investigation of a school in question (particularly a TMA school) why is it that the "investigator" almost always has a background in BJJ/grappling? I remember reading the review of the Larry Sanders (Sijo) guy that was done over there. Now I must admit that the guy seems shady (50+ black belts) but the reviewer (a female) stated up front that her background is in grappling particularly Gracie Jiu jitsu. I am a Gracie Alumni. I trained at a BJJ school for almost two years. I left for a variety of reasons but primarily I got tired of all the machismo and "your martial art is ****" talk that is prevalent there. I have trained in a variety of martial arts for a variety of reasons and each has contributed to my overall fitness in that area. I claim not one to be superior to the rest.

I don't take any issue with her making an issue with his supposed military background (which was shady), but I didn't like the snarky way she commented on the proceedings in the class. Trust me I've seen lots of this with the grapplers. Let's say I opened a school where I taught Xingyi Quan which is the martial art I have the most experience in (though my only official ranks are in Hapkido - 1st Dan, and Muay Thai - Professional Thai Boxer World Muay Thai Federation). Now I know that one of the criticisms of BSDO is that schools don't train in realistic fashion which from the perspective of a grappler means rolling around on the floor for 98% of your training session. But in my hypothetical class we don't ground and pound 24/7 and what happens if he/she comes on a day where we are doing just qigong or on a week where I am trying to train my students in something other than balls to the wall brawling?

And then there's always the question of lineage and such. I trained in Bangkok (at the same time I was training in Muay Thai) with a Thai gentleman who had lived for many years in China and studied Xingyi quan. He was the real deal although I don't have any idea where or who he learned it from and I might not be able to find him if I returned to Thailand. In fact when I returned stateside I ran into a guy who had been a student of Earle Montaigue. The guy guy had minimal power and when we were doing some training together I knocked him flat on the floor with a crushing fist punch and he exclaimed "That's not Xingyi!" Oh yeah it was. And I want to make it clear I am not making a statement that Earle was a bad martial artist only that this guy who had studied with him (and he had proof) seemingly had a much shallower understanding of Xingyi technique than did I who trained under a no name instructor. He could prove lineage I could not.

Let me sum it up. A BJJ grappler has zero business scrutinizing my school unless of course I am advertizing that I also teach BJJ (which I probably would throw some in now and then but I would never advertize it). But these "reviewers" make qualitative assemssments every day about martial arts they know nothing about all the while maintining the moral high ground that their art is superior to all others.

Oh and I need to make a correction in my last post. I stated that my ranking in Muay Thai was from the Wold Muay Thai Federation. It is actually Word Muay Thai Council. My ranking in Hapkido is from the International Hapkido Federation and I sometimes get the words confused.