Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Martial arts instructional videos

Martial arts instructional videos

Hello fellow forum members. It was recently suggested to me by another poster that we should perhaps start a martial arts instructional video sharing group. I have a ton of instructional vids but I am most interested in the Panther Productions videos which are not being produced anymore. I am going to list my collection here and if anyone has any other videos they would like to share or trade etc. please post them.

Here's the list:

Hsing-i Chuan James McNeil vols 1-10 My rating: 4 out of 5 stars

These were some pretty good vids and they feature the entire style. The reason that I didn't give it 5 stars is because James leaves a lot of info about the internal aspects of Hsing-i but to be fair so do most others who have produced vids. I actually studied Hsing-i under a real master in Asia many years after I bought these vids. I have incorporated some of the routines into my training such as the linking chain form which helps to lead chi into the extremitie between the elements and also his tiger form has 5 differnet variations which I thought was kind of cool. If you practiced the forms just off James' explanations and instructions without the knowledge of real internal Kung fu you'd end up mediocre at best.

Raul Ortiz - 7 Star Praying Mantis Kung Fu vols 1-9 My rating 4 out of 5 stars

These are also some pretty good vids and like Hsing-i I have also studied Praying Mantis in Asia. His style is very similar to mine with some variation. Each tape is a form or collection of forms which are then broke down into practical application. The main drawback of these tapes is like so many others from Panther there's lots of needless repetition and sometimes Raul doesn't explain some of the hand forms and you can't always tell which one he's doing in a particular move. Also included are forms in weapons - broadsword, staff, and spear.

Marco Ruas Vale Tudo vols 1-14 My rating 3 out of 5 stars

The content of these tapes is actually quite good but if you cut out the needless repetition they would be about 15 minutes each. These tapes are only one set of two from which I have actually used some of the material in a real fight. Originally Panther had these priced at $90.00 a piece.

Judo Gene Lebell Pro Wrestling finishing holds vols 1-3 My Rating 5 out of 5 stars

Gene's presentation n these vids is hillarious. About 40% of the moves he shows are show moves but these 3 tapes are jam packed with material. Also this is the other set of tapes that I have actually used some of the material in a real fight. Back in HS I was sitting on the bus with some kid who had mental probs and he didn't like the fact I as in the seat with him. He began hitting struggling with me and hitting me. I used the "cobra lock" that Gene demonstrated on tape 3 I think it was and it held him until the driver could come back and take over.

Miguel Ibarra Akijiujitsu vols 1-7 My rating 4 out of 5 stars

There's lots of good techinques on these vids but as always some pointless repetition.

Ken Ota Mastering Aikido vols 1-6 4 out of 5 stars

These tapes are very good on the instructional side and they don't leave much in question. Not as bad on the repetition as some of the others.

Paul Vunak Jeet Kune do Concepts 14 vols

I don't have much info on these as I hanven't really sat down and watched them much.

Peter Chema Shuai Jiao vols 1-10 3 out of 5 stars

Some good stuff on this set. Lots of it is pretty much the same stuff you'd find on any Judo vid but there are some unique moves here and there.

Shoto Tanemura Samurai Hanbojutsu Vols 1-6 5 out of 5 stars

Stick fighting. Pretty good and thorough instruction from wat I can tell. Goes far beyond what you normally find in a weapons tape set.

Bas Rutten Extreme Pancrease vols 1-10 4 out of 5 stars

Primarily MMA stuff. Good detailed instruction and if memory serves this was one of the more popular Panther sets.

Gary Castanza Zen Sekai Goshin Jitsu vols 1-7 3 out of 5 stars

Apparently a "conceived" style heavy on Judo techniques. I did a little research and found that Gary died a few years after making these. A lot of it seems too slow to be used against an aggressive attacker.

Robert Crosson Sugar Ryu Jujitsu vols 1-6 3 out of 5 stars

Afro-jitsu! If you've seen the movie Black Belt Jones then you'll have an idea what these are like. Most of it is pre grappling age standard street fare Karate. Some of the moves are interesting but I have my doubts as to the effectiveness of much of it in a modern context.

Salem Assili Savate vols 1-10 5 out of 5 stars

What I really liked about these are the conditioning tapes as they gave me a ton of stretching techniques I never knew existed. Lots of very unique leg attacks from the savate style. In my opinion a good style to study for stand up MMA.

The rest of what I have are partials but I do have some complete sets of non Panther videos in BJJ, Sambo, and others. I also have the Panther Bong soo Han Hapkido set but these are on youtube. I have the complete set of Keith Shwartz Judo set but these are available on Yoku (Chinese youtuvbe).

I will be acquiring the JoeJitsu BJJ Panther set soon as well as Fairiborz Azhakh Hapkido set and the Joo Bang Lee Hwarang do set.
    If anyone else has some vids and wants to share please post them.
    Last edited by Brat; 03-11-2015 at 04:52 PM.

All very nice stuff.

You have anything more original? Less available?

Quote Originally Posted by boxerbilly View Post
    All very nice stuff.

You have anything more original? Less available?
    I have Reza Nasri Vols 2, 3, 5, and 7. I have a couple of the Don Frye's on the way and I am getting ready to buy a couple of Kimo's I've found. Also I have a few of the Augustine Fong Vids and Frank Cucci's.
    Last edited by Brat; 03-11-2015 at 05:10 PM.

Fongs were the first 2 wing chun videos I bought. I only have 2. But, the entire set was posted on youtube awhile back.

The best part of Cucci's series was his interview. Not that his series is bad but if you have Vunak or Inosanto videos , again all over youtube and the other place. Well you seen Cucci's stuff.

Daniel Duby's videos are better street. Assili better ring. In fact, Assili's self defense video flat out sucked!

LeBells vids , I did not care for and I don't think many could have taken that guy. I just did not care for them.

All the others you listed are very good for what they are. Some excellent. By the way, Steve Torres is in the Crosson Videos. He is the PR with the mustache. Nice guy I always thought but man did people talk **** behind his back. Also, I'm fairly certain Raul Ortiz is Torres cousin.99.9% sure. That's what I was told anyway.
    Last edited by boxerbilly; 03-11-2015 at 05:27 PM.

I don't see any Carl Cestari. Not the everyone gots that stuff. The stuff only inner circle guys have. Yeah, I got that! Private stuff. Stuff with Carl taking lessons. Some good some bad. Carl liked me once upon a time. He is dead now. Have a handful of Charles Nelson VHS. Kind of a lot of Scars. Lot of San Soo. Even more Kenpo. Stuff never on trackers or youtube. Some very rare stuff. Original cuts of stuff latter made into compilation videos for sale. Much I bought much was gifted to me from a great friend.

I know I am not the only one. Obviously many have stuff no one else has.

I mentioned a buyers club because I have done that in the past. Not saying I would join. Depends on the direction of the buys.

I don't see any Carl Cestari. Not the everyone gots that stuff. The stuff only inner circle guys have. Yeah, I got that! Private stuff. Stuff with Carl taking lessons. Some good some bad. Carl liked me once upon a time. He is dead now. Have a handful of Charles Nelson VHS. Kind of a lot of Scars. Lot of San Soo. Even more Kenpo. Stuff never on trackers or youtube. Some very rare stuff. Original cuts of stuff latter made into compilation videos for sale. Much I bought much was gifted to me from a great friend.

I know I am not the only one. Obviously many have stuff no one else has.

I mentioned a buyers club because I have done that in the past. Not saying I would join. Depends on the direction of the buys.
    You mentioned Scars. I don't really have much interest in this set but I have a guy who wants to trade some vids for a Lew Hicks SAFTA. He won't let go of his stuff only for that. No idea why. If you've got that I'd be interested in it. I also have access to the Muhammed Tabatai Kenpo stuff. Like you I am looking for lots of the odd stuff like the Pauli Zink monkey tapes (I think there were 3 total). Also the James Lacy stuff I would be interested in. I have a way to get about 50+ of the videos that we are talking about but as of right now the guy wants more for them than I can swing. That might change in a few weeks who knows.

Fongs were the first 2 wing chun videos I bought. I only have 2. But, the entire set was posted on youtube awhile back.

Daniel Duby's videos are better street. Assili better ring. In fact, Assili's self defense video flat out sucked!
    Panther's self defense videos sucked in general. It was part of their format because everyone who did a Panther video had one. I used to belong to a Gracie Jiu Jitsu school and I commented to the head instructor about how bad the Gracie self defense video was and he said yeah Rorion even admitted it wasn't very good but that was the format required and they had to throw some stuff together so there you go.

Quote Originally Posted by Brat View Post
    You mentioned Scars. I don't really have much interest in this set but I have a guy who wants to trade some vids for a Lew Hicks SAFTA. He won't let go of his stuff only for that. No idea why. If you've got that I'd be interested in it. I also have access to the Muhammed Tabatai Kenpo stuff. Like you I am looking for lots of the odd stuff like the Pauli Zink monkey tapes (I think there were 3 total). Also the James Lacy stuff I would be interested in. I have a way to get about 50+ of the videos that we are talking about but as of right now the guy wants more for them than I can swing. That might change in a few weeks who knows.

I have Lew Hicks SAFTA !

Kenpo I have Tabatai. Like 15 Tatum. David German. Lee Bachman. Chuck Sullivan. Al Tracy. Kuoha . And 2 other guys. Both Bald. I forget their names. I probably have one or 2 other guys as well. I'd need to check.

I feel for you man. It costs!
    Last edited by boxerbilly; 03-11-2015 at 07:32 PM.

I have Lew Hicks SAFTA !

Kenpo I have Tabatai. Like 15 Tatum. David German. Lee Bachman. Chuck Sullivan. Al Tracy. Kuoha . And 2 other guys. Both Bald. I forget their names. I probably have one or 2 other guys as well. I'd need to check.

I feel for you man. It costs!

What would it take to get a copy of Safta? I mean that one is worth about 10 vids to me.

Gene Chicoines Iron Palm video would do it!

Most guys are ****s when it comes to trading. Those that do it I mean. Meaning you always get took on the trade. Everybody looking to get the better deal. It's crap! I'm not. One for one. Hell dude. I can do better than that. Id give you 10 for that 1! How is that for fair? I am very appreciative but I am also very specific in what I want. So, that is what I would give it up for. And you will get the better deal, I'd ensure you did. BUT good luck getting that video.

Most guys are ****s when it comes to trading. Those that do it I mean. Meaning you always get took on the trade. Everybody looking to get the better deal. It's crap! I'm not. One for one. Hell dude. I can do better than that. Id give you 10 for that 1! How is that for fair? I am very appreciative but I am also very specific in what I want. So, that is what I would give it up for. And you will get the better deal, I'd ensure you did. BUT good luck getting that video.
    I'll see what I can do. I make good on my trades and heck I would be willing to buy it outright for the right price. Man that takes me back a few years. I remember the whole Jerry Peterson, Lew hicks, Tim Larkin drama. I actually ordered the original HCS 2 video set around 1994 from TRS. I didn't have much experience back then beyond HS wrestling and some crappy martial arts classes I'd had. I paid like $100 for that crap which back then was a lot of money. I was a bit disappointed because the techniques were pretty basic and even then I didn't go along with Peterson's "autonomic reaction" crap. I was a schoolyard brawler before I eve had any formal training and I knew from experience that no one reacts the exact same way every single time. I have some of the Tim Larkin stuff that a friend gave me and it looks like Scars with a lot more explanation. Some of the techs seem too complicated to be of much use in real life. I've never seen the Safta tape only the intro to the tapes that is on youtube but I've been told it's basically the same as Scars. Hicks disappeared and I haven't heard anything out of Peterson after the Navy got onto him for using the SEAL Team to promote his stuff. Memories..

I'll trade. I will not bootleg for dollars. Not ever! So, I have nothing to sell. That's not an option. But, Like you I have bought bootlegs. I would never sell them.

Glad to read you make good on your end with things. Thankfully most people do.

Trust me. Don't seek that video I want. It's not worth the headache. Thanks for the offer. If by chance you do get it. PM me and I'm sure we could work out something. In fact, I'd rather not discuss trades on an open forum.

I said, buying group, lol. I just noticed you wrote trading group. I know, its the same sort of but not exactly.

Actually some I have been looking for and absolutely cannot find are the Michael de Alba Hwarang do vids and the original Oleg Taktarov set. The de Alba Panther vids I think are in fact that reason that he and Joo Bang Lee (JBL) (RIP) had the big falling out which led to Lee stripping de Alba of all his very high rankings and throwing him under the bus. Those are two sets that I can't get anything on no matter where I look. The de Alba vids were reputed to be better than the JBL ones but panther discontinued that set after the bruhaha with Lee resulting in Lee making his own set with the company. The Taktarov Sambo set wasn't advertised for very long by Panther and thy had that other set, the Tony Lopez ones which are on youtube now.

I have one crappy vhs rip of deAlba. It is a BAD copy. Not sure if it is Panther.

I have all the Tony Lopez Vids.