Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: James Lacy has passed

James Lacy has passed

I'm not sure peoples feelings on lacy. I really don't care. I knew guys that worked at Panther Productions. I knew who Joe Jennings was. I've been inside Panther a few times back in the 90's. I went to eat with Steve Torres a couple of times and trained with guys under his linage. No one said anything negative about Lacy. Said, his breaks were legit.

Rest in Peace Jim

http://www.ironpalm.com/index.html

RIP to that guy.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Condolences

Lacy used to write for Kung Fu Tai Chi. That was before my watch here, so I never met him or interacted with him.

A cursory search of our archives brings up these, but I think there were more. Like I said, it was before my watch so I'm not really sure.

Shaolin and Immortal's blood Heaven's Chi Dim Mak By James Lacy and Lindsay Anglen - Winter 1995

Clouds from Heaven: High Level Stationary Iron Palm Coconut Break Meditation By James Lacy - JAN 2000
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I did read one accusation about some "great master" that supposedly gave him an "honorary certificate to fool old people" which he subsequently supposedly mis-used.
    What "great honorable master" issues phony seals to impress unknowing elderly? I submit that if he was guilty of some carnival, he may have learned it by example. (The hot air blown at one little one - blows the clothes off their big one? They may be too thick to get that....)

In short & simple, I take all things "bullshido" as a case of pot & kettle and all things
    Name:  download (8).jpg
Views: 1478
Size:  9.3 KB
    As evidence of the big wide wonderful world - ticket holder take care
    "The perfect way to do, is to be" ~ Lao Tzu

I knew James Lacy for a while during my Kenpo days (late '70s, early '80s), before he got into the coconut breaking stuff. He was of average ability, but was a nice guy nonetheless. RIP.

There is a rumor that Doo Wai has also passed? Any word?
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Condolences,

mickey

Request info

Quote Originally Posted by boxerbilly View Post
    I'm not sure peoples feelings on lacy. I really don't care. I knew guys that worked at Panther Productions. I knew who Joe Jennings was. I've been inside Panther a few times back in the 90's. I went to eat with Steve Torres a couple of times and trained with guys under his linage. No one said anything negative about Lacy. Said, his breaks were legit.

Rest in Peace Jim

http://www.ironpalm.com/index.html
    I just found out about this last week. I am in the process of collecting old panther videos (kind of a hobby for me). I have a goal to collect all of them and I currently have about 3/4 of the original offerings. I am mostly interested in VHS. Since you have first hand knowledge of Panther I would like to ask you a few questions, just for personal interest. When did Panther Productions go out of business and why? I know that the business of videos got really competitive and all but Panther was the biggest video supplier out there for a long time. I originally found out about Lacy because I was looking for his videos and his son has taken over the business but wants about 1100.00 for the complete set. Too much seeing how aftermarket retailers sell them for 10-14 bucks a piece. Also if you know how I could pick up some more titles that info would be much appreciated. I am interested in Lacy's complete set and also some of the other very hard to find ones like Paulie ZInk's monkey kung fu set (not the Taoist yoga as that can be easily acquired) and te Dan Cohen floor fighting ones. Thanks.

Lacy's Passing

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Lacy used to write for Kung Fu Tai Chi. That was before my watch here, so I never met him or interacted with him.

A cursory search of our archives brings up these, but I think there were more. Like I said, it was before my watch so I'm not really sure.

Shaolin and Immortal's blood Heaven's Chi Dim Mak By James Lacy and Lindsay Anglen - Winter 1995

Clouds from Heaven: High Level Stationary Iron Palm Coconut Break Meditation By James Lacy - JAN 2000

James Lacy was definitely one of the many interesting characters in TMA. I really kind of miss those days now that I think of it. You had him and many others each representing their individual system and it's what sold magazines. I remember reading an article that Lacy wrote in Black Belt Magazine which I subscribed to at the time. I stopped subscribing when Black Belt basically sold their souls to the Gracie family and the UFC. What I wanted to read about were interesting guys like Lacy not Royce or Rickson and their endless self promotion and the ever present "your TMA is sh!t!" I Then subscribed to Inside Kung Fu which promoted the K-1 tournament but still had lots of interesting artiles a few of which featured Lacy. I met a guy once who said he had met Lacy at some MA event. He said the guy was freaking huge but seemed like he had a good attitude and was pretty cool.

I think Joe Jennings sold Panther to Century over a decade back. WHY? Money! Of course he may have realized the time for all this stuff passed. He is a SMART business man.

Century has dropped most of the old Panther line. I saw Paulie Zink's Yoga video on YouTube a few years back. I'm not sure if it is still on that?

I have a few complete Panther sets. And single tapes out of series. I have Lacy's IP 1 and 6. 6 is the coconuts breaking. It's really boring! I've never seen any other videos from Lacy. I heard he did all right cash wise from the series, at least at first. Think his IP series or a couple of the tapes in it was in the top 10ish sale wise for Panther, for a spell. Don't think the Dim Mak series did so good.
    Well, Lacys son owns the rights and he can ask whatever he wants for the videos.

When Panther sold, I was long gone for San Clemente and out of that loop. Gary Forbach had a school in the south end. Vunak used to come to SC all the time , his favorite Sushi place was in town. I never saw him or met him. I did meet Raul Reis and got a book he wrote about himself. He is a Kung Fu San Soo guy. I never studied that. There was no San Soo in town then.
    Last edited by boxerbilly; 03-10-2015 at 07:42 PM.

I think Joe Jennings sold Panther to Century over a decade back. WHY? Money! Of course he may have realized the time for all this stuff passed. He is a SMART business man.

Century has dropped most of the old Panther line. I saw Paulie Zink's Yoga video on YouTube a few years back. I'm not sure if it is still on that?

I have a few complete Panther sets. And single tapes out of series. I have Lacy's IP 1 and 6. 6 is the coconuts breaking. It's really boring! I've never seen any other videos from Lacy. I heard he did all right cash wise from the series, at least at first. Think his IP series or a couple of the tapes in it was in the top 10ish sale wise for Panther, for a spell. Don't think the Dim Mak series did so good.
    Well, Lacys son owns the rights and he can ask whatever he wants for the videos.

When Panther sold, I was long gone for San Clemente and out of that loop. Gary Forbach had a school in the south end. Vunak used to come to SC all the time , his favorite Sushi place was in town. I never saw him or met him. I did meet Raul Reis and got a book he wrote about himself. He is a Kung Fu San Soo guy. I never studied that. There was no San Soo in town then.
    Thanks for the info boxerbilly. The reason I asked why is because I heard the rumor that the company lost money bad somehow and was forced to sell to century. Like I said just a rumor. When century picked up the tapes and dvds they basically sold them out and that was it. I have tried to order a few with a little success. Others they list as being in stock and when you try to order them they send an email saying that the line is out of stock and wont be replenished. That Paulie Zink video is only the intro to the vid not the actual content but I know where to get that vid if I want it. Budovideos sells some in complete sets but no individual videos that I know of and you pretty much have to contact them by email to get an idea of what they've really got. I have tracked down some of Kimo's and Don Frye's on Amazon but they are individual vids. I also heard the Lacy dim mak vids were pretty bad and I think that's what started some of the controversy with him. I would like to see them anyway someday. I guess I'll keep looking.

You may in fact be correct. My main contact through them was students of Steve Torres. But knowing who Joe Jennings was. Even if the company went bankrupt, he did not. I believe he teaches seminars in Isshin Ryu at present. He is basically retired last I heard.

Also, I think many of the video presenters ie. Lacy. Vunak , etc. Also were co-owners of the videos. Hence some retained rights to publish for sale themselves. Which is why you see certain Panter videos sold as new elsewhere. I know Bill Wallace allowed all I believe of his videos to be released on Youtube.

Anyway, I just happened to live in the city where Panther was. And I went up there a few times. Met Joe Jennings and knew briefly 2 guys that worked there through the guys I worked out with in Isshin Ryu.

Good luck on your quest. It is expensive for sure. I've spent THOUSANDS on videos/dvds over the years. We should form a buying club and share with-in the members.

You may in fact be correct. My main contact through them was students of Steve Torres. But knowing who Joe Jennings was. Even if the company went bankrupt, he did not. I believe he teaches seminars in Isshin Ryu at present. He is basically retired last I heard.

Also, I think many of the video presenters ie. Lacy. Vunak , etc. Also were co-owners of the videos. Hence some retained rights to publish for sale themselves. Which is why you see certain Panter videos sold as new elsewhere. I know Bill Wallace allowed all I believe of his videos to be released on Youtube.

Anyway, I just happened to live in the city where Panther was. And I went up there a few times. Met Joe Jennings and knew briefly 2 guys that worked there through the guys I worked out with in Isshin Ryu.

Good luck on your quest. It is expensive for sure. I've spent THOUSANDS on videos/dvds over the years. We should form a buying club and share with-in the members.
    That's a dang good idea boxerbilly. Later on I'll put up a post listing the titles I've got. Like i said before I estimate that I have about 3/4 of the videos. Some of these are getting pretty rare. I originally bought complete sets of James Mcneil Hsing-i, Marco Ruas Vale Tudo, William Sanders - Pencak Silat. .Since the company closed I've bought up some of the other sets and/or traded some where I could find them. The ones I don't have complete sets for are the Don Frye, Kimo Leopoldo, Mark Kerr, and Reza Nasri series. Oh and I have the fundamental and kata's from the ishin Ryu set but not the weapons.

I think all the Isshin Ryu vids are on YouTube. I was never real impressed by that series even if I was in the art for a time.

I have video 1 and Advanced video 1 or 2 from Sanders Panther series. I really did not care to much for them.

I have Lacy's full Hsing-I series. I also have his complete Splashing hands series. He continued the 2 he shot for UP on his own. I think its like 9-10 videos. I think I have his Tien Gunn videos too. I have so many I forget. Mostly I got this stuff for training ideas and exposure to what else was out there. I certainly never trained most of what I bought/got. Most of my training back then revolved around heavy contact sparring and I thought most of this stuff was ****E back then. I could not see the value outside of fighting/ self defense. What else it had to offer. It was all about banging heads to me long ago. Not that I was any good at that but it was what I did. I'd be the first to admit I SUCKED! Truth is most guys suck at banging heads yet I did it for a decade or so. It's hard on your body! Most guys highly overrate how good they believe themselves to be.

Still, when I had extra cash I bought videos across the board. What could I take from this guy/style. Truthfully, I did not take much. Rules don't allow for certain things to work as directed and some things wont work regardless what someone tells you. Leaving me to conclude maybe it was trained for other reasons.

Anyway. I really do not have anything else to add about Panther. I really don't know much more than what I was exposed to or told 15-20 years ago.

edit:
    LOL. I mean James McNeil. I obviously suffered brain damage. I'll leave it unfixed for a laugh and to poke fun of myself. Sorry for sending anyone on a mad dash to find Lacys Hsing-I tapes. LOL.
    Last edited by boxerbilly; 03-11-2015 at 03:33 PM.

Greetings Brat,

You owe me BIG TIME for this and if this happens for you I want a free set of Danny Padilla tapes.

https://greenville.craigslist.org/emd/4852844297.html

mickey