I actually saw this back in May but with our tournament, totally forgot to post a review.

I found Mile 22 disappointing.

A special ops team has to get Iko 22 miles for an airlift out of some Asian country. Iko is good but his fight scenes are shot Hollywood-style, one strike, one cut, completely emasculating the choreography. Mostly this is about an agro Marky Mark, who talks way too much and takes far to much spotlight away from the rest of the cast. Ronda is really good in this. Iko is good too. They both actually act enough to create palpable characters. Malkovich is cool as always too. If only Marky would shut up. He rants on and on, explaining the special ops org and other obvious plot points that we really don't need to know, plus he *****es at everyone. He's just annoying and the only funny bits are comments by the other characters on how annoying he is.

The movie would've been great if it was just those three and Marky was cut out. The action is dumb for the most part - a lot of focus on the Orwellian surveillance team which has drones, control of the stoplights and access to every CCTV camera, even inside terrorist cells. The mcguffin was okay but after putting up with too much agromarky, I wasn't invested in it. Marky's madness is explained as some childhood psychological issue after being a savant and losing his family, but it would've played out better for me if he was just a speed freak.

The film cost $35M and made that back plus 1M in the US and another $14M global. The TV series was supposed to happen last year, and a sequel was planned but I've not heard any progress on that. It's just as well. Except for a few encouraging scenes with Iko and Ronda, this film isn't worth a franchise at all. It's not even worth the watch. I should've just watched Merantau again.