Thread: Choy Lee Fut-- something for everyone?

Choy Lee Fut-- something for everyone?

At this point, I am really leaning toward the CLF. It feels natural, and seems to have what I'm looking for. Only one concern though....it seems to be mostly a long fist style, suitable for people with longer limbs. I am somewhat shorter, with strong legs and a lower center of gravity. Gichin Funakoshi said something like Naha-te (upright, frontal styles) for shorter people, and Shuri-Te (horse stance, side facing) for taller. I'm wondering if this holds any weight when it comes to these arts, or does it really adjust to the practitioner? Would I be better off doing something that capitalized on my natural advantages? Please, I am trying to avoid the generic "Yoo must find good TEE-CHAH!!!" type of responses, and only discuss specifics. thanks

One mistake people always make about CLF is thinking and saying it's only a 'long-arm' style, to be used at long range. Contrary to popular belief among many non-CLF people, it has both long and short range. Keep in mind also that the long movements can be shortened/tightened up. Large movements are practiced to open up the body and to develop a wide range of movement, as well as long power. That doesn't necessarily require someone to be tall, lanky and long-limbed. I'm on the shorter side of average height (5'9" and currently 165 pounds), and am very comfortable with it. I know (and know of) very good CLF people of all sizes and shapes.

You say CLF feels natural and seems to have what you're looking for. Does that mean you're already training in it? If so, then you seem to have answered your own question.

CLF is very accommodating for different body shapes. But I won't say it's for everyone. No MA fits everyone. Whatever art you can have an affinity for and make work is what's suitable for you. Train what you like and are able to train properly in. Otherwise, you could spend years trying to find an art that should theoretically fit your body type that may or may not work for you.

*edit to add:

Even if you tried it and decided CLF wasn't for you, it's usually much easier to go from a style like CLF to other arts with a narrower specialization, such as one of the southern 'short-hand" styles, than the other way around.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 03-04-2015 at 12:11 AM.

I think is like all gong fu - if your body responds to it then it seems natural. If it feels natural it comes so much easier.
    I have been curious here and there about focusing on that for a bit and seeing how much of it came naturally for me.
    I am like the spider monkey and limbs almost too long vs height.
    In and out? In some ways I feel long fighting is riskier and close is expedient, so it's really whatever the circumstance. Best to have some grip of both.
    "The perfect way to do, is to be" ~ Lao Tzu

southern chinese are midgets and clf is southern kung fu, so u will have no problem

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

I'm a hop gar man and the style is a long hand style but with short hand techniques as well that are very good. I am 6' and slender with long arms. My sihing is 5'6' and with the shorter height comes shorter arms. He still whoops up on people with the long arms. In fact, the idea of the long arm techniques help him deal with people of a longer reach. So you could actually use that systems techniques to your advantage to improve your range.

But man, always do what you feel comfortable in.