Thread: Wing Chun in Japan (Tokyo/Miyazaki-Shi/Kobayashi)

Wing Chun in Japan (Tokyo/Miyazaki-Shi/Kobayashi)

I will be visiting Japan and have been looking for some schools to visit. My first half of the trip I will be in Shinjuku, Tokyo. I've found some schools, but almost all of the listings that are current seem to be in and around Yokohama, which is an hour away from where I will be staying. I'll be with the wife and kid so I'll have to keep my travel time short.

The second half of the trip I'll be the most southern island in the Miyazaki Prefecture: 2 days in Miyazaki City and 2 days in Kobayashi City. I've unfortunately not been able to find any solid listings in either city.

If anyone can point in the right direction, I'll really appreciate it. FYI, My wife is Japanese national and I speak enough Japanese to communicate basic ideas, so there shouldn't be much of a language barrier if that is a concern.

Hi there!

Wing chun is virtually unknown other than a few groups in Tokyo and Osaka respectively.
    Northern styles are more popular over here - there never was the Cantonese or Fukkien
    southern Chinese emigration like seen in the West here.

What lineage of Wing Chun do you do? I might be able to suggest some groups.

Wing Chun in Tokyo

Quote Originally Posted by Almost A Ghost View Post
    I will be visiting Japan and have been looking for some schools to visit. My first half of the trip I will be in Shinjuku, Tokyo. I've found some schools, but almost all of the listings that are current seem to be in and around Yokohama, which is an hour away from where I will be staying. I'll be with the wife and kid so I'll have to keep my travel time short.

The second half of the trip I'll be the most southern island in the Miyazaki Prefecture: 2 days in Miyazaki City and 2 days in Kobayashi City. I've unfortunately not been able to find any solid listings in either city.

If anyone can point in the right direction, I'll really appreciate it. FYI, My wife is Japanese national and I speak enough Japanese to communicate basic ideas, so there shouldn't be much of a language barrier if that is a concern.

Hi, you can visit either of these 2 schools

Traditional Wing Chun Japan (William Cheung Wing Chun)

Sifu Ki Innis (originally from New York City, student of Master Victor Parlati)
    http://brianh608.wix.com/wingchunjapan

Sifu Freddy Wong (originally from Hong Kong, student of Grandmaster William Cheung)
    http://brianh608.wix.com/twcjapan

OR...

You can visit something a bit outside of the normal paradigm.

www.aunkai.net

Panda
    Looking for practice partners in New York City.

Push hands, internal strength conditioning, sparring.

Quote Originally Posted by Gowgee View Post
    Hi there!

What lineage of Wing Chun do you do? I might be able to suggest some groups.
    My lineage is Ip Ching. A WC cousin from another forum already got me in contact with someone close to Shinjuku, but if you know of any others I'll appreciate any help.